Driving while Gringo (Police corruption alive and well in SD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2014
   First a little history about me. Retired Lt. NYPD with 30 years of service who has been coming to the Dominican Republic since 1988 and have an apartment on the Malecon in the Capital and visit 5-6 times a year from New York.  This morning I left my apartment in my rental SUV and was driving no more than 30 mph in the right lane when a Policia Nacional camioneta passed me and then slowed down and motioned me to pull over. Right away I knew where this was going. A Sgt. exited his vehicle and came to my drivers side window and shook my hand and proceeded to ask me for my documentations.  I presented my Cedula and my NYS drivers license at which point he noticed my gun permit. He asked me if I was carrying and I told him yes. He told me to give him my gun to which I asked why. He said just unload it and give it to him (poor tactics). I released the clip and then cleared the chamber and gave him everything. He proceeded to state I was carrying the gun illegally(gun permit was valid and not expired) but he rambled on and I knew not to escalate the situation. He stated my NYS drivers license was only valid for 30 days even though I told him I just arrived last week. He asked for my passport to prove this but I never travel within the country with my passport because I do not want it lost or stolen. He then proceeded to get in my vehicle and told me to drive with his partner following me. By the way, when he first stopped me I showed him my NYPD identification and also a courtesy card from my friend who is a Major. After about 1000 feet he told me to pull over and stated “I will help you if you help me”.  At this point with no shame he told me to give him 5000 pesos or he will take my gun and arrest me. The vein in my neck was pulsating with anger and I knew this was a no win situation. I handed over the 5000 pesos and then I told him in english “now get the f##k out of my car”. He handed me back my gun and attempted to continue the conversation as though he was my friend. I noticed the nameplate stated Beltran and I asked him his first name and he told me it was Rafael. When I went to reload my gun I was missing the round from the chamber. He had put that round in his clip while we were talking. I asked him for the round since he already got my money and he returned it with a half assed smile.  10 hours later and I am still fuming over this blatant act of corruption. I am more apprehensive and fearful of the police here than the mutts in the street. I am weighing my options because I am not going to let this rest until I bring about some type of closure. My worst mistake was speaking Spanish to him. When I have been stopped in the past I just show my drivers license and say “No Spanish”. Never had a problem. This was a 5000 peso mistake but a mistake that should never occur if the police here were honest. 

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
   First a little history about me. Retired Lt. NYPD with 30 years of service who has been coming to the Dominican Republic since 1988 and have an apartment on the Malecon in the Capital and visit 5-6 times a year from New York.  This morning I left my apartment in my rental SUV and was driving no more than 30 mph in the right lane when a Policia Nacional camioneta passed me and then slowed down and motioned me to pull over. Right away I knew where this was going. A Sgt. exited his vehicle and came to my drivers side window and shook my hand and proceeded to ask me for my documentations.  I presented my Cedula and my NYS drivers license at which point he noticed my gun permit. He asked me if I was carrying and I told him yes. He told me to give him my gun to which I asked why. He said just unload it and give it to him (poor tactics). I released the clip and then cleared the chamber and gave him everything. He proceeded to state I was carrying the gun illegally(gun permit was valid and not expired) but he rambled on and I knew not to escalate the situation. He stated my NYS drivers license was only valid for 30 days even though I told him I just arrived last week. He asked for my passport to prove this but I never travel within the country with my passport because I do not want it lost or stolen. He then proceeded to get in my vehicle and told me to drive with his partner following me. By the way, when he first stopped me I showed him my NYPD identification and also a courtesy card from my friend who is a Major. After about 1000 feet he told me to pull over and stated “I will help you if you help me”.  At this point with no shame he told me to give him 5000 pesos or he will take my gun and arrest me. The vein in my neck was pulsating with anger and I knew this was a no win situation. I handed over the 5000 pesos and then I told him in english “now get the f##k out of my car”. He handed me back my gun and attempted to continue the conversation as though he was my friend. I noticed the nameplate stated Beltran and I asked him his first name and he told me it was Rafael. When I went to reload my gun I was missing the round from the chamber. He had put that round in his clip while we were talking. I asked him for the round since he already got my money and he returned it with a half assed smile.  10 hours later and I am still fuming over this blatant act of corruption. I am more apprehensive and fearful of the police here than the mutts in the street. I am weighing my options because I am not going to let this rest until I bring about some type of closure. My worst mistake was speaking Spanish to him. When I have been stopped in the past I just show my drivers license and say “No Spanish”. Never had a problem. This was a 5000 peso mistake but a mistake that should never occur if the police here were honest. 

Pay back time. I think you deserve it. You belong to the most corrupt police department in the us.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think I’d be calling that Major... if I were you.

Never should have happened... in English or Spanish....

Report the bastard.....

I’m sure youlyfind a way.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was under the impression that PN weren’t even supposed to do traffic stops, only AMET (or whatever their name is now)

I can imagine how angry you are. Are you going to report him?  

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sorry, it was your turn today.

Turn on the recording app on your cellphone next time - evidence, without it you have zero chance of redress unless your Major friend is inclined to get his Colonel involved - more money.

Rule #1 - Never hand over your firearm, force them to arrest you to take it.
Rule #2 - If you do give up your firearm, Never ever under any circumstances give them the mag.
Rule #3 - If they insist on checking the serial number, hand them the slide and keep the receiver.
Rule #4 - Your firearm license should not be visible in your wallet with your other ID and driver's license.

If you give them a complete firearm, they can then shoot you with it, confiscate it to keep for themselves, sell it or gift it to their Colonel for favors. The firearm is the leverage to extort money from you. They know you want it back and will always pay.

You need to file a complaint. You may not get any tangible satisfaction but it may make these boys avoid a next time, cuz they know you now, they know you have money and will pay, it'll be more expensive next time.

Good luck.

Jan 9, 2004
I was under the impression that PN weren’t even supposed to do traffic stops, only AMET (or whatever their name is now)

I can imagine how angry you are. Are you going to report him?  

That is what I have been told as well about the powers of the PN. However, they seem to have a roadblock every Friday afternoon in Moca.....stopping lots of people.

The dislike was a fat finger mistake while reading the post on my iPhone.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I do not like stereo typing of any kind.
There are also good police officers in NYC.
There are also good NP Officers in RD.

What happened to you is nothing shore of atrocious.
Yes, good advice WW ; call that Major.

I think I would have called him on the threat ; called the USA Embassy and held on for a ''**** fight''.
But that's because I am old and getting stupid.
You probably did the right thing providing there is a follow up to the Major.

I find that the people here (no stereo typing) that I know seldom consider the consequences of their actions.
I ask my wife to drive in RD... she is Dominicana , and a feisty argumentative individual. The past LT.General of the NP was a cousin of hers.... She was never short of making a call on the spot to him when were were stopped for the customary $$$ shakedown. Now she just threatens them..... Fu**ing a**holes anyway.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
In the states my concealed permit is concealed just like the gun and only comes up if they ask me to exit the vehicle. Absolutely file a complaint, and call the US embassy too.

Also how do you know the major? I care more about getting a card like that in my wallet, than about residency, a cédula or local license. But I don't know where to meet and befriend any high up police officers in Santiago [emoji28]

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
This happens by chance and luck. Those who try to befriend you from alone may want the same - money one way or the other wanna bet?

In the past I was recommended a lawyer for my residencia. Turned out she is a General (Armed Forces) too. Meanwhile she is a friend and our marriage witness.

The other witness is Army Major, the padrino of our baby boy another major and the fav uncle of my wife is an Army Colonel.

When I am being stopped and I see there is something not quite right, Ii just call one of these and thats it. :D One always picks up the phone. :D

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
I regret your situation. Let me suggest this for the future: When stopped, simply tell the officer that you need to call a friend, and call your friend the major on the spot. If your friend is like mine, he will ask you to hand the phone to the officer. This should resolve the difficulty in most situations. Unless I know the PN, I will not speak Spanish with them, unless I am asking if they know where my friend is working in the location or telling them that I need to call my friend. A PN group stopped me once when I had a military friend in the vehicle. I spoke first, in English, saying hello and asking how things were going. When they asked if I spoke Spanish, I just looked at them and continued in English as I do not lie to the police. My friend gave me a dirty look--she knows that I speak Spanish--flashed her military ID to them, and told me to drive. I hesitated, since the PN did not tell me to move. My friend said to them that she is military and "we" are leaving. I drove off. I do not deal with the PN, unless I know them. Last, please do not stereotype the PN. All police departments have good and bad officers, as you should know.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
5000 pesos seems a bargain, especially since he could have kept a $1,000 handgun.

But if indeed you have his name right - beware exposing him, because you could become a marked man and even if you have friends in high places - so might the policeman including maybe powerful relatives, or gang members willing to run his scams or shakedowns.
And they know your currentt rental car now too.

Stop carrying the weapon, change cars and hopefully you didn't give them your local address.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
5000 pesos seems a bargain, especially since he could have kept a $1,000 handgun.

But if indeed you have his name right - beware exposing him, because you could become a marked man and even if you have friends in high places - so might the policeman including maybe powerful relatives, or gang members willing to run his scams or shakedowns.

Stop carrying the weapon, change cars and hopefully you didn't give them your local address.

seems like you are the only guy in this thread who understands how things work in these parts of the world.

this ain't Boise, guys. if you are some foreigner in places like third world countries, and crap like this happens, just chalk it up to the old bad day syndrome, and move on. trying to get him in trouble is a bad plan. think about the arithmetic. there is one of you, and 10 million Dominicans. you could get hit by a car...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You've been coming here for a long time, so you know stories like this are pretty common. I would just forget about it and chalk it up to experience - lessons learned.

Remember what Confucius said: "Before you embark on a journey of revenge - dig two graves".

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You've been coming here for a long time, so you know stories like this are pretty common. I would just forget about it and chalk it up to experience - lessons learned.

Remember what Confucius said: "Before you embark on a journey of revenge - dig two graves".

the more i think about some of these responses, the more i shake my head. yeah...report him. try to get him disciplined, or, worse yet, fired. so, he loses his only source of income, and now he is mad as hell. he can't come up with money for pampers and leche, and loses his dwelling. meanwhile, you are out there floating around. stuff like that makes for bad headlines.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Obviously, you had a Dominican gun permit right? How did you get a cedula without living here? You changed your official residency to DR even though you live in NY?

Apr 10, 2014

I have thought exactly the same and do not want to be a target. This cop patrols the Malecon where I have my apartment and where I do my morning 3 mile runs along the Malecon. “Accidents” can happen. And yes, I normally do not carry my gun during the day but I was on my way to Santiago to pick up my wife at the time of this incident.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have thought exactly the same and do not want to be a target. This cop patrols the Malecon where I have my apartment and where I do my morning 3 mile runs along the Malecon. “Accidents” can happen. And yes, I normally do not carry my gun during the day but I was on my way to Santiago to pick up my wife at the time of this incident.

I guess i will never understand this need to carry a gun thing.

Don't speaky no Spanish, tell PN you have no cash and do they take credit card............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.