Insulated Mugs?

happyholidays

Apr 16, 2002
Following up from " A little help?":

I have read on some web pages to take insulated mugs to all inclusive resorts.

What's that mean exactly? Like a pint glass that you keep in the freezer?

Coming from England a mug is something that you put your tea in!

So what it means is that:

Take your own drinking receptacle if you want fewer trips to the bar and a greater quantity than those minature platic cups they serve your beer in?

Do the hotels and bar staff mind? Is this perfectly normal and allowed? because it sounds like a great idea!
13 days and counting!!!
Kind Regards,
Nicky

Sarah

Jan 1, 2002
communities.msn.com
An insulated mug is a very thick/insulated, plastic cup with a handle and a tight fitting lid with a small opening in it for taking a drink out of. In the USA they're sold EVERYWHERE - gas stations, WalMart/KMart, etc. We carry our morning coffee in them to work in the car so we don't spill it everywhere. Some employers require them to be used on our desks at work, rather than open coffee mugs, so we don't spill coffee in our keyboards. Am I making us sound sloppy? Perhaps. Would I walk around an all-inclusive resort with one, filling it up with beer, etc? I guess, if I wanted to look like a lush. But to each his/her own! Is it allowed? Probably. Regardless, enjoy your trip!!

Sarah

jhermes

Mar 22, 2002
thermal mugs

We brought thermal mugs when we were there in March. We were SO happy we had them. The ones we got were huge...I think 32 ounces or something. The bartenders were happy to fill them with whatever we wanted...never a complaint. We decorated our mugs with stickers. They said things like "We will not live in Fear"..."God Bless America"...etc. In fact, the day we left I ran into someone at the front desk who didn't think to bring one, so I gave her mine! My husband gave his to one of the men who were working on the gardens all day in the hot sun...he was very appreciative. So yes, bring a mug, you'll be happy you did! Oh, no, they are not the kind that go into the freezer...they are just the big mugs you can buy at gas stations and such. At least that's where we can get them here in the States.

jhermes

Mar 22, 2002
lush

I am not a big drinker...so I didn't feel like a lush carrying my mug. In fact, I would put coffee in it in the morning...then I might have a virgin pina colada and then possibly something with liquor in it a little later on. It had nothing to do with how much I could drink...but more importantly, the lid kept the sand from blowing in my drink on the beach...and I actually still had some beverage left in it by the time I got back to my chair. Also, if I had a drink that was a slushy drink, it wasn't totally melted by the time I got back to my chair. The cups they served were tiny cups...I would see some people hobbling across the beach trying to carry three at a time. So yes, I was glad I had my mug. And I didn't feel like or didn't think I looked like a lush.

Sarah

Jan 1, 2002
communities.msn.com
Points well taken ... hadn't thought about the sand, melting drinks, coffee in the mornings, etc! Was referring to happyholidays comment: "Take your own drinking receptacle if you want fewer trips to the bar and a greater quantity than those minature platic cups they serve your beer in?" Was letting you know what I would feel like ... thinking only in terms of beer/liquor.

Cheers!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I take mine to the golf course........

It gets so warm so quickly that an insulated mug (or glass which is what I have-no handle on the side) keeps your cold beverages cold!
If I think of it I fill mine the night before half full of iced teaand pop it in the freezer then top it up before I leave for the course. It keeps the tea nice and refreshing through 18 holes......so go for it!!
drink.gif

happyholidays

Apr 16, 2002
Mugs Jugs and Hangovers...

Thanks for all your comments, looks like the mugs will get a seat on the plane after all.

Funny that all I was thinking about when I posted was booze! (I just love those slushy Pina Colada's with a glug of gold rum in the top....)

I might have trouble getting something with a lid on, as i'm hard pressed of where to buy that type of thing here in the UK....Milletts Camping or Halfords maybe? I'll have to hunt some down.

My original concern was that it might be considered rude or greedy to hand over a giant mug and say " fill her up, por favour".
But it looks ok," If everybody else is doing it, why cant we?"

In Jamaica it only seemed to be the Americans doing it, whereas the Brits kept getting up to the bar time and time again.

Utimately we made good friends with the lady behind the bar who was more than happy to see us paraletic drunk by 4pm on her cocktail concoctions - Must have seemed like a good day at the office?

Your good health!
Nicky

happyholidays

Apr 16, 2002
Found!

Quick Update on my mugs...

I found them in ADSA of all places - 12oz insulated mugs ( Approx 350ml) for ?1.24 each. BARGAIN!

So now I can strut my stuff with a cold one till the cows come home, WooHoo!

I am chuffed to bits that my local supermarket had them all along.

Regards,

Nicky
10 days and counting....