Setting up Dive Shop

Dman

Apr 20, 2002
Looking for information on setting up a dive shop and whale watching any information and suggested locations and any other tourist ideas would be great

thanks
Duane

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tough road ahead. There are already at least as many dive shops as the market will support in the north coast tourist areas.

Whalewatching is in Samana Bay, a marine sanctuary. Diving with the whales is prohibited. I have heard of a company getting permission to dive on Silver Bank, but that is a very expensive trip requiring facilities on the boat for overnighting, etc.

I would strongly recommend that you spend time in the Dominican Republic getting acquainted with the areas and the dive programs already here before you finalize your plans or make an investment.

Dman

Apr 20, 2002
diving shop in south or other areas

Everthing i have read says that the diving isnt developed to the full in the dr yet, any ideas of a good area ? what about the south

Thanks
Duane

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Divers don't come to the Dominican Republic to dive like windsurfers flock to Cabarete. It is not like the Turks and Caicos and other areas known for their diving opportunities.

When I look at the number of dive shops in Sosua, can't help but believe that here, at least, it is very well developed.

Know nothing about diving on the south coast.

Might also mention that tourism on north coast is currently in the doldrums. All existing tourism related businesses are hurting and many hotels have closed.

This board is not a substitute for coming to the Dominican Republic and checking out the areas for yourself. Nobody is better able than you to decide whether it is worth your making the investment.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Lots of dive shops on South Coast.....

All hurting bad because of the decline in tourism.
Hubby is a divemaster and helps out a friend with his dive shop during the winter when we are here.
Avaraged 2 divers a week this year......good thing hubby doesn't work for pay and our friend also has another source of income!!
He's looking for a partner to inject some cash into the business or to buy out his other partner who returned to Germany last May because of the lack of income........
Want a number to call??

Dman

Apr 20, 2002
PARASAILING

hello again, another question is anyone doing parasailing there, probly a dumb question:}

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Parasailing

Dman, is there parasailing? Let's put it this way, there are plenty of outfits doing this. In some coastal resort areas, you do not have to ask directions as how to get to the beach, just proceed in the direction of the parasails dotting the horizon. Best bet is to follow the advice of Ken and go to the island to do your own research. Regards, PJT