Legalizing documents

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
BLUF: Needed to get a new divorce certificate.

Started my journey at my closest Junta Central Electoral (JCE) office in the Districto Nacional, S.D. Showed my cedula at the information counter, was given a working copy to verify that all was good on the document, then took the working copy to the cashier cage to pay. Afterwards, took receipt to a back office to get the official copy.

Happy that the process only took 20 mins, I was about to leave until the lady told me that now I have to legalize the document. Not knowing what that meant, I was puzzled, she nicely said "in La Feria". Where is this office in this building? "oh no" she replied, it is on the other side of S.D. For some odd reason, you have to go to another gov't office to legalize any documents, great !

1 hour later (due to traffic and looking up the location on google maps) I find parking on the street (had to give a tip to the legal/illegal street parking enforcement guy). Before I stepped out of the car, a person, aka Bucon, tells me that for 100 pesos he will take any papers to get legalized and that by the next day they will be ready, to save me the trouble of standing in a long line. I refused and went inside the JCE.

20 mins later, I got my documents legalized at no charge !!

Moral of the story: 1- You may have to go to two different JCE to get your documents straight. 
2- Don't pay any Bucon on the street 
3- The legal seal on the document has an expiration date.