DR will require visas for visitors who overstay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One more time please if you don't mind Sr. Guzman, your interpretation of the extrajudicial nature of the overstay fees/fines that overstaying travelers are compelled to pay when they eventually do leave the Dominican Republic.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The French Embassy has warned French visitors to the Dominican Republic that DR immigration authorities will require a visa from visitors who could normally enter the country with a tourist card but have overstayed the 30-day limit in their previous visit.

https://do.ambafrance.org/Situation-migratoire-des-ressortissants-francais-en-Republique-dominicaine

Do you or anyone in your office know of any confirmed denial of entry for overstaying a tourist Visa?

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Finally a Dominican expert with some influence with the political authorities that run this country. Please advise the big bosses in SD that their 30 day rule is terrible for high end Dominican businesses and further penalizing measures will just make things worse. Too many examples to provide.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Do you or anyone in your office know of any confirmed denial of entry for overstaying a tourist Visa?

Think that this and the other thread are referencing tourist cards not tourist visa's for the overstays. what I read this to say is that if you have previously been overstaying your tourist card you will now be required to apply for a tourist visa. different animal

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Attention, since December 2017, the Dominican authorities to strictly apply the regulation of migration. The Dominican Republic has decided to develop a migration policy. In this framework and since the month of December 2017, the Dominican authorities apply with rigor the 2004 Act on the residence of aliens. A- persons not having respected the rules regarding visas during a previous stay since this date, the Directorate General of Migration imposes a visa requirement to foreign persons who have during a previous visit exceeded the time of stay allowed. This visa requirement is imposed on these people regardless of the duration of their new visit. The French, in an irregular situation vis-a-vis the Dominican law, can be present in one of the offices of the immigration (Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, Santiago and Punta Cana) to expose their situation. They will be advised on the type of visa that they must seek from the consulate of the Dominican Republic in their countries of origin

Translated

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Yes, we have had at least three clients report to our immigration counsel that they have been refused entry for having overstayed before. Apparently, the Dominican government has finally decided to apply the immigration statute as written... at least in some cases since we do not know if it's been applied in all instances and airports. As noted before, the overstay fees/fines has no legal basis.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Wondering if it applies to people who paid the fine which was then pocketed by the authorities. I assume there would be no record in the system.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Assuming that is the case, it sure will look a little fishy that you never left the DR and you are now trying to re-enter.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Now I am not doubting the credibility of anyone.

Just to say, when I travel, I dont consulte the embassy of my country in the dr. ( replace dr with wherever you are going )
I contact the ministère des affaires étrangères or the foreign office. I posted a link in the other thread.
I would contacted the embassy if I had a problem while in the dr.......

So, to be clear, the french embassy to the dr does post that warning.
But the french ministère des affaires étrangères posts diffrent stuff ( up to 3 months without visa ).

All this is as clear as mud...... great PR for the dr :/ :/

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Wondering if it applies to people who paid the fine which was then pocketed by the authorities. I assume there would be no record in the system.

I have myself experienced numerous overstays, my son, as I wrote in a recent thread just left for a few days after a 2 year overstay, I have friends that have overstayed and I have read what other members here at DR1 have written regarding repeated overstays, all with zero issues at the airport.
My son and I are starting the process to get a business visa but the motivation for this had to do with the benefits of the visa no out of fear of being denied re- entry. I just left 2 days ago and will be in South American and then North America before I again return. If I have ANY problems I'll report them honestly even though I am not buying that it is yet a problem.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm convinced DGM just makes this stuff up as they go along. It's all "trial and error". Who knows what's in effect at any given moment(?).

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Your experience, his experience, her experience, etc..... it is all the same. The law has always been there. Are they picking and choosing, yes probably. It is a problem, just depends on what day, and which immigration officer you get. To think that the DR will never impose the laws is ignorance however the way they go about it is another story.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I have myself experienced numerous overstays, my son, as I wrote in a recent thread just left for a few days after a 2 year overstay, I have friends that have overstayed and I have read what other members here at DR1 have written regarding repeated overstays, all with zero issues at the airport.
My son and I are starting the process to get a business visa but the motivation for this had to do with the benefits of the visa no out of fear of being denied re- entry. I just left 2 days ago and will be in South American and then North America before I again return. If I have ANY problems I'll report them honestly even though I am not buying that it is yet a problem.

Yes,
You will find out when you try to re-enter.
At POP finger print scanners are now in use.

rromero26

Mar 9, 2018

seems like the original poster needs the business.... lol.. way to sell fear

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yes, we have had at least three clients report to our immigration counsel that they have been refused entry for having overstayed before. Apparently, the Dominican government has finally decided to apply the immigration statute as written... at least in some cases since we do not know if it's been applied in all instances and airports. As noted before, the overstay fees/fines has no legal basis.

You state these clients have been refused entry. Can you advise if this was an indefinite entry denial, or for a defined period of time and what are the possible sanctions under the law?

To understand how the immigration department is now beginning to administer the law as written will no doubt be of much concern and interest to some of the property (and business owners) that still do not have an immigration status and arrive as tourists with tourist card only.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
How is this selling fear??? There is no question that these laws have always been on the books. The DR "offered" a work around with the paying of the overstay fee upon departure but laws have always been there. The OP is very well respected in his field, I seriously doubt he needs to "get business" with the posting. Just because there has been work around with the overstay fee doesn't mean things can not change. I do no doubt these things can and will happen, it is just a matter of time. Hopefully with a solution to the snowbird issue.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
seems like the original poster needs the business.... lol.. way to sell fear

The OP is retired.... he won't accept clients

The opinion is given in the Legal Forum... which he heads.

You are quite a distance off-base with that comment...

Fear is not a factor......no scare tactics....
A recitation of current events is what we have here

Status
Not open for further replies.