Tourist Card Extension (I Got It, but Have a Question)

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
So I just came back from Migraciones on the Malecon and captured the unicorn of the DR: the tourist card extension. Unfortunately, they messed up my entrance date on the extension document and so I will have to return in a day or so while they redo the document.

For those that need it, it's quite simple: You go to Migraciones with a letter addressed to the Director General explaining why you need an extension. Bring a photocopy of the letter along with photocopies of your passport info page and your entrance stamp (this is where the confusion occurred...my stamp page had two entrance stamps, and they accidentally used the earlier one as my entrance date). Wait 3 weeks, and they will call you when your extension is (or is not) approved so you can go and pick up the document.

The document they give you is in Spanish legalese, and it left me with one big question. Essentially, it is not clear to me if I was granted an extension of 30 days or 60 days after my initial 30-day tourist period expires. The extension ("prorroga") is based on the following component of Dominican law:

Articulo 84, Parrafo 3 of the Ley Migratoria:
"En caso de ser aprobada la prórroga, la D.G.M. sólo podrá conceder una prórroga de
permanencia por sesenta (60) días. En caso de ser rechazada la solicitud, se procederá conforme
a lo que dispone la Ley y el presente Reglamento. Se exceptúan de esta disposición, los hijos de
dominicanos nacidos en el exterior.
"

Now, I am fairly fluent in Spanish, but the above clause is entirely ambiguous to me. That is, does the prorroga itself last for 60 days or does the prorroga function such that your entire stay including it is for 60 days? This would make the difference between a 90-day stay (initial 30-day stay + 60 prorroga days) or a 60-day stay (initial 30-day stay + 30 prorroga days). It all hinges on if "permanencia" in the above refers to the permenancia of your entire stay or the permanencia of your prorroga.

I would love if others, especially legal eagles, could chime in, as this nuance makes a big difference for me. I will be renting a car during my final week in the DR. As I understand it, should I be involved in an accident while on an expired tourist card, I will automatically be at fault for driving while "illegal", yes? This is literally the entire reason why I am trying to get this extension to cover my stay.

I will post the precise wording of the extension document when I get the updated version from Migraciones (I forgot to snap a photo of it before I handed it back for revision), but its wording more or less mirrored the migration law clause I have posted above.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
You need to read Article 83 of Decree 631-11, which is the rules of application for the immigration law.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Trans/Archives/422 page 40

An extension is given for 60 days.

They did not seek all the documentation required by law in your case it appears. And it appears they are required to respond to request in 10 days.

A tourist can stay for 120 days by obtaining a Tourist Visa and extension or 90 days with a tourist card and extension. After that you exit to another country and start again.

Did they charge for the extension? If not, then obtaining a tourist visa and getting a 60 day extension will be the same as the tourist card and current overstay fee.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What a year we're having - 2018

Yes indeed -- the DR Unicorn....

hahahaha--- great news for many here....

blowing away a lot of myths

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Great, i knew was possible, if you got 60 days extention is after the 30 days you get with the tourist card, the first 30 days are not included because you already get it with the tourist card.  So you can stay for another 2 months.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
You need to read Article 83 of Decree 631-11, which is the rules of application for the immigration law.

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Trans/Archives/422 page 40

An extension is given for 60 days.

They did not seek all the documentation required by law in your case it appears. And it appears they are required to respond to request in 10 days.

A tourist can stay for 120 days by obtaining a Tourist Visa and extension or 90 days with a tourist card and extension. After that you exit to another country and start again.

Did they charge for the extension? If not, then obtaining a tourist visa and getting a 60 day extension will be the same as the tourist card and current overstay fee.

To answer your question: They did not charge for the extension. Also, I was under the general impression that you cannot apply for a tourist visa once you are already in the country - that is only done from your country of origin or (sometimes) from a third party country.

Now, I'll give a bit more background to my extension process. I went in fully prepared to ask for the "prorroga application" so that I could fill it out, then get the medical certificate and all that nonsense and bring it all in. I was told MULTIPLE TIMES by MULTIPLE agents that this is not the process for requesting tourist card extensions. I brought up the website, but there was no arguing. They said a letter to the Director-General is all you need, along with photocopies of passport info. So, regardless of what the law says, this is no longer how Migraciones is doing things (was it ever the way, really?). Others are welcome to try the process as is written "by law", but if my experience is any indication, they will get the same slip of paper with the Director-General's information as I did, along with instructions to deliver the request letter to Correspondencia (Window 13...you don't need to take a number, just go directly to it). And as for the 10 day response time? Again, there is the law, and there is reality: I was told "15 days" and, subsequently "three [working] weeks". So there was double confirmation on that.

Now, the link you just posted is for an older version of the Ley Migratoria (the 2012 version is here), but the relevant section that pertains to my question is unchanged and is what I posted in my original post in italics.

To you (and to me), it implies that an extension is valid for another 60 days. But I am telling you that the way the clause is worded is ambiguous, and this struck me IMMEDIATELY upon reading it. To give you an indication of this, I asked two employees at Migraciones if they thought it meant that my extension was for a further 60 days or if my total time in the country on the tourist card was for 60 days. Their responses? The first one thought it was ambiguous and couldn't say. The second one said it only extended the tourist card such that my total time (permanencia) in the country could only be for 60 days.

So I am collecting opinions on how people are interpreting the relevant clause that both you and I have linked to. You and I say it means maximum 90 days, including your initial 30 days and a 60-day extension. One guy at Migraciones wasn't sure. Another girl at Migraciones (who the first guy directed me to) said it meant maximum 60 days, including your initial 30 days and an extension that comprises the rest.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Also, let me post a further implication for "snowbirds" and the like: If you do not live in Santo Domingo, you will need to go there twice within a three-week (or possibly longer) period. And your Spanish needs to be good.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This might be good for snowbirds in the SD area, but very few, if any, on the northcoast will be interested in this. They'll just go elsewhere.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Also important edit: the law I quoted in my original post is Article 83, Paragraph III. Not 84. Sorry.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
"En caso de ser aprobada la prórroga, la D.G.M. sólo podrá conceder una prórroga de
permanencia por sesenta (60) días

I read that as the DGM can only grant an extension of term for 60 days. so you get 60 days more. cynical me, I bet they still make you pay the overstay fee/fine when you leave!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
This might be good for snowbirds in the SD area, but very few, if any, on the northcoast will be interested in this. They'll just go elsewhere.

The advisory from the French Embassy in Santo Domingo in the other thread mentions you go to do just this at the DGM offices regionally including PP

Les Français, en situation irrégulière vis-à-vis de la loi dominicaine, peuvent se présenter dans l’un des bureaux de l’immigration (Saint-Domingue, Puerto Plata, Santiago et Punta Cana) pour exposer leur situation. Ils seront conseillés sur le type de visa qu’ils doivent solliciter auprès du consulat dominicain dans leur pays d’origine.

More than likely those in the regional offices will have to ask back to Santo Domingo but also the DGM website says an extension can be issued at the airports too and anyone going to the airports should be armed with the DGM procedure.

It just needs people like the OP to get off their butts and try again now and not refer back to news a year ago.

I think the OP needs congratulating for moving this all forward for all those that come for a few months and want to be legal.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
permanencia por sesenta (60) días

I read that as the DGM can only grant an extension of term for 60 days. so you get 60 days more. cynical me, I bet they still make you pay the overstay fee/fine when you leave!

I got extension at DGM main office several years ago and just presented the receipt of payment on departure and had no problems.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...............I think the OP needs congratulating for moving this all forward for all those that come for a few months and want to be legal.

Certainly does, nothing I enjoy more than when someone proves a couple of dr1 know it all experts wrong......... LOL

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Okay. I am going to copy/paste all relevant sections of the Ley Migratoria (2012) in the hopes that we can operate with all information possible re: whether the extension is 60 days or whether the extension just gets you 60 days total (ergo is really a 30-day extension). Here goes:

"Art. 36.- Son admitidos como No Residentes los extranjeros que califiquen en alguna de
las siguientes subcategorías:
1.Turistas, entendiendo por tales a los extranjeros que ingresan al país con
fines de recreo, esparcimiento, descanso o diversión, contando con recursos
suficientes para ello.

Art. 40.- Los plazos de permanencia que serán autorizados a los extranjeros admitidos
como No Residentes, podrán ser:
1.De hasta 60 días, prorrogables para las personas comprendidas en los incisos
1, 2 y 7 del Artículo 36.

Art. 41.- El reglamento de aplicación de esta ley dispondrá de las condiciones de los
plazos de permanencia, los requisitos de prorroga y las condiciones de cancelación
de la permanencia, para las diferentes categorías y subcategorías de admisión de los
extranjeros.

ARTÍCULO 81.- Los requisitos exigidos para la permanencia de los Extranjeros No
Residentes en territorio nacional serán los siguientes:
a) Turista. El Extranjero que ingrese en calidad de Turista estará provisto de
Visa de Turista o de una Tarjeta de Turismo. La Visa de Turista es emitida por la
misión consular de la República en el exterior, de acuerdo a las disposiciones de
la Ley Sobre Visados No. 875, del 31 de julio de 1978, y por el Manual de Normas
y Practicas Consulares adoptadas por el Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores. La
Tarjeta de Turismo puede ser adquirida de acuerdo con las disposiciones de la Ley
que rige la materia. La permanencia máxima del Turista extranjero en la República
Dominicana, es de sesenta (60) días.

ARTÍCULO 83.- Para la aplicación del artículo 41 de la Ley, la D.G.M. recibirá y evaluará
toda solicitud de prórroga de permanencia que haga todo Extranjero siguiendo los
parámetros establecidos en presente Reglamento.
PÁRRAFO I.- El Extranjero admitido como No Residente que manifieste interés de
prorrogar el plazo de permanencia, debe dirigir su solicitud motivada a la D.G.M. sin
que, en ningún caso, pueda solicitarse más de una prórroga.
PÁRRAFO III.- La solicitud de prórroga debe estar acompañada de los siguientes
documentos:
1. Para los turistas:
a) Formulario de solicitud debidamente llenado;
b) Pasaporte con vigencia mínima de seis (6) meses a partir de la prorroga.
c) Boleto aéreo o marítimo de regreso;
d) Una dirección en la República Dominicana;
e) Certificado médico expedido por un medico autorizado con su debido exequátur;
f) Prueba de solvencia económica;
g) El pago de los derechos previstos.
En caso de ser aprobada la prórroga, la D.G.M. sólo podrá conceder una prórroga de
permanencia por sesenta (60) días. En caso de ser rechazada la solicitud, se procederá
conforme a lo que dispone la Ley y el presente Reglamento. Se exceptúan de esta
disposición, los hijos de dominicanos nacidos en el exterior.
"

Until I get the extension document back and can post that, too, what are people's informed opinions on squaring all those articles? The first three and also fifth articles (36/40/41/83) combined imply that you can get longer than 60 days, with an extension. The fourth one (81) implies that even extensions cannot get you beyond 60 days.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The advisory from the French Embassy in Santo Domingo in the other thread mentions you go to do just this at the DGM offices regionally including PP

Les Français, en situation irrégulière vis-à-vis de la loi dominicaine, peuvent se présenter dans l’un des bureaux de l’immigration (Saint-Domingue, Puerto Plata, Santiago et Punta Cana) pour exposer leur situation. Ils seront conseillés sur le type de visa qu’ils doivent solliciter auprès du consulat dominicain dans leur pays d’origine.

More than likely those in the regional offices will have to ask back to Santo Domingo but also the DGM website says an extension can be issued at the airports too and anyone going to the airports should be armed with the DGM procedure.

It just needs people like the OP to get off their butts and try again now and not refer back to news a year ago.

I think the OP needs congratulating for moving this all forward for all those that come for a few months and want to be legal.

That sure would help if they could get the extension at regional offices and airports. I saw that notice about being able to get the extension at airports when it was first released. I was at POP one day shortly thereafter and asked immigration there about it. They didn't have any idea what I was talking about.

Yes, congratulations to the OP for being able to get the extension. Many posters here have gone to DGM in SD and tried and were just turned way and told to pay the overstay fee.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Thanks all for the congrats. My main concern here is figuring out 60-day vs. 90-day total stay, as it determines whether I will need to do a "tourist card run" to PR or Haiti in order to come back and be driving with a valid license during my last week here.

Feb 7, 2007
I got extension at DGM main office several years ago and just presented the receipt of payment on departure and had no problems.

I did get this as well 5 years back. It was when I went to get residency visa to Cancilleria in SD. I had to pay up the overstay fee and show this pink slip at Cancilleria.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
chs1986 you can only drive legally on a foreign operator's license for your first so many days in the country. I don't remember if it is 45, 60, or 90. You better check on that also.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
chs1986 you can only drive legally on a foreign operator's license for your first so many days in the country. I don't remember if it is 45, 60, or 90. You better check on that also.

Technically it's 90 days, but there's a more restrictive limit in that your license is only valid as long as you are legal. So, for most tourists, that's 30 days. For me, that's either 60 days or 90 days, depending on how you interpret this prorroga decision.