Las Terrenas Trip Report

rfahriowa

Dec 25, 2017
First - Thanks to DR1 responses to my request for help as we prepared for our first ever trip to the Samana Peninsula region. Your thoughts and suggestions really helped.

We returned yesterday from 9 nights at the Viva Wyndham V outside of Las Terrenas. Other than having to sleep on the floor in the Newark, NJ airport [on the way back to Iowa due to thousands of weather related flight delays] it was a great trip.

We chose Samana for; a change from our normal Mexican trips, for the unique and beautiful scenery, to stay at a smaller adult-only AI with amenities but close to a smaller city, to learn about Dominican people and their culture, because the price was right, and of course to spend time as a couple. We accomplished all of this to a high level.

The Viva V is a nice resort. Trip Advisor reviews had told us it was slow pace, the food was average, and there was a language barrier at times for people speaking English. All of this was very accurate. The Viva V is set up for a French and Italian speaking audience, right down to the choice of nightly music in the lobby. The rooms are small and clean. The beach is nice, although not really ideal to swim. You can walk down Corson beach for miles to the southwest or in the other direction towards Bonita for at least several miles, with various great food/drink options in both directions. I am not going to go into the same detail on DR1 about this resort as I will on trip advisor, but it is not a 4 star, but it is nice. You can get day trips, etc, planned for you last minute at the hotel, although we chose to line our own up. A few of the staff speak English.

Viva V is not close enough to spend a lot of time in Las Terrenas unless you want to spend $40-$50 a trip on a cab. We were in Las Terrenas three times, twice on the way to day trips, once to see the town. Once you get down into the Pueblo De Los Pescadores area there is plenty to do, and we felt pretty safe. In fact, we felt safe the entire trip, and we were off of the resort a lot. We partied a little off of the resort, but never past dark. I am not sure I would party after dark off the resort unless I was with someone who knew the area and the language. The beach at Punta Popy is vastly superior to the one downtown.

I would advise to use Dominican currency. We exchanged up front and only took as much with us as we needed for one day, but there were many places to easily exchange money in Las Terrenas. Credit Card use was available everywhere, but we did not wish to test that. We used Sun transfer for a private shuttle from Santo Domingo to and from the Viva V. They were timely, vehicles were clean and in good working order, and they got their task done. Neither driver spoke any English so it was a quiet two hour trip. We would use them again.

We had four day trips planned, and one got cancelled. We did a half day trip to El Limon waterfall, a whale watching trip combined with a Cayo Levantado visit which required a trip to Samana City, and a three beach boat trip [Fronton, Playita, Rincon] which initiated in Las Galeras. We used Flora tours for the three beach tour and Peninsula Tours for the other two. We would consider using both again. Flora provided a great day and fantastic meal at the La Playita restaurant. I wish I could remember the name of the only English speaking guy, but his communication made the trip for us. Moving from spot to spot, fighting a thunder storm on the way to Fronton, organization at the start of the tour, etc, all would have been scary without any communication. The guide at Peninsula for both trips was Henry. He is without question one of the nicest, sincere, caring, funny, sharing people we have encountered on any trip anywhere. Both Peninsula trips would have been fun without him as the other Peninsula people spoke some English and were nice, but Henry is wonderful. He speaks four languages fluently. His pride in his country and it's people is amazingly evident. He spends the day trying to teach you when he could get away with much less.

Two other observations. I would not attempt to drive in the Dominican unless I could read the signs and understood the driving "culture". Let's just say that to an American it is a little nuts! Also - there are dogs everywhere! They will not harm you.

We will return to this area at some point. It was a great experience. The scenery is some of the best we have ever seen, anywhere. The Dominican people make you want to come back.

Many thanks DR1!

Randy from Iowa.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Great to hear you had such a good time on your trip to what I think is the most beautiful part of the DR. It is my plan and goal to build an oceanfront estate in the near future somewhere in this area. I love the whole Samana Peninsula. Great choice....

rfahriowa

Dec 25, 2017
Hi Blueceo,

Wow - an oceanfront villa in this area would be awesome! We will continue to see as much of the Caribbean as we can, but we will be back. Maybe some day our paths will cross!

Randy from Iowa

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Randy, so glad you enjoyed this part of paradise......and thank you for sharing your experiences which are probably more relevant to future visitors than those of us accustomed to places such as Samana. This is the true value of a forum such as DR1 when folk like you engage members for advice, visit and then share your experiences for the benefit of others.

You didn't mention having visited Luis Restaurant, but perhaps that was one of the food and drink options going south west on Coson beach?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
First - Thanks to DR1 responses to my request for help as we prepared for our first ever trip to the Samana Peninsula region. Your thoughts and suggestions really helped.

We returned yesterday from 9 nights at the Viva Wyndham V outside of Las Terrenas. Other than having to sleep on the floor in the Newark, NJ airport [on the way back to Iowa due to thousands of weather related flight delays] it was a great trip.

We chose Samana for; a change from our normal Mexican trips, for the unique and beautiful scenery, to stay at a smaller adult-only AI with amenities but close to a smaller city, to learn about Dominican people and their culture, because the price was right, and of course to spend time as a couple. We accomplished all of this to a high level.

The Viva V is a nice resort. Trip Advisor reviews had told us it was slow pace, the food was average, and there was a language barrier at times for people speaking English. All of this was very accurate. The Viva V is set up for a French and Italian speaking audience, right down to the choice of nightly music in the lobby. The rooms are small and clean. The beach is nice, although not really ideal to swim. You can walk down Corson beach for miles to the southwest or in the other direction towards Bonita for at least several miles, with various great food/drink options in both directions. I am not going to go into the same detail on DR1 about this resort as I will on trip advisor, but it is not a 4 star, but it is nice. You can get day trips, etc, planned for you last minute at the hotel, although we chose to line our own up. A few of the staff speak English.

Viva V is not close enough to spend a lot of time in Las Terrenas unless you want to spend $40-$50 a trip on a cab. We were in Las Terrenas three times, twice on the way to day trips, once to see the town. Once you get down into the Pueblo De Los Pescadores area there is plenty to do, and we felt pretty safe. In fact, we felt safe the entire trip, and we were off of the resort a lot. We partied a little off of the resort, but never past dark. I am not sure I would party after dark off the resort unless I was with someone who knew the area and the language. The beach at Punta Popy is vastly superior to the one downtown.

I would advise to use Dominican currency. We exchanged up front and only took as much with us as we needed for one day, but there were many places to easily exchange money in Las Terrenas. Credit Card use was available everywhere, but we did not wish to test that. We used Sun transfer for a private shuttle from Santo Domingo to and from the Viva V. They were timely, vehicles were clean and in good working order, and they got their task done. Neither driver spoke any English so it was a quiet two hour trip. We would use them again.

We had four day trips planned, and one got cancelled. We did a half day trip to El Limon waterfall, a whale watching trip combined with a Cayo Levantado visit which required a trip to Samana City, and a three beach boat trip [Fronton, Playita, Rincon] which initiated in Las Galeras. We used Flora tours for the three beach tour and Peninsula Tours for the other two. We would consider using both again. Flora provided a great day and fantastic meal at the La Playita restaurant. I wish I could remember the name of the only English speaking guy, but his communication made the trip for us. Moving from spot to spot, fighting a thunder storm on the way to Fronton, organization at the start of the tour, etc, all would have been scary without any communication. The guide at Peninsula for both trips was Henry. He is without question one of the nicest, sincere, caring, funny, sharing people we have encountered on any trip anywhere. Both Peninsula trips would have been fun without him as the other Peninsula people spoke some English and were nice, but Henry is wonderful. He speaks four languages fluently. His pride in his country and it's people is amazingly evident. He spends the day trying to teach you when he could get away with much less.

Two other observations. I would not attempt to drive in the Dominican unless I could read the signs and understood the driving "culture". Let's just say that to an American it is a little nuts! Also - there are dogs everywhere! They will not harm you.

We will return to this area at some point. It was a great experience. The scenery is some of the best we have ever seen, anywhere. The Dominican people make you want to come back.

Many thanks DR1!

Randy from Iowa.

I'm glad you had a great time. If you decide to come back I would suggest staying at either the Aleisi or Hotel Colibri on Playa Las Ballenas on the beach road in Las Terrenas. Much better location and swimming beach. You are not as isolated as staying out at the Wyndham. These however are not all-inclusives but with the wide choice of restaurants in LT you might be better off going this route. Good luck and good travels.

rfahriowa

Dec 25, 2017
Yes, both places southwest of Viva V on Coson were great [Luis twice and Los Rios de Valerio once]. We also ate on Bonita at a place that was at the far end of sidewalk paver path, nearest the big condo's that was great, but the name escapes me. Extremely reasonable prices and extremely big portions in addition to excellent quality. In all six meals between the two of us we had only one side dish we would not repeat. Even the salads were fresh!

rfahriowa

Dec 25, 2017
Thanks for the advise. We actually talked about something similar. Finding a nice hotel and eating out locally is the route we usually take on Isla Mujeres. We also thought about Samana Bay, but the drawback is the beach options [lack of] close to the resorts.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
You didn't mention having visited Luis Restaurant, but perhaps that was one of the food and drink options going south west on Coson beach?

I was there 6 hours ago for a late lunch / early dinner. While the food was "OK" I certainly would not rank this in LT's top 5 restaurants which is where Trip Adviser has it. I would give the place 3 or 4 out of 10.
The beach at Coson is getting pounded by the ocean right now. Severe erosion is happening. About 30 palm trees at Luis have dropped into the ocean in the last 72 hours and they are only 2-3 feet from the dining tent starting to drop into the ocean.
I am at the Alisei three weeks now and the ocean has been pounding this place too. Since we have been here 50% of the beach has disappeared and Punta Poppy is really getting pounded with strong wind and waves. The Ocean is damn close to entering Tre Caravel.
I have been coming to the DR for 20 years and this is by far the worst weather I have seen here.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yes, both places southwest of Viva V on Coson were great [Luis twice and Los Rios de Valerio once]. We also ate on Bonita at a place that was at the far end of sidewalk paver path, nearest the big condo's that was great, but the name escapes me. Extremely reasonable prices and extremely big portions in addition to excellent quality. In all six meals between the two of us we had only one side dish we would not repeat. Even the salads were fresh!

Ramonas on Playa Bonita.......simple good food and excellent service.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think part of the LT beach problem right now is the waves are coming from a different direction...
More directly at LT rather than from the PR angle.....

Cabarete is having similar problems - even water on the street, I hear

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think part of the LT beach problem right now is the waves are coming from a different direction...
More directly at LT rather than from the PR angle.....

Cabarete is having similar problems - even water on the street, I hear

Lucky your new SUV has high ground clearance, but I assume you are not seeking to try it out in sea water