Cabarete beach 4/03/2018 - Strongly waves

Basementality

Nov 12, 2017
Have you seen today the main beach in Cabarete? Strong waves cut a large layer of sand. People confusing from their feet. The waves came very far. Huge pieces of wood are thrown ashore. A few palms will fall soon. :ninja:

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Impossible to swim today in grande, Breton, encuentro... But increíble to watch from the sky

2zi9bfm.jpg

709s1t.jpg

2drxn3p.jpg

fu7v4i.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Basementality

Nov 12, 2017
Last night a few palms washed away into the ocean. Between Pomodoro and Ocean One. There were a few palms yesterday.
2ag2mc0.jpg

drisforme

May 28, 2016
In a different trail of email ,I was mentioning LEK for kite boarding lessons.
They are pretty hit with those strong wave:
24y1pip.jpg

Millennium as well :
2v3qafo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The surf actually washed up across the road near the police station in Cabarete and supposedly into a couple of the restaurants/bars on Cabarete Beach.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Here on the east it's the same. Macao beach is pretty much closed as the waves came in and flooded the road. It looks like 15' to 20' breakers where it's normally 5'.
The ocean has that dirty murky look too it instead of the blues and greens.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The surf actually washed up across the road near the police station in Cabarete and supposedly into a couple of the restaurants/bars on Cabarete Beach.

And also right through some of the downtown Cabarete restaurants onto the main road, I just heard.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The big waves have been going on here - Cabrera - for weeks.... without too much wind

That big storm up northeast must have some bearing here... water/waves

and the Gringo's earthquakes add a bit too... but different coast

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...hows that new Life styles building?.. the one they put almost on the water?........

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
This was a forecasted swell caused by the winter storm that just rolled off the eastern seaboard of the US. Big swells pounded most northern shores from Bahamas, DR, PR and the US/BVI's. 

Even though.. "we don't get direct hits from hurricanes because the mountains protect us.." - (heard the same BS in Puerto Rico up until last Sept). Point being, any area that experienced water ingress during this swell will be completely wiped out if/when a major hurricane hits. Plan accordingly.   

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Here in Pop you don't see much.
A bit of bigger waves if you look to the see, but the water isn't washing away the beaches or nothing.

Jan 17, 2009
Is it true that POP was closed yesterday because the waves were flooding the runways?  Read this on another forum and sounds strange but ....

Mañuel1

Mar 11, 2018
I'm having weird issues using the forum, had to create a new account, then can't post URL's?

Anyway, check out Cabarete Pounded by HUGE Waves video on youtube by Manu's Windsurfing Blog to see how it was near high tide. Quite impressive.

Even though the tides were low, the water reached very high. It's still high on the beach now.

Another thing I noticed is that normally North waves bring sand in. Only this time at no point did it ever do that. On the contrary it took sand out but that ended where? In the bay itself? On other shores? Kaïte Beach?