What is the Dominican psyche?

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
I know this may sound a little funny and if it was
not for the fact that I read it in the paper I most likely would not have thought a second time about.

Reading about the author/sociologist Teofilo Barrerio?(sorry I'm sure that I bothched the spelling of the last name no disrepect intended).
At any rate this should really help me to get
a better habndle on the Dominican mindset.

QUESTIONS??????

1.Why would a Dominican woman let's say 18 years
old want to go out with a man 60 or 70? The answer
seems obvious but is it really?

2.How does the psyche of a Dominican woman
differ from those of lets say an American women.
and vice versa for you women that want to weigh in
on the Dominican man versus the North American man.

If I get the sort of participation that I expect
this should be very helpful to me.

Also did Tefilo B publish any books on this topic
and if so what are the titles?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Answers......

To number 1 - Yes, sometimes you don't have to look further than the obvious.
To number 2. Most Dominican women have to struggle every day just to survive......in this country survival of the fittest is just that!
Dominican males tend to be rather like American/Canadian males (there Eric & Escott-don't want to seem like I'm bashing anyone again).....self-centered,spoiled, and irresponsible. Only moreso!

To the last question regarding books....I really don't know. Maybe someone else can tell you.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Issac...

You really need to get yourself down here. It would answer most of your questions and few you haven't asked yet.

In regards to your questions 1 and 2, it all depends on what scale of the socio-economic ladder the girl is on.

Mar 21, 2002
Hey Rob

Tell us a little about yourself. What brings a young guy like yourself,intellectual , modern guy to this backwards down-n-out country of SD?
I'm real curious to know. Myself I keep comin back cuz of my family. To be honest if I wasn't dominican I could think of a million better places. My country SD is like Sanford & Son's junkyard. So what gives dude?

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
O&C from out of millions there is just one for me.

Why the DR? Why not?

To be more specific I must say in all honesty my
first encounter with anything Dominican was during the time when I lived in the US Virgin Islands I
saw this Dominican woman that took my breath away.

Now after having visited the DR I like the style
and pace of things in the DR I am encouraged that for people that have so little they make the most
of it and with a smile of course a few Presidentes
help too.

I have always looked for things different from what I am used to, I have found that in the DR.

Now I have only to find that right woman for me
the DR is the perfect home away from home for
me. The DR is not perfect but it is perfect for me.

Mar 21, 2002
Isaac,its funny you mention it cuz

methinks that foreigners can appreciate SD more than natives. Since you are coming from a land where human interaction is quite limited and at times quite clinical, you feel lik Alice in Wonderland everytime you come to SD.

I feel you my man. But for most Dominicans SD is an island prison much like Alcatraz. People have no choice but to make the best of a truly horrendous situation. If US where to allow people to leave DR it would be converted into one of those towns from a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western- barren,desolate and empty.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Why and Island Prison?

I have heard this before, but explain why? The US is not easy either.

There is no country that is perfect, you have to work hard to get what you want.

Mar 21, 2002
Yeah everyone wants to come here not

the other way around. If you're born in the DR you can never leave. Cursed to stay on an island, never being able to see what the outside world looks like. Destined to live a life fit only for goats,pigs and chickens.

Unless of course you are the small minority like Golo,2DR,you,me

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Sorry to burst your balloon O&C....

but we have friends that can leave the DR anytime they want. No they're not rich but they do have family in the US that send them a ticket anytime they wish to visit(if they don't have enough money to buy one themselves). They have no wish to live permanently in the US or Canada although they have spent time in both countries.
We know a lot of folk also who live in US or Canada for work purposes who can't wait until they have enough money saved to buy a small piece of land, build a house and come home. They're not worried about living like a king.....just about having the basic necessities like a basic roof,decent plumbing and working in the DR for their food,power etc.
We know others who left the island to make a small stake and have returned to start a small business, buy a house and are now providing employment for other Dominicans.
What makes you so negative regarding YOUR country?
Were you so poor here that you were starving to death?? If that is the case you have no one to blame but yourself. I've yet to see a starving Dominican (too many coconuts,guinea and platano trees!).

Dominican Papi

I love Onions&Carrots!
Mar 27, 2002
hey cebollas con zanahorias

no seas ridiculo man. why are you putting my country down like that? if you don't like it , you can stay where ever you are, and don't go back to DR, ever. i don't even think you are Dominican by the way you express yourself, and because of the ridiculous nick name that you use "onions & carrots".it is because of traitors like yourself that the country has not progressed like it could have been. traitors that worship foreign empires, and dont have any pride or gratefulness of the home land, so instead of complaining so much, you should try to do something to improve the things you don't like about the country. do something about it, and stop expecting the DR to be perfect. otherwise , just forget about it and don't comeback. if you said something like that in DR while i'm in a position of power, i would kick you out of the country and send you to haiti where you belong, so you can learn to respect my nation, and get a real taste of alcatraz. the real Dominican people love their country, and they would never trade it for the US or any other country that they migrate to. they go abroad looking for the jobs and opportunities that they can't find in their home country, or because they are not smart enough to make it in DR, but you don't know how much they wish to get back to "alcatraz". out of all the US inmigrants, Dominicans are the ones that travel the most to their home country and stay connected, and if they had the opportunity to live the life of their dreams, you can bet they would choose to do so in "alcatraz." antes de tu venir a hablar baba aqui, cambiate ese estupido nombre de "cebollas con zanahorias", y si no tienes nada bueno que decir, entonces no digas nada. esta es una pagina de turistas, y tu le estas dando una mala imagen al pais con tus comentarios en derrogatorios.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
It's true many people want to leave the island but there's just as many who want to return and as MommC said, buy land, build a house and retire there. I could never figure out why my parents were so intent on moving back to DR after they had build a life here but its simple....love of the land & family. Although my parents have made much of their life here and are now US Citizens, they really don't feel like this is their home. I think that although many Dominicans embrace this country & Canada, they are only here to make a better living for themselves and family and will return given the opportunity to.

Interesting fact: Every Dominican that I know that has passed away in the states has always gotten sent back to DR for burial.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Really

My Dominican wife's father died two weeks ago and asked to be buried in New Jersey. He was a US citizen.

I think that once Dominicans get a taste of the US Canada, it is probably hard for them to go back after lets say 10-15 years of being here. Too much would have changed, maybe I am wrong?

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
fred

for every Dominican that I know that has gotten sent back for burial there's probably one that will request to be buried here. My parents have been here for 20 years and I know they would not want to be buried there....we still have a lot of family in DR and that probably has a lot to do with it.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
He speaks for himself

Onions and Carrots speaks for himself. naturally, he left DR because he is in need of an emergency cash injection. Only the extremely dispossessed and the lazy are leaving and frankly, it would do the majority of us a favor if they all left too. We need to bleed a little.

I am not against boat people leaving. Let them go. Most are not really in need of this. They just want to become rich overnight without working. If you look at our stowaways, most are very strong and healthy men with muscles and energy. They just see others showing off gold chains and fancy clothes they bring from the U.S. and Europe, which they obtained selling drugs and prostituting themselves, and they want to do the same thing.

If they make for good meat for sharks, I go for that too. Sharks deserve to eat and return the favor. If I seek to go for a swim in the ocean, go boating where sharks are, or fish sharks, then the fair thing is for me to be fair game for the sharks. I rather have more sharks than more poor people. Sharks are better for nature and ecology.

Only 1,200,000 Dominicans are in foreign lands. So what? If we freely allowed foreigners to come here and do whatever they want we would have more than 1,200,000 foreigners here too. But our jails are tough. And most people who leave DR are in search of easy money anyway, either prostitution, drugs, and other activities outside of the laws. Just look at the 30,000 or so DR women caught up in Argentina. Most of them are in prostitution. Now they are wishing to come back because Argentinian men cannot even afford masturbation.

TW

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
People have no choice but to make the best of a truly horrendous situation.
Truly horrendous? Most people I know (and they're by no means rich) do not live like "goats, pigs, and chickens". The majority live a simple life, by American standards, but hardly like animals! Most families have *at least* one member who has travelled to other places. If my husband's family were to be used as an example: in a family of 9 brother & sisters, 2 have done really well ($$$), 2 no longer live in the DR, 3 have not done as well (but don't live like animals either) and 2 are dead.

As for the DR being a prison, I think if it were easier for the average person to obtain a visa to travel, less people would leave permanently. The whole "grass is greener" fantasy would be dismantled and they might be able to focus more on the steps needed for change, rather than steps to "escape".

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
O&C
I have never meet a domincan (in US ) who has ever felt embarrased about their country like you are. From all of my fiances friends the have nothing but good to say. No it is not a very rich country with money, but it is very rich in other more important ways. All dominicans I know dream of going to their country.

Mar 21, 2002
Hey Dominican Papi

Your name and the way you express yourself shows the type of person you are. You sound like a low class DR thug. You have no schooling,no class and no education.You are the typical stupid Dominicano. My family is more Dominican than you. You're just a half-bred mulatto tigre who probably stole the computer you are using right now.

You don't own DR or even a casa de lata en Los Guandules.Don't dream about being Pres. of DR. You won't even win la alcadia in my little town of Mao. Just go back to La Victoria where people like you belong. Better yet join some small comite de vecinos to see if ya'll gonna get your light fixtures from the CDE.

Poique eso es pa' lo que sirves.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
iamwithstupid.gif

Mar 21, 2002
To the rest of you and Golo el cretino

Read my post clearly, please. Most poor Dominicans want to leave A.S.A.P. They want a better life. They are sick and tired of their miserable life. Their going nowhere existence drains them daily.

Or is it that all of you want to keep them in their rustic settings for your own amusement. All you ex-pats really enjoy the fact that these poor people look so cute in those depressing surroundings.What is it with you? Do you think that in the soon to be year 2003 that humans want to live like cattle?

MommC, for every wonderful case story that you show me of how all your friends want to stay in the DR I'll give you 1000 that are desperate to leave.

Para todos los cretinos on DR1 my last name is Madera. Go do your own homework and find out who we are in the DR. Dominican Papi or by any other thug name you go by,si tu conoces la familia Madera del Cibao your sorry insignificant person would know that WE OWN EL CIBAO-estupido.