POP airport closed due to waves

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Latest info is that POP runway is closed due to the extreme waves flooding and depositing stones and debris.

Flights are being cancelled or diverted.  Please check with your airline if you or have people travelling.  POP passenger service 809 586 0188

Info valid until 20:00hrs tonight

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Swells flood Puerto Plata Airport

2qu0lrd.jpg

Puerto Plata.- As of late afternoon Monday, the high Atlantic swells from a powerful low pressure system have flooded the entire perimeter of the runway at Puerto Plata’s Luperón International Airport.

Airport terminal authorities and the airlines took measures which despite the threat of more severe flooding have allowed normal operations to continue.

The National Weather Office (ONAMET) continues its severe weather alert, and issued warnings to swimmers and for small craft to remain at pott along the Atlantic coast.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...lata-airport-perimeter-but-operations-normal/

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
While we on airports, I think Santiago has the roughest runway that I've seen for commercial jet service. Landing isn't so bad, but take offs are really rough. Last time I flew out, the pilot tipped up on a single wheel until he had the speed to rotate.

Any plans to resurface it?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Atm flights are being diverted to La Romana and Samana. Dominican radio says they are being diverted to Santiago lol. Who knows where everyone is!

Matilda