tax on PC

kbf

Apr 24, 2002
Could anybody tell me what the actual percentage on tax for import of PC is. I will receive one from Dell and I am the opinion there is ZERO tax fro PC. Correct me if you know better.

Thanks

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
That's what I've been told!

However there was an article in one of the newspapers bout PC's. Not sure if it was carried here on DR1 but a search of the news archives should bring it up if it was.

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
The tax for a computer at one time was about 1.21% but while helping a person at Santiago Airport import a computer he got hit with something called "Intercambiaria" or similar which they tried to explain. This is at a higher rate than the tax.

Maybe somebody could explain what this is and prepare you before being surprised at "las Aduanas"?

kbf

Apr 24, 2002
I paid no tax, but this famous >whatever cambiaria< which amounted to RD$954.42 for a Dell PC incl. DHL trtansport of US$1200.

I had a bad ecperience with DHL who called me today to pay this cambiara but will deliver the PC only tomorrow. This PC is in the country since last Friday night and will be delivered to me tomorr ow on THursday, which is due to the delay by the incompetent work of DHL and his employees in this country.

Karl