Underpaid or Laziness; Dominican workers vs Haitians Immigrants

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
"The hiring of Haitians in the construction sector of the Dominican Republic is almost obligatory due to the refusal of Dominicans to carry out heavy and unskilled jobs, revealed the Dominican Association of Home Builders and Developers (Acoprovi).

María Gaton, president of the union, explained that "we want to comply with the employment of a proportion of 80% of Dominicans and 20% of foreigners, as established by the Labor Code, but the Creole workers do not want to do hard work".

"Given this refusal, we are forced to hire Haitian immigrants who do not have a technical level; that is, they are not carpenters, varilleros, masons, but it is a workforce that is generally developed in all countries by immigrants, "he said."

http://almomento.net/ven-negativa-dominicanos-a-trabajar-pesado-obliga-a-emplear-haitianos/

Dominicans steer away from hard construction labor or pay isn't enough to attract them?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We currently have three construction projects on the go under one supervisor. His crew is about 80 percent Dominican and 20 percent legal Haitians. I watch them work. None of them are lazy and they all are paid the same except the head mason who makes more as he is # 2.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......Dominicans steer away from hard construction labor or pay isn't enough to attract them?

My guess the pay for hard labor isn't enough when one can sit under a shade tree and make more money a day being a motocochisto. Dominicans see to do all of the skilled labor and most of it on larger projects is done quite well.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"The hiring of Haitians in the construction sector of the Dominican Republic is almost obligatory due to the refusal of Dominicans to carry out heavy and unskilled jobs, revealed the Dominican Association of Home Builders and Developers (Acoprovi).

María Gaton, president of the union, explained that "we want to comply with the employment of a proportion of 80% of Dominicans and 20% of foreigners, as established by the Labor Code, but the Creole workers do not want to do hard work".

"Given this refusal, we are forced to hire Haitian immigrants who do not have a technical level; that is, they are not carpenters, varilleros, masons, but it is a workforce that is generally developed in all countries by immigrants, "he said."

http://almomento.net/ven-negativa-dominicanos-a-trabajar-pesado-obliga-a-emplear-haitianos/

Dominicans steer away from hard construction labor or pay isn't enough to attract them?
Read between the lines: they don't want to pay more because construction prices would go up and new projects down.

I thought one metric of a country's economy is rising real wages. How can that happen by exploiting cheap---and often illegal---foreign labor, in this case Haitians.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Haitians have undercut the wages paid to Dominicans and Dominicans do not want to work for the slave wages that Haitians get.

Developers don't want to pay more because either construction pricres would have to up or they would not be able to fatten their wallets like they are accustomed to.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Read between the lines: they don't want to pay more because construction prices would go up and new projects down.

I thought one metric of a country's economy is rising real wages. How can that happen by exploiting cheap---and often illegal---foreign labor, in this case Haitians.

Sounds familiar. Maybe the DR needs a wall ?

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Because a Haitian will finish the job in half the time, steal half the material a Dominican would, and work for half the money. :laugh::p

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

What a shame, those Dominicans are behaving so much like the americans. For some reason Dominicans thinks that Haitians are so much like the Mexican in the US.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Dont forget about the labor accident insurance that engineers have to pay and is calculated that amount inthe quotation of the the project but never is paid to the goverment because workers are ilgals and they pocket that money.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
We currently have three construction projects on the go under one supervisor. His crew is about 80 percent Dominican and 20 percent legal Haitians. I watch them work. None of them are lazy and they all are paid the same except the head mason who makes more as he is # 2.

May i ask how much? Just to get a crosscheck....

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I thought one metric of a country's economy is rising real wages.

So Mr. Economist, following your footsteps and by this same metric, is therefore concluded that the DR is dragging their feet when it comes to economic progress?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

Why aren't more locals taking upon it then, whats your take Mr. Bob?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Haitians have undercut the wages paid to Dominicans and Dominicans do not want to work for the slave wages that Haitians get.

Developers don't want to pay more because either construction pricres would have to up or they would not be able to fatten their wallets like they are accustomed to.

Why isn't this leveraged somehow by the government y regulating construction and construction business/builders?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So Mr. Economist, following your footsteps and by this same metric, is therefore concluded that the DR is dragging their feet when it comes to economic progress?
Any policy beyond hands off retards any country's development.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So much for an economic answer, may I ask you not to to expand so much on your detailed replies?
I did before vis-a-vis the supply/demand component of construction labor costs and consequences thereof.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why aren't more locals taking upon it then, whats your take Mr. Bob?

Could you repeat that in understandable English. Consteuction is one of the biggest enployers in the DR. Lots of our clients are builders plumbers electricians painters window installers building supply owners or workers....etc. Construction is more that carrying blocks or mixing cement.