Money

iles68

Mar 21, 2002
CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHICH CURRENCY IS BEST TO BRING

COMING FROM UK
Best to bring Dominican Pesos, or american dollars.

Travellers cheques best in american dollars or pounds sterling.

Staying in all inclusive resort have read in reports it may be worth while tipping maid and mini bar stocker in the room as this improves service even better.
Anyone familiar with this practice and what size tips are the norm?

thanks STEVE

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tips & Currency

You are best off bringing $US Dollers Travellers cheques. Most hotels accept both.

Tips
You can give between 10 $RD to 50 $RD depending on what they did for you. I usually give 20 $RD for most things..

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Bring US travelers checks. Do NOT cash at the hotels because you will lose 5-10 percent in the translation. Go to the bank and ask the rates and then go to the currency exchanging stores and shop. Western Union does real well there.

My advice is skipping the All inclusives. The people are so friendly there you won't need to be entertained. Go out to the local places. I prefer the NE coast. I usually fly into Puerto Plata and rent a car and drive 5 minutes to Sosua. I you have questions about Sosua or the NE Coast you can email me at Jazzcom@usa.net and I will be happy to answer any questions.

I have been 6 times since sept 11th and already have Christmas and New Years booked but will travel before that to the DR.

Regards

norwegianguy

Mar 8, 2002
I would recomend creditcard.
just came back from a visit to sosua and had with me some US$ and a norwegian credit card. I was really glad that I didn't bring much cash (US) since I got a much better exchange rate just using my card in an ATM, and since you probably have two exchangerates to keep up with UK? to US$ and then US$ to RDP it is probably a good idea for you too to use a card

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I second Norwegianguy.......

I bring about $100.US to have the departure fee and use my credit card for cash withdrawals. Always get a better exchange rate and you don't have to pay the fees for exchanging your money to American and then Dominican.