Canadians hang out place in Sosua

DreamCity

Dec 27, 2017
We can observe the growing number of Canadian expats in Sosua and Cabarete area.
Probably Sosua can be called a Canadian Village soon:)
So we just wonder whether you guys have your own spot to hang out. Some place (bar, cafe, restaurant or whatever) where you get together to share the latest Canada related news, the elections, to exchange advice and recommendations about your expat life or enjoy watching hockey games after all?

In case there is no place in town, whether you will be interested in sort of Canadian community center?
Any opinion is very welcome, thank you in advance.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
CheckPoint Bar at the top of the beach entrance next to Western Union eh> 

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Coco bar, Spanky's, FinishLine. Jeez eh, Canuckians have invaded.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
But a community centre, that'll have class, comfy chairs, MooseHead and poutine!

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Britannia has a Canadian hockey game on nearly every night and is very popular with Canadians.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Coco bar, Spanky's, FinishLine. Jeez eh, Canuckians have invaded.

On another thread within this forum a moderator took issue with a poster for using that term, Canuckian. Seems to be a slur, or slight of some sort.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
On another thread within this forum a moderator took issue with a poster for using that term, Canuckian. Seems to be a slur, or slight of some sort.

Why????? No slur intended. Don't get your toque in a knot eh.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i have no problem with that term. move on.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
We can observe the growing number of Canadian expats in Sosua and Cabarete area.
So we just wonder whether you guys have your own spot to hang out. Some place (bar, cafe, restaurant or whatever) where you get together to share the latest Canada related news, the elections, to exchange advice and recommendations about your expat life or enjoy watching hockey games after all? In case there is no place in town, whether you will be interested in sort of Canadian community center?

Jolly Roger Resturant & Bar 11 Pedro Clisante, Sosua

Kelly and Patty, Canadian owners

http://www.jollyrogersosua.com/

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
No disrespect to the OP but I don’t spend time in the DR hanging with other Canadians. I have a few Canadian expat friends and I enjoy their company every now and then. Most of my time is spent exploring the country, learning the language and culture, and enjoying the sights and sounds of this increadibly diverse country. To each his own.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
So we just wonder whether you guys have your own spot to hang out. Some place (bar, cafe, restaurant or whatever) where you get together to share the latest Canada related news, the elections, to exchange advice and recommendations about your expat life or enjoy watching hockey games after all?

In case there is no place in town, whether you will be interested in sort of Canadian community center?

Just wondering who is we... The sales team from the DreamCity project? :confused::):):)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
off topic post deleted by the mod

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
read the thread title before posting, kids. i was kind but enough is enough.

DreamCity

Dec 27, 2017
Thank you everyone for the contribution.

The Checkpoint Bar was a nice discovery, have never paid much attention to this small place and now will definitely visit it. Looking forward to connecting with all Canadians. Thanks again.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
This is a headscratcher for me. Why come to a foreign country only to hang out with your fellow countrymen??
Kind of reminds me of my military time in GE, where a lot of the barracks rats would spend their entire tour eating nothing but burger king and drinking budweiser, Instead of hanging at a local gasthaus enjoying a tasty jaejerschnitzel, and piesporter.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is a headscratcher for me. Why come to a foreign country only to hang out with your fellow countrymen??
Kind of reminds me of my military time in GE, where a lot of the barracks rats would spend their entire tour eating nothing but burger king and drinking budweiser, Instead of hanging at a local gasthaus enjoying a tasty jaejerschnitzel, and piesporter.

exactly. staying home should be cheaper...