Discussion on the war of AIDS

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I know it's not romantic but once in a while we need to be reminded that AIDS has not gone away. Many people also have the wrong information on this. So I decided to bring it in a new thread instead of going on in the other. Here is some info to start things off. All I'm saying is be aware! I found the following.

Caribbean

HIV is ravaging the populations of several Caribbean island states. Indeed some have worse epidemics than any other country in the world outside sub-Saharan Africa. In Haiti, over 5% of adults are living with HIV, and in the Bahamas the adult prevalence rate is over 4%. In the Dominican Republic, one adult in 40 is HIV-infected, while in Trinidad and Tobago the rate exceeds one adult in 100. At the other end of the spectrum lies Saint Lucia, the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands, where fewer than 1 pregnant woman in 500 tested positive for HIV in recent surveillance studies. In the most affected countries of the Caribbean, the spread of HIV infection is driven by unprotected sex between men and women, although infections associated with injecting drug use are common in some places, such as Puerto Rico.

Haiti, where the spread of HIV may well have been fuelled by decades of poor governance and conflict, is the worst affected nation in the region. In some areas, 13% of anonymously tested pregnant women were found to be HIV-positive in 1996. Overall, around 8% of adults in urban areas and 4% in rural areas are infected. HIV transmission in Haiti is overwhelmingly heterosexual, and both infection and death are concentrated in young adults. It is estimated that nearly 75,000 Haitian children had lost their mothers to AIDS by the end of 1999.

The heterosexual epidemics of HIV infection in the Caribbean are driven by the deadly combination of early sexual activity and frequent partner exchange by young people. In Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, where the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases is high for the region, a quarter of men and women in a recent national survey said they had started having sex before the age of 14, and half of both men and women were sexually active at the age of 16. In a large survey of men and women in their teens and early twenties in Trinidad and Tobago, fewer than a fifth of the sexually active respondents said they always used condoms, and two-thirds did not use condoms at all.

A mixing of ages, which has contributed to pushing the HIV rate in young African women to such a high levels, is common in this population too. Whilst most young men had sex with women of their own age or younger, over 28% of young girls said they has sex with older men. As a result, HIV rates are five times higher in girls than boys aged 15-19 in Trinidad and Tobago, and at one surveillance centre for pregnant women in Jamaica, girls in their late teens had almost twice the prevalence rate of older women.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
STDs

Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to get this information out to people who can use it???

Does anyone know of any non-profits who are doing work in this area who need volunteers??

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Through the government sector CEA. I know they do some work in bateys and barrios, educating on birth control, condoms, they do paps, the whole nine yards. They also give out birth control to those interested.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Thought provoking

STD?s, if we don?t talk about them, then they don?t exist
It is something that is whispered about, not debated.
So of let?s bury our heads in the sand and the problem will go away.
This doesn?t happen in my neighborhood.
The government will take care of it.
???..There?s nobody left who will do anything.

They do exist.
It needs to be debated loudly.
The problem will not go away.
It does happen in my neighborhood.
The government won?t take care of it.
???..I?m the only one left who......

PJT

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's surprising how many people are misinformed about the subject. They think, it could never happen to them. Or that it only happens to certain groups of people. Not only HIV but STD in general.The drop in centre where I volunteered had all kinds of information, free condoms at the door, ( so the teens wouldn't be shy about asking for them. We have two public health nurses coming in each week (one male, one female) . Free clinics to get tested but it still happens in great numbers. Just because they don't talk about as much on TV as they used to doesn't mean the problem went away.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
It takes about 10 years to go from HIV to AIDS (ref: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq4.htm).

On average, people die within 2 years after getting AIDS (ref: http://www.world-links.org/aidsweb/testing/goal1.html#q2)

How is it that the number of HIV cases in the USA in 1988-1992 was 200,000 but in 1999 only 20,000 people died of AIDS (ref: http://www.unaids.org/hivaidsinfo/statistics/fact_sheets/pdfs/USA_en.pdf)?

Seems the stats are off somewhere by a factor of at least 10.

The HIV/AIDS rate (1999) in the USA is .61% (ref: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html).

In the DR it is estimated at .625% (ref: http://www.paho.org/English/SHA/prfldor.htm) or 2.5% (ref: http://www.avert.org/aroundworld.htm) or 2.8% (ref: http://www.unaids.org/hivaidsinfo/statistics/fact_sheets/pdfs/Dominicanrepublic_en.pdf).

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Before I start ranting on the "Politics of AIDS" I would like to ask one question.

Does anybody personally know of 1 Heterosexual Male who is not an intravenous drug user or hemophiliac who is HIV + that contacted it through sexual contact?

Tony C.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm a little skeptical of numbers...

After being in medical research for a few years, it's amazing how many doctors would try and somehow add an AIDS slant to their funding proposals.

No Tony, I can honestly say I do not know one heterosexual male that has contracted HIV.

Bottom line, stay informed and take the necessary precautions.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Where did you volunteer Anna?

Oh yeah, in Tamayo where I stayed, they had a centre called CIAC. They give out free condoms and Aids info. I found that out one night when we were staying there alone one night, and 3 guys came to the door asking us for condoms!!! We were shocked, hee, hee..... and soon found out why!

Mar 21, 2002
What's the big stink about AIDS?

If 1 in 40 Dominicans has AIDS that leaves 39 that don't have it. If aids where such a plague it would have destroyed more than what the black plague did in the 14th century.

That killed off 25% of Europe. It took Europe alone 100 years to get its population back to what it was before it started.

Aids is baloney. If aids was such a threat most of the DR would be dead by now. All that fooling around without condoms would have killed off everyone.

I think its a bunch of hogwash. Aids is more difficult to catch than what one is misled to believe.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Tony C said:

Does anybody personally know of 1 Heterosexual Male who is not an intravenous drug user or hemophiliac who is HIV + that contacted it through sexual contact?

Tony C.

I don't think it matters who is getting infected with HIV or AIDS but I do know that cases among women, heterosexual women, are on the rise.

"According to Centers for Disease Control and prevention, AIDS cases for women increased 12 times between June 1989 and December 1998. During that same time period, AIDS cases among teen women, ages 13 to 19, increased 18 times."

So, maybe it's time to stop talking about who's getting infected and talk about how all of us can promote prevention.

That's my 2 cents.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
During the time I lived in Sosua, I would regularly hear about young men passing away. Every few weeks. You didn't even need to ask of what. I have a suspicion that someone in my husband's family died of AIDS, because who dies of pneumonia at the age of 32?

We should all be concerned.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Was there ever any "evidence" that Earvin (sp) Johnson was anything but "straight?"

Janice

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Re: What's the big stink about AIDS?

Onions&carrots said:
If 1 in 40 Dominicans has AIDS that leaves 39 that don't have it.

I think its a bunch of hogwash.

Would you think it is hogwash, if that 1 in 40 were you or someone you love?

Regards, PJT

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
O&C...

It is just like you to take one serious subject and turn it into a joke. I don?t know if you are aware but the percentage of 1 in 40 was given among people who have actually gone to a doctor. People in DR do not visit or lay out cash to pay for a Doctor unless they are really sick. People with insurance from work will not ask for a test because they know DR has no real privacy laws. Usually, a person with HIV will get regular COLD symptoms, which people will most likely self treat it. It is when they get Aids that they usually find out. Others are just aware of their risky sexual life and are afraid to get the ?Yes you tested positive? from a doctor so they just don?t visit one. There are even women in DR that are over 30 and have never done a pap smear and let me not even talk about the men. That is a real shame? many people in DR are so aware about the mechanic and the maintenance of their valuable?s yet they do not worry about their own bodies.

If you think about it, it?s not like we are telling people to stop their sexual life or to be considerate and carring about others. We are just telling them:
Hey! Take care of your self! Just yourself and no one else?

Mar 21, 2002
Smith Solomon Barney+Pjtabsdefghij...

Look of course I would be devastated if it were me or someone I love or loathe. Yet this Aids plague no le da ni a los tobillos a the Black Plague.Doesn't even come close to the Spanish influenza

Let's say that Smith is correct. Let's suppose that out of 40 Dominicans 10 are HIV+. That still leaves 30 that don't have it are sexually active so on and so forth.
Just goes to show you how overrated aids is.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
O&C

You yourself said how Dominicans must have sex twice a day and from your various other rantings we deduce that it's not necessarily with the same person. From what you say, all you do to make a connection with a woman is smile. Hardly time to ask if she's been tested. So 1 in 40 sounds like good odds to you? Can't you see that at that rate your path is bound to cross with ONE of those many 1 in 40's? Even if you're well protected, doesn't that rankle your nerves?

Mar 21, 2002
You prove my point

At the rate of 1 in 40 by now the HIV rate in the DR would have to be reaching full capacity. By now everyone in the DR must have aids. So why hasn't that happened. I don't know any Dominican men that use condoms yet all have at least 5-10 partners which they recycle about on average every 2-3 weeks or more likely less.
People like Golo,Criss,AZB who recycle their women probably weekly are the norm.

At that rate aids should have grown exponentially. Making a mathematical model of this you could compare it to the rate of decay of C12 to C14 in fossils. It is a smooth upwardly moving function. So why doesn't everyone in the DR have aids?

It sure as heck isn't cuz of fidelity.It's cuz aids doesn't pose the threat that people believe it does.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
O&C DEAR! It's this kind of thinking that keeps AIDS growing. With all we know and the many years the information has been out it should have greatly decreased. You say that at this rate everyone should have aids. Let me ask you this.Have you ever been tested? You don't need to answer me just answer yourself. Of all the people that think like you and never had a test how would you know? I'm not saying not have sex. I'm saying be aware and take care.

Merideth, I volunteered here in Guelph. It's a centre for teens 13 to 24. Lots of kids run away from home from time to time. We gave them any info they needed and tried to direct them in the right path. At a young age kids can either get help and go on or they may never change but at least if one or two gets help then we've gone much. I used to cut their hair. It's hard to find $20 for a cut when your on the street. I also gave them pointers on how to handle a job interview. Some of the kids are still e mailing me from the centre.Which is nice. :)

Edited to add the web site of where I got the info
http://www.avert.org/wwhiv.htm

Last edited: