Question about purchasing property

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
We are in the process of purchacing some property from Banco Central. The property is fenced and well defined.

The bank has the title in the banks name and can transfer it at the closing. The problem is that the "deslinde" would take 6-8 months to get afterwards.

First: I assume that "deslinde" translates to survey?
Second: Is this a normal situation or should I suspect something?

thanks,
Stephen

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A deslinde is not just a survey. It's an official survey, done under the supervision of the Land Court, which segregates a property from other properties surrounding it, giving it a unique cadastral designation and a unique Certificate of Title.

If the deslinde has not been done, the property is officially a part of a larger parcel of land and the different owners of the different properties within the parcel have the same cadastral designation. Their ownership over their respective pieces of property is established pretty much by possession.

Many properties in the D.R. don't have deslindes. The problem is that the procedure for doing it is a lot more time consuming than it should be. In the last three or four years, trying to do deslindes has been a real disaster for every real estate attorney in the country and their clients. I personally have deslindes in the Land Court that have been in limbo for more than 3 years. Some of the files have just been lost by the Court. The situation is supposed to change for the better soon with the current reorganization of the Land Court.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Fabio,

I believe the bank has already had one done when they had the title translated to their name. Since the land is not being divided, we should have any problem

thanks
Stephen