Just returned from DR - Observations

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I've returned to cold, rainy Illinois after 11 days in the DR. It had been more than 20 years since my last visit, so this trip was long overdue. I rented a car and logged more than 1,200 Km driving, plus several hundred more Km as a passenger in a friend's SUV.

We spent 3 nights in Boca Chica, 6 nights in San Francisco de Macoris and 1 night in San Juan de la Maguana. Had side trips to the beach at La Entrada and to various rural locations.

The Good: Major highways such as the Autopista Duarte show vast improvement. Much better public transportation system. No mosquitos! Easy money exchange, etc. More English speaking Dominicans (though I used only Spanish). Better phone system. Dominicans are still friendly and helpful as ever.

The Bad: Water no longer drinkable and water supply unreliable. Electrical outages were frequent. Road signage is woeful. Dominican drivers have gotten even worse than before and the "motores" are more numerous. Political posters have ruined the landscape. Still have open gutters and more stray dogs than before.

But the good vastly outweighed the bad. This trip was a homecoming of sorts and was extremely satisfying. We had a blast! Only regret is that trip was too short to allow for visits to old hangouts in Santiago, La Vega, Moca, and Cotui. I was also unable to connect with several old friends. Maybe next time.

I shot more than 300 photos with my digital camera and plan to post a few in the media gallery.

Should anyone have questions, just ask and I'll respond as best I can.

Swede

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just to say that I am sure you were quite lost in SFM. That place has really changed over the past 10-15 years!!...

Glad you found more good than bad..

HB

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Where are you from in Illinois? there are several of us on the board. I was born in Kankakee but raised in Hardin County in the south and also a couple years in Hillsboro. Chriss Colon is from Streator, up north and TW, aka GOLO spent several years in Chicago (Cabrini Green :) ).

Sarah

Jan 1, 2002
communities.msn.com
Nice post. I too am glad to see that the good outweighed the bad! Some, not me of course, would say that you must have been wearing rose colored glasses! ;) Hope you'll get the chance to return before the next 20 years fly by!

Sarah

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
HB: You are right! Lots of changes in SFM. I was able to find the Hotel Macoris (used to eat lunch there often); the head waiter remembered me and we reminisced over a couple of Presidentes.

El Jefe: I work in Champaign and live in a small farm town nearby.

Sarah: No rose colored glasses here, though my frame of reference may be different than yours. I lived in the DR from 1964 through 1968, so I was there "cuando la revoluci?n" and witnessed some truly ugly times. I've made several return trips since but none in the past 20 years.

My trip was certainly not the typical tourist vacation, as we pretty much avoided those sites. We hung out exclusively with Spanish-speaking Dominicans. Visited friends in places such as Las Charcas de Maria Nova (no electrity or running water) and Pedro Corto (I still chuckle at the name).

Sarah

Jan 1, 2002
communities.msn.com
m65swede,

No, what I was trying to say is that for ME the good ALWAYS outweighs the bad in the DR. By the way, what bad? ;) And so I've been accused of wearing rose colored glasses. Will love to see your pix. You'll have to ck out the photos on my site. I just got back from leading a trip of 27 to an area north of Paraiso that has no running water or electricity. But of course, we all had a wonderful time. Read my post from yesterday, if you've not yet had the chance. I really shouldn't have responded to the "insulated mug" thread, as in 20 trips, I've spent virtually NO time at all-inclusives. Maybe one or two nights, here and there. Guess I just couldn't help myself in describing what an insulated mug is, and how I'd feel toting one around a resort!

Sarah

DRstudy

Apr 23, 2002
Hey, could you help me out?

I need some info on the Dominican Republic. I have to do a report on the country for my spanish class, and i am having some trouble finding all of the info i need to make a good report. I need to know what is the best time of the year to visit DR, what i would need to take with me if i were to visit the country, what are the safety concerns, health concerns, and how much a roundtrip plane ticket would cost to DR from Arizona. Please help me out if you can, if you of a great site that would possible have most of this info that i need please let me know of that site. Thank you.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
DRStudy

At the top of the pages you will find the words, travel, living, business, and legal. Click on these and it will take you to each category and you will find a lot of what you are looking for. For current ticket prices go to Travelocity or expedia. These will give you a general idea of costs.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Re: Hey, could you help me out?

DRstudy said:
I need some info on the Dominican Republic. I have to do a report on the country for my spanish class, and i am having some trouble finding all of the info i need to make a good report. I need to know what is the best time of the year to visit DR, what i would need to take with me if i were to visit the country, what are the safety concerns, health concerns, and how much a roundtrip plane ticket would cost to DR from Arizona. Please help me out if you can, if you of a great site that would possible have most of this info that i need please let me know of that site. Thank you.

Try the CIA World Factbook
www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

DRstudy

Apr 23, 2002
Thanks

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I really appreciate it, thank you again.