Las Galeras v Las Terrenas

jessies3

Mar 4, 2018
Trying to decide where to stay for 5 days.  We are three friends (female) and don't want to rent a car.  We'd like to be based in a small hotel/apartment where we will be able to walk to a few beaches and restaurants.  We plan to visit the Salto Limon and tour some beaches.

I have read that LT has many more restaurants and nightlife.  We are not so much in need of that as long as we are able to walk a few small restaurants and have a cocktail or two at night.

So far I am leaning towards LG but it seems like maybe there are more beaches in walking distance from LT?  I also have read LT has more exhaust, traffic, overall noise.

Thanks!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Trying to decide where to stay for 5 days.  We are three friends (female) and don't want to rent a car.  We'd like to be based in a small hotel/apartment where we will be able to walk to a few beaches and restaurants.  We plan to visit the Salto Limon and tour some beaches.

I have read that LT has many more restaurants and nightlife.  We are not so much in need of that as long as we are able to walk a few small restaurants and have a cocktail or two at night.

So far I am leaning towards LG but it seems like maybe there are more beaches in walking distance from LT?  I also have read LT has more exhaust, traffic, overall noise.

Thanks!

I found the night life in LT to be a snoozer of the worst kind. Maybe I went at a bad time but I could not have been more bored - it was at least a dozen years ago.

jessies3

Mar 4, 2018
Hotel Alisei and Hotel Marilar look good.  anyone can recommend smaller family run places?  thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You won't go wrong w/ Alisei...

just step across the road and you can walk for miles/hours on the beach....
quiet... bars/restaurants within easy distance on foot.

The peninsula can be toured in various manners - quads, vehicles....
The hotel will set you up

Wait for the former mayor -- Steve to chime in

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There are loads of hotels in LT - and prices vary a lot so it depends on your budget. LT is busier but has little real nightlife until about 11 p.m. when the discos open. I usually find myself sitting having a drink outside a colmado if I want to watch the world go by. There are a lot of restaurants. LG is much smaller and quieter but there are a couple of bar/restaurants where you can while away an evening.

jessies3

Mar 4, 2018
There are loads of hotels in LT - and prices vary a lot so it depends on your budget. LT is busier but has little real nightlife until about 11 p.m. when the discos open. I usually find myself sitting having a drink outside a colmado if I want to watch the world go by. There are a lot of restaurants. LG is much smaller and quieter but there are a couple of bar/restaurants where you can while away an evening.

Both sound fabulous. Which has more walking access to beaches ?  Budget is around $100 per night. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You might look at Atlantis.... Former personal chef for Mitterrand owns it and cooks.

Good beaches and a quiet community.

Let others speak to it.... just a suggestion 

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I think we have to wait until morning when the former mayor replies with quote Willy
You won't go wrong w/ Alisei...

just step across the road and you can walk for miles/hours on the beach....
quiet... bars/restaurants within easy distance on foot.

The peninsula can be toured in various manners - quads, vehicles....
The hotel will set you up

Wait for the former mayor -- Steve to chime in

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
They both have walkable or on the beach hotels. LG also does have a little night life late and a few good restaurants. The key with LG is you can boat to some awesome beaches. Frank12 has posted some good videos of them.
Both sound fabulous. Which has more walking access to beaches ?  Budget is around $100 per night. 

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
In LT much more and better beaches in walking distance than in LG.
I would forget the Hotel Atlantis: not in LT (you need a car/concho to get to LT), no night life, expensive.
LG has no night life outside high season.

jessies3

Mar 4, 2018
In LT much more and better beaches in walking distance than in LG.
I would forget the Hotel Atlantis: not in LT (you need a car/concho to get to LT), no night life, expensive.
LG has no night life outside high season.

Thanks, thinking of staying in LT and doing a day and night trip to las galeras. Would salto Limon be easier to access from LT or LG?  Also , yes Atlantis is out of price range. 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hotel Alisei and Hotel Marilar look good.  anyone can recommend smaller family run places?  thanks
Our group just spent four nights at Hotel Atlantis on Playa Bonito. Totally awesome. The owner is a French chef. The food, while pricy, is completely off-the-charts.

Hotel Atlantis is magical. Every one of the 18 rooms is different, no cookie cutters there. The best way to describe it is A French Hobbit hotel on the beach with 1st Class European management and service staff.

One of our waiters was a Russian Jew who grew up in Paris and relocated to LT with his parents. We had an Israeli couple on tour and the who bonded with him...in Hebrew.

Memories of the fondest kind...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You must have had the Mitterand chef cooking.....reported to be excellent

The Presidential Palace in Paris rotates the chef annually..
this fellow had a year there during Mitterand

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks, thinking of staying in LT and doing a day and night trip to las galeras. Would salto Limon be easier to access from LT or LG?  Also , yes Atlantis is out of price range. 
Ist just a 30 min guagua-ride from LT to the trail for the salto. Too far from LG. In an old thread I have described a way to go there on your own. I'll try to find it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You must have had the Mitterand chef cooking.....reported to be excellent

The Presidential Palace in Paris rotates the chef annually..
this fellow had a year there during Mitterand
AND he's a really nice guy!

Incredible food. The restaurant stands by itself. I had a perfect creme brûlée one evening, and dorado on coconut cream sauce on another. Beef carrpacio for an appetizer one evening, smoked fish filet on another. Filet with peppercorn sauce. Not typical "MotoCaribe" food fare, but incredible.