transport strike in PP announced

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from monday (6th of march) morning until wednesday morning there will be a transport strike in PP. no public transport and no transport carrying goods:
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...transporte-de-carga-en-puerto-plata-IF9326921
the syndicates are demanding fixing many roads on the north coast.

usually when that happens the heavy trucks block one lane both going in and out of the city. sometimes they also stop along the main streets taking one lane also.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
from monday (6th of march) morning until wednesday morning there will be a transport strike in PP. no public transport and no transport carrying goods:
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...transporte-de-carga-en-puerto-plata-IF9326921
the syndicates are demanding fixing many roads on the north coast.

usually when that happens the heavy trucks block one lane both going in and out of the city. sometimes they also stop along the main streets taking one lane also.

I can't argue with them, that road (PP-Navarrete) is in a sad and dangerous condition. I've seen few roadworks in this country, and the way they have organized the construction or reparation of the road, is just a vergüenza...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No disagreement from me either. The ridiculous manner in which the PP-Navarrete road work is being done, if you can all it done , or can even predict a decade in which it might finish at the pace it proceeds at, would be comical if it were not so necessary.

Where I live the section of the main highway between Cabarete and Sosua gets worse every day with no action taken to repair it while all of the barrios have been repaved (I know the votes are in barrios). People will be injured or killed while passing over the center line to avoid pot holes, their suspensions and tires damaged, etc but that does not seem to matter to those in charge. It's just the same sh** on a different day when it comes to the highway.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What's causing the creation of these potholes? With no frost heave one should be able to conclude that a quality mix of asphalt should last longer than it does.

I've seen poor patch repair techniques used and some holes filled with stuff that more closely resembles concrete than asphalt. Even when sections are repaved and well compacted with a roller, the surface does not seem to have any sort of longevity before pieces break off.

What are they doing wrong?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
What's causing the creation of these potholes? With no frost heave one should be able to conclude that a quality mix of asphalt should last longer than it does.

I've seen poor patch repair techniques used and some holes filled with stuff that more closely resembles concrete than asphalt. Even when sections are repaved and well compacted with a roller, the surface does not seem to have any sort of longevity before pieces break off.

Rainwater that stays on the road is the cause of the potholes.
Tires push the water between the asphalt-parts and because of the pressure they get loose.

So they should make convex roads...and use thicker layers of asphalt of better quality...yeah that will happen...

Filling a pothole just with some concrete won't work.

Roads need maintenance, all the time....but maintenance is not a common thing in the DR...it's actually extremely rare....

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
; week We blew a new tire between Elestrecho and Imbert.... very dangerous section.
I noticed that on the way to Villa Isabella the road deterioration seems most in low lying areas where the water hydraulics are from under the road. We cannot compress water so I guess it will travel to the place of least resistance ''up'' and the pavement takes the torture. It is possibly the substrate under the pavement that causes the problem. It does not drain properly.

They are going to great measures in POP around the AMber Cove section to keep water from the road substrate. Water management seems to be the key to the situation. Top that with a proper formula for pavement and the situation will be at least 50% better. Which simply means my new tire would last two months instead on one.
Welcome to the RD.

Russell

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I guessed poor quality asphalt, but not thick enough and poor drainage. Decent engineering would be nice. Pooling water should be a thing of the past, but in light of the slope away from the drain in all my showers, I can see how this concept is lost on many here. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

When they put down blacktop, they do not prepare the bed properly. Then they put down a skim coat of asphalt which gets beaten up by the traffic in a few months so it looks good when the President drives over it. Poor execution and shoddy workmanship are the reasons. They need to redo the road properly and not just keep putting quick and poor repairs on top of a bad and irregular surface.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Peterj nailed the answer. Flat and not crowned road construction with water pooling on the surface pulverizes the asphalt as vehicles ride on it. And the asphalt is so thin that it does not take long to destroy it.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
They have my full support. Just another example of how this corrupt government has completely abandoned the North Coast.

You hardly see roads in similar condition in the South East. That's where the senators' and President's money is.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When they put down blacktop, they do not prepare the bed properly. Then they put down a skim coat of asphalt which gets beaten up by the traffic in a few months so it looks good when the President drives over it. Poor execution and shoddy workmanship are the reasons. They need to redo the road properly and not just keep putting quick and poor repairs on top of a bad and irregular surface.

Exactly right - an asphalt road is a flexible structure but it requires a strong but well graded and slightly-giving base, usually compacted crushed rock which has some draining capability, preferably.
Paving over mud, which they do when patching in the DR, creates a base that flexes too much and it is only a matter of a few heavy truck axles until the asphalt shears and more water enters to separate the asphalt from any binder between the upper and lower strata.
Concrete plugs don't flex with the asphalt so it is like mixing oil and water - they separate.

A solution while keeping a road open is hard because the road should be taken back to dirt, reshaped for drainage, culverts added and a real road bed places that will support the loads (Think flagmen, one lane and lots of traffic backup - except for the taxis who would drive around the flagmen).
One other note is that many of the dump trucks hauling dirt are way over loaded - if you see mounds above the side boards on a 10-wheeler it is over loaded and no asphalt road can stand up to that for long, nor truck springs.

But what annoys me just as much is adding layers to streets without grinding down the wearing layer so that the asphalt is almost level with the curb except for a small deep strip along the curb where putrid water collects.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
I am in Santo Domingo at the moment and need to get to Sosua tomorrow, Monday, afternoon.  On the assumption that Caribe tours will not be able to get through, can anyone please advise me of the likely cost of a taxi from (a) Santo Domingo to Sosua and (b) Santiago to Sosua?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It may not be easy for any syndico member to get across Puerto Plata if the strike is big enough. Any transport you hire should probably come via the Sabaneta road. $200 USD is a rate I hear a lot. Uber may be a little cheaper. Check the rates in the app tomorrow morning.

Walk up to just about any tourist taxi (it's a long drive) and wave $160+ in their face and they will probably take you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You should be able to catch Caribe Tours/Metro to at least Santiago. CT to La Vega even. From there cab it into Sosua via the Sabeneta Rd. Save a chunk of change.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am pretty sure caribe buses will be going as usual but they may take longer is PP gets congested.

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Thanks for the advice.  We will sleep on it, see how we get on at the Migration Office in the morning and then decide what to do.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

Maybe the RD citizens should follow the Scottish protest. They started to fill all potholes with cooked oatmeal.. got the attention of Government. someone maj pay attention... then again maybe not.we could use Bull ****, and get it televised.....