First Trip to Las Terrenas - is this a good itinerary?

kingbanana

Mar 12, 2018
We have rented a house in an area called Balcones del Atlantico, which is about 15 minutes or so from Las Terrenas. It is very close to the restaurant Porto. We are traveling with our kids, aged 15, 13 and 11, and have rented a car.

Much of the time we plan to spend around the house we've rented and the nearby beach. However, we plan on also doing the following:

1) Whale watching tour with Kim Baddell
2) Boat excursion for a full day or close to, so we can see Cayo Levantado, and Los Haitises, and maybe some good snorkel spots and nice beaches. We prefer a private boat operator for this and wondering if there are any recommendations?
3) Cascada Limon. I am planning on just driving here on my own and trekking to the falls. Does anyone have any experience with that? Should you get a guide?
4) Travel to Playa Rincon for the day, explore Las Galeras, and then eat at El Monte Azul for dinner. Is that worthwhile? I keep reading about the drive so was planning on leaving my car in Las Galeras and taking a taxi to the restaurant. But I don't want to go through the trouble if its not worth it.
5) Explore other close beaches like Playa Bonita and Coson.

Are there any activities you think we absolutely MUST do? Or are any of the ones I've listed not really worth it? Thank you very much for your time and guidance!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Take a horse to El Limon.

Los Haitises takes a whole day.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
We have rented a house in an area called Balcones del Atlantico, which is about 15 minutes or so from Las Terrenas. It is very close to the restaurant Porto. We are traveling with our kids, aged 15, 13 and 11, and have rented a car.

Much of the time we plan to spend around the house we've rented and the nearby beach. However, we plan on also doing the following:

2) Boat excursion for a full day or close to, so we can see Cayo Levantado, and Los Haitises, and maybe some good snorkel spots and nice beaches. We prefer a private boat operator for this and wondering if there are any recommendations?
3) Cascada Limon. I am planning on just driving here on my own and trekking to the falls. Does anyone have any experience with that? Should you get a guide?
4) Travel to Playa Rincon for the day, explore Las Galeras, and then eat at El Monte Azul for dinner. Is that worthwhile? I keep reading about the drive so was planning on leaving my car in Las Galeras and taking a taxi to the restaurant. But I don't want to go through the trouble if its not worth it.

Are there any activities you think we absolutely MUST do? Or are any of the ones I've listed not really worth it? Thank you very much for your time and guidance!

I think you've got it covered. Call me weird, I like Sanchez, old victorian houses in a sleepy town.

elbronco718

Mar 11, 2018
I was in LT last february. We drove up to the entrance to the waterfall ourselves on ATV's then from there paid $10 i believe it was which provided us with a horse and a guide (usually a small child, who we also tipped and provided with food). Its a long treck and about 2 of our horses didnt make it thru the entire treck.

Once the horse drops you off, thats when the real hiking begins, I'ma big guy so it was tough for me but worth it at the end.

All in all Las Terrenas seems more fun when youre on an ATV, we barely used our vehicle while in LT

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
To waterfalls on your own, without guide, horse, nothing tough, no problem with kids:
"I took yesterday a guagua from Samana-City to parada Sendero La Javilla, 70 peso, you can tell the driver to stop there at the sign for the parada. Then a nice 45 min walk in shadow, hardly ups and downs, didn't even get my shoes dirty. All the time straight forward, can't miss the way. After 10 min there is a branch to the right, don't take that. In another 5 min a branch to the left over a river, don't take that. Above the waterfall the stairs down are on the right side of the building. For the way back I took the normal way. Was also a nice downhill walk cause hadn't been raining for a week, but after rain I would't recommend that. You have to cross a small river twice. Then with a guagua back to Samana". If you come from LT with you car, the parada is a few minutes after Limon. The entrance to the track is on the left side. If you walk back the downhill-track you have to take a guagua back to your car.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Hi:

When are you actually planning on being in LT. Usually by the March 15th the whales are gone. I would call Kim Beddal or check with tour guides when you get to LT and see if her boat is still going out to see the whales. One thing that your kids probably would enjoy is zip lining on the way to Playa El Valle' outside of Samana City. Go to Samanazipline.com and you should be able to bring up their website. From LT drive through Limon and continue towards Samana City. Continue through Samana past the Malecon (front of the bay) and head up the hill out of town. When you get to the top of the hill you will see a small sign for Playa El Valle'. Take a left onto this road. The first portion is good but then the road gets rough. You need to have an SUV. About half way to Playa El Valle' you will see the entrance for the zip line tour. Wear your bathing suits. After the zipline they have a place with small waterfalls where you can swim and cool off. From there I would continue onto Playa El Valle'. It's about 20 more minutes up the road. This is a beautiful wide beach surrounded by mountains. Feels more like the South Pacific than the Caribbean. If you want lunch there are some restaurants (shacks) right on the beach. This beach is very similar to Playa Rincon. The other thing I would do is go to Luis' Restaurant on Playa Coson. They are only open for lunch. This is a very informal setting right on the water. They serve grilled fish, shrimp, lobster in season or chicken with salad, rice and beans and french fries. This beach has nice size waves and is great for body surfing. You can hang out here, eat lunch, have drinks, swim or walk the beach. Their Pina Colada is great. Comes in a hollowed out Pineapple. The food is price well except for the lobster. Check the price per pound before you order this. Playa Bonita is also worth checking out. If you go to end of Playa Bonita near Hotel Atlantis and keeping walking down the beach you will see where there is a nice swimming area at the point where Playa Bonita ends and the bay continues out towards Playa Coson. Great place to sun bath or have a picnic. There is also a trail along the ocean's edge where you can walk all the way into Coson. Another thing that is fun is a tour out of LT which involves 4 wheelers. The tour takes you out of LT onto a dirt road to a small farm out in the country. You can also tie this into going to Limon Falls. Two tours in one. You end up at Limon Falls with the 4 wheelers, have lunch and ride horses up to the falls. After you take the ATV's back to LT. Worth the price. Balancones D'Atlantico is upscale and very nice. Restaurant Porto is also nice but on the expensive side. I would suggest driving into LT for lunch or dinner. Try the following restaurant, El Yuca Caliente'(Italian), Mojitos (Cuban), Tres Caravelles (Meat or seafood) Navia's (on the main road just outside of Playa Bonita on the way to Playa Coson) Also for pizza try Pizza Azul (across from Plaza El Paseo on the oceanside) Take your time driving and be careful of people, animals and other obstacles along the side of the road. If you need any other info just ask. Good luck and good travels.

rfahriowa

Dec 25, 2017
We just returned from a stay in the Las Terrenas area. We did many of the things you are talking about doing. Note the trip report I posted. If you use a tour guide, make an attempt to go to Peninsula Tours and ask for Henry. He is fantastic. I wish we would have done the zip line. Assuming the weather is decent you should have an awesome trip. I sort of wish we had stayed closer to Las Terrenas. The AI was nice, but there are many reasonably priced places to try in Las Terrenas, and resort food is too repetitive.

stretch

Aug 25, 2005
We had guests in town so a group of 7 of us hiked into Limón on March 2. There had been a lot of rain in February so the trails were super muddy, in some places up to our knees! I didn't enjoy it, but all the young ones from 15-25 loved it! So depending if there is rain before you come, you might choose to use the burros instead. It's also important what footwear you have on (some of the paradas rent rubber boots for the hike)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We had guests in town so a group of 7 of us hiked into Limón on March 2. There had been a lot of rain in February so the trails were super muddy, in some places up to our knees! I didn't enjoy it, but all the young ones from 15-25 loved it! So depending if there is rain before you come, you might choose to use the burros instead. It's also important what footwear you have on (some of the paradas rent rubber boots for the hike)

I've hiked it and gone the for legged way. Great scenery and spectacular falls. I hope you had a chance to swim in the pool at the base of the falls.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I may go to LT today...

If so - I'll do my regular routine .
Drop Steve's name freely everywhere I go --

Better tables, bigger servings, lower prices when you mention Steve....
Works wonders for me

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sounds good. In Las Galeras, visit La Playita, one of my favorite beaches. Have lunch on the beach with Isabel. Go off hours when Dominicans will be there... in order to be able to have lunch with Isabel. She is much in demand.

Since you are staying at Balcones... be sure to go to the fisher's market off the Las Terrenas cemetery before noon to buy fresh fish and seafood. And then visit one of the local supermarkets to stock up and cook some of your own meals. Fresh fish and seafood taste so good!

You may have found this already... the DR1 Guide to Samana. I wrote this many years ago, but much of it is still valid, with the exception of Taino Park that closed (in Samana City). It will help you get your bearings. http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf

Also, the forums section on Samana at http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/53-North-East-Coast

Enjoy!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sounds good. In Las Galeras, visit La Playita, one of my favorite beaches. Have lunch on the beach with Isabel. Go off hours when Dominicans will be there... in order to be able to have lunch with Isabel. She is much in demand.

Since you are staying at Balcones... be sure to go to the fisher's market off the Las Terrenas cemetery before noon to buy fresh fish and seafood. And then visit one of the local supermarkets to stock up and cook some of your own meals. Fresh fish and seafood taste so good!

You may have found this already... the DR1 Guide to Samana. I wrote this many years ago, but much of it is still valid, with the exception of Taino Park that closed (in Samana City). It will help you get your bearings. http://dr1.com/travel/samanaguide.pdf

Also, the forums section on Samana at http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/53-North-East-Coast

Enjoy!

It's a shame that Taino Park didn't make it. I went the first year it opened and loved the place. They had a number of diaramas depicting native life before and after the arrival of Columbus. Very well done. The location is what did them in. It was in the middle of nowhere and difficult to get to. A shame that so much effort and money was put into this project but the marketing end failed.