Prefab construction materials in the DR

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
I am in the planning phase of constructing a house in the Dominican Republic, for retirement and vacation purposes.

Here in Norway where I live there are available prefabricated concrete-like slabs, 60 cms wide and with a variety of lengths, ranging between 2,5 and 8 meters, that are used to make roofs - and floors for more than one-level houses with walls made of block - or LECA as they are called over here, that is Light Expanded Clay Aggregate.

Does anybody know if similar items are available in the DR? I imagine they would be a lot cheaper than using the normal process of constructing the ceiling and/or roof in one piece on the spot, like my wife and I did constructing our first Dominican one-level house.
If not, maybe I could start a business making them?

Regards,

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Paulino

Prefab housing is used only by government construction projects for the poor. Some developers are trying to introduce this construction process, but Dominicans dislike this method. They consider it cheap and commonplace.

Anyone who builds prefab housing will have to deal with low or almost no resale value in DR.

Commercial use of prefab beams and other structures are being used for commercial purposes, specially in parking areas.

TW

Tin cans

They should move some redneck tin cans (trailers) (mobile homes) call them what you want, Florida is loaded with them, put them on the north shore to prevent them from blowing away in hurricanes and then we the poor tourist can move into a mobile home park for the winter. Everything else is completely out of reach for the average person.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Not True Wud....

I saw some lovely apts advertized for sale on the North coast for $23,0000.US. Even us poor cousins up in Canada can afford that.
Now for the average Domincan that is definitely out of reach however you did reference tourists!!!:D

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Re: Prefab beams for house construction

I appreciate your answer to my inquiry Golo. However I am not interested in a prefab house, just prefab beams for ceiling and floor above ground. In other words, the horizontal parts of the main building structure. In my experience they are unreasonably expensive to build on the spot. What with the temporary wooden structures and all. The rest of the house, that is the walls, would be built from blocks on the spot.

Only last year my wife paid 60,000 pesos for the construction of the concrete steel reinforced ceiling/roof of the one-floor block house of 80 sq.meters we already own. Surely there must be more cost-effective ways and methods that don't provoke the disgust of Dominicans in general.

Perhaps companies that make those prefab beams etc for commercial purposes that you mention could make the beams that I need, to order. Unless they already make and stock them. Wish I had some names and addresses, though.

Best regards,

H. Weberg ("Paulino")

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
There are prestress concrete fabricators in Santo Domingo. They will make anything you want. I don't think it will be cost effective as the local wage for civil workers is extremely low, about 100 peso a day.

If you email me I can send you some names of prefab concrete suppliers and of a civil contractor who might be able to answer some questions.

Where do you intend to buld your house?

I am a US Construction Manager on a power plant project in the DR.