Adoptar niños en la Rep.Dom es un camino largo y tedioso

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
"Differences between Dominicans and foreigners

Creole couples who want to adopt a child by unknown affiliation take more time to find a child. Why? Sarah Lahoz says that Dominicans usually demand less than a year to be "clear." "The national list is longer because the Dominican wants a healthy child, as small as possible. They look at you and tell you ´ you see as I do, Indiecito clear. That looks like me--the adoptable couple--because I don't want people on the street to look at him strangely ´, "recalls the adoption of Conani's decision-makers. In contrast, most cases of abandonment are Haitians and foreigners who want to adopt do not care about the child's age, or the skin color. "

English translation above, this is not a Spanish Board

"Diferencias entre dominicanos y extranjeros

Las parejas criollas que quieren adoptar un niño por filiación desconocida tardan más tiempo en dar con un hijo. ¿Por qué? Sarah Lahoz dice que los dominicanos exigen, por lo regular, menores de un año, que sean “claros”. “La lista nacional es más larga porque el dominicano quiere un niño saludable, lo más pequeño posible. Te miran y te dice ´tú ves así como yo, indiecito claro. Que se parezca a mí –a la pareja adoptable- porque no quiero que la gente en la calle lo mire extraño´”, reflexiona la encargada de adopciones de Conani. En cambio, la mayoría de casos de abandonos son de haitianas y a los extranjeros que quieren adoptar no les importa la edad del niño, ni el color de piel."

What isn't long and tedious in the DR?

http://www.cocnoticias.com/2016/02/16/318995/

Last edited by a moderator:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I met two different couples one from USA the other Canadian who had a wheel chair bound person in the family, one was the wife and the Canadian couple had a 15 year old boy wheelchair bound and both of these couples came to the DR with the idea of getting an older child more less as a slave, someone to push the wheel chair in public and care for their cripple in general. They spoke openly of this, but when they were denied their adoption goal theywere aghast that anyone would think it was for such a purpose!
Der Fish

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I've heard that often locals want to adopt kids that look like them, but I also know a rich Dominican couple who adopted a little Haitian girl and they treat her like a princess. She goes to a private school, studies english and music, and they take her on vacations both locally and abroad. Most importantly, they shower her with affection and are very happy cause they tried to have kids for a long time but couldn't. They don't really care about her color or that she's Haitian.

A friend of mine, who is also Dominican, tried to adopt a little boy, but gave up since the process was so difficult. She says they make things way too hard.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One of the most well known Dominican adopter was the late Oscar de la Renta.

Here he is with his adopted Dominican son.

moises-renta.jpg

The young man (Moisés) was rescued from a garbage dump. Once Oscar died, he inherited a huge fortune.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Back in the 1960's and earlier, after giving the parents a few dollars, you would just go down to the fiscal and declare (hand written of course) that the child was born to you and your husband. Put in papers to get a visa, done. I know, my irth certificate says that my stepdad was my biological father back in 1966 and I was already 8 years old.