Phone Books, Damned Phone Books and Codetel Phone Books

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As some of you know, I have offered to host a little tour of my Santiago for some good friends of Trina's ,...

So, okey, I got the names and where they were staying. Know the place. But, never having to call there, I just figuered that the phone book would be a piece of cake.

I had forgotten where I live!!!

The phone book dedicated to Tourism: Gu?a Tur?stica 2001-2002 (Tourist Guide - Reisef?eher) had one (1) number for the hotel..."We're sorry that number is not in service"

The phone book for the North of the DR has 11 numbers for the hotel, and all of them are "We're sorry....s" Well, there were two fax lines...

Four calls to 1411 (Information) come up with....Yes! "We're sorry...s" !!!

I call the hotel run by the same chain in Baya?be: Want to guess??

I call the phone in Bavaro: Bingo! "Se?or, el tel?fono de Puerto Plata es...."

I call back 1411 to tell them that I found a number that works, and I get an operator that says: "Oh yes, I have 320 1000. " I asked why the hell didn't any of the other four operators have it (And I did ask!) "Oh I don't know sir."

So if you want to call the Ibero Star Dorado in Puerto Plata, don't use the phone book, nor the Tourist Guide nor Information. Call me, or just jot it down: 809 320 1000!!

jeeeeez! Sheeeesh!

HB

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
HB...

I flew into SD to spend New Year's Eve with some friends, and on the 1st. I was to take a bus to POP, but I wanted to change my res. for the 2nd and didn't have the hotel's number...

After making at least 10 phone calls to 1411, looking in various phone books, etc.

I had to call my Dad here in Miami and have him look it up on the Internet...

In the meantime, my daughter called ANOTHER hotel in POP and asked to see if they knew the # for OUR hotel, and sure enough...they had it right away!!!

But...I still love DR!

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Get out the Time-Life hands-free phone headset

HB, Don't tell us to call you because the next thing you know you will be the new operator when the gringos are in Santiago!!