240,000 Dominicans leave poverty levels every year?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
"The Ministry of Economy, Planning and Development (Mepyd) said on Monday, in response to certain questions to the presidential speech on February 27, that official statistics and international organizations prove that in the last five years in the country have left poverty 240 thousand people per year.

This is explained by the drop of 14.2 percentage points in the monetary poverty rate that went from 39.7% in 2012 to 25.5% in 2017, context in which the number of people in monetary poverty decreased from 3.8 million in 2012 to 2.6 million in 2017."

The article is found on the link below:

http://almomento.net/gobierno-revela-240-mil-dominicanos-dejan-la-pobreza-cada-ano/

I would like to meet some of the 240,000 Dominicans saved from poverty every year?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Very interesting articles.

Everything is relative, subsidy vs. government statistic vs. reality vs. DR dystopian?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
One can tell election campaigns and changes to the Constitution are evolving. The party in power, the PLD, is using government ministries to affix its own spin on statistics.

Regards,

PJT

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....listened to that speech.....didnt sound like he was talking about the DR........

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
"The Ministry of Economy, Planning and Development (Mepyd) said on Monday, in response to certain questions to the presidential speech on February 27, that official statistics and international organizations prove that in the last five years in the country have left poverty 240 thousand people per year.

This is explained by the drop of 14.2 percentage points in the monetary poverty rate that went from 39.7% in 2012 to 25.5% in 2017, context in which the number of people in monetary poverty decreased from 3.8 million in 2012 to 2.6 million in 2017."

The article is found on the link below:

http://almomento.net/gobierno-revela-240-mil-dominicanos-dejan-la-pobreza-cada-ano/

I would like to meet some of the 240,000 Dominicans saved from poverty every year?

You'd have to travel outside the DR to meet them

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I could introduce to to many working poor, that have climbed above the poverty level; mainly by getting educated.

And I could stick my neck out of the window and smell and see misery all around me?

Mr. Bob,

Some people would like you to believe that the grass is green and flash quick numbers and statistics, these are the ones that are totally disconnected from the reality of daily living by the millions.

Those are the ones with the positions, the big vehicles, the big paychecks, relations, visas and the ones that get to go overseas to study and get PhDs, while the common Dominican sucks wind!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And I could stick my neck out of the window and smell and see misery all around me?

Mr. Bob,

Some people would like you to believe that the grass is green and flash quick numbers and statistics, these are the ones that are totally disconnected from the reality of daily living by the millions.

Those are the ones with the positions, the big vehicles, the big paychecks, relations, visas and the ones that get to go overseas to study and get PhDs, while the common Dominican sucks wind!

I think I am pretty familar to the lifestyle of the average Dominican. We employ more than 50 of them, have around a thousand as clients, and have numerous relatives that are either still poor, or not too far removed from that situation. We have manny former students that came from poverty and are now professionals- Doctors, dentists, lawyers, engineers, and yes a couple are politicians. Others are small business owners...etc. Most are financially better off than their parents were, with a substancial amount owning their own houses. Pretty well most of the old Barro near our house has been remade, from wooden shacks to two story concrete houses. Twenty years ago I rarely saw a car other that a farm truck. Now there are many.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
This is what happens when foreigners come and hang out in the worst neighborhoods with the worst people. I am not a proponent of many things Dominican and choose to live in Florida but we have come along way in a short period of time. Those who debate that are new to the "3rd world" or have no context as to what constitutes poverty and progress from a global perspective.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This is what happens when foreigners come and hang out in the worst neighborhoods with the worst people. I am not a proponent of many things Dominican and choose to live in Florida but we have come along way in a short period of time. Those who debate that are new to the "3rd world" or have no context as to what constitutes poverty and progress from a global perspective.

I concur.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I think I am pretty familar to the lifestyle of the average Dominican. We employ more than 50 of them, have around a thousand as clients, and have numerous relatives that are either still poor, or not too far removed from that situation. We have manny former students that came from poverty and are now professionals- Doctors, dentists, lawyers, engineers, and yes a couple are politicians. Others are small business owners...etc. Most are financially better off than their parents were, with a substancial amount owning their own houses. Pretty well most of the old Barro near our house has been remade, from wooden shacks to two story concrete houses. Twenty years ago I rarely saw a car other that a farm truck. Now there are many.

Of course there is progress and individuals that flow in the same direction, specially when an earned skill/education stands as backbone would do well, no argument there; however, to claim the numbers the article mentioned is a complete fallacy.

Do you truly concur with them?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Of course there is progress and individuals that flow in the same direction, specially when an earned skill/education stands as backbone would do well, no argument there; however, to claim the numbers the article mentioned is a complete fallacy.

Do you truly concur with them?

I neither agree or disagree with the numbers because I don't know how they arrived at that number. I do know that the vast majority of people shopping in Pricesmart are Dominicans, and they spend a lot of money. The vast majority of expensive jeepetas like Prados....etc are being bought by Dominicans.....etc. There are millions of poor people in the DR, but there is plenty of evidence that many people are doing better than the past. Is the number important to you?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Mr. Bob,

First of all you are in a third world country. What do you really expect? It is no different in many similar countries around the world and to some degree you could apply your theory to many pockets of the U.S. As you know statistics can be easily manipulated. So who are you blaming for the plight of the poor in the DR? Is it the politicians, the business owners or society in general. You are talking about a country that can't provide the basics like clean water and continuous electrical power to all. Bottom line is those who are in power in the DR don't consider that they have enough resources to make any major changes in the short term to change the lives of many on the bottom rung of society. Maybe it's just not a top priority for a third world gov. They figure the poor will always be there.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
... and "how many" of those Prado owners are financing, paying just enough to pay the interest on the loan?

how many of them? just about all of them. go to any of the auto fairs in places like Santiago, and there are more finance outlets than car dealers.

however...is that any different than the USA? only 39% of Americans have enough savings to cover a 1000 dollar emergency. so, the difference in poverty levels is determined, in part, by access to credit.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
... and "how many" of those Prado owners are financing, paying just enough to pay the interest on the loan?

Many, but many can flop cash down too. I do deposits twice a day, and the amount of people I see depositing large sums of money daily is amazing. This is one small bank in one small community so unless this is an anomaly confined to Jarabacoa, therre are a lot of people in the DR with money.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
The vast majority of expensive jeepetas like Prados....etc are being bought by Dominicans.....etc.
See, this is exactly one of the many problems with society in countries as this one; wealth is defined by what one drives; isn't that just crazy?

Please show me how many regular Dominicans drive such vehicles and I'll show someone that knwos someone with party affiliation and government connection at higher places.

There are millions of poor people in the DR, but there is plenty of evidence that many people are doing better than the past. Is the number important to you?

I've already answered that portion above, numbers aren't important to me but it does serve well for those who wants to portrait that marvelous things are happening, so they continue to milk the same cow, for others, they are just stupid enough to actually believe it and advertise it as their own.