Flights from Puerto Plata to UK, via Germany

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Having found it difficult, if not impossible, to buy the return half of the charter flights (with TUI/Thomson) back to the UK from Puerto Plata, I've most recently been traveling via Germany. My route was usually with Condor as it was then possible to buy a through ticket to Birmingham (my preferred airport in UK) and not have to pick up my luggage and check it in again in Germany. I was checking and these flights don't seem to go beyond the middle of May.

Does anyone know if these flights are changing and if German Wings, EuroWings or Condor will be flying from Puerto Plata from this Summer onwards? Thanks for any help you can give.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
This summer Eurowings will continue with flights to POP.  Two flights per week from Cologne and starting on the 19th July a weekly flight from Munich.  An extra flight up from last year.

I am waiting for further information that Thomas Cook UK will be returning to POP this Autumn.  The rumours are getting louder.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thanks a lot, I had already looked at this but it didn't tie up with what the flight booking websites were telling me. Even if Thomas Cook come back, won't the same restrictions apply about only being able to buy a return from the UK end? I can't afford to buy two returns only to use half of each ticket, even if you were able to, which Thomson always insisted in recent years was against the UK regulations. Some people seem to have got around it, but I haven't managed to.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i dunno about thomas cook but i did call polish TUI a while ago to see if they will do DR-PL-DR flight and they said no problemo, they can handle this over the phone. there is a plan to have direct flights from poland to POP again so maybe you can go through poland rather than germany? plenty of polaks in the UK so plenty of connecting flights too.

i will keep an eye on the new flight schedule and post it here when i know more. it ain't that easy to leave north coast paradise, gotta say...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thomas  Cook owns 40% of Aldiana.... 
whatever that Hotel is on the north coast.

Flights should be coming

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Thomas  Cook owns 40% of Aldiana.... 
whatever that Hotel is on the north coast.

Flights should be coming

It used to be called Breezes. Near Perla Marina between Sosua and Cab. I often see heavily laden trucks full of building materials drive in, so some kind of refurbishment is well under way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's finished now I think...open for business

One of the posters here was involved, if you remember....
at the early stages

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thank you, dv8, so much more difficult than in the good old days when you could share tickets and all kinds of stuff that isn't possible now. I hope they'll be some new opening soon and would appreciate any updates.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
i dunno about thomas cook but i did call polish TUI a while ago to see if they will do DR-PL-DR flight and they said no problemo, they can handle this over the phone. there is a plan to have direct flights from poland to POP again so maybe you can go through poland rather than germany? plenty of polaks in the UK so plenty of connecting flights too.

i will keep an eye on the new flight schedule and post it here when i know more. it ain't that easy to leave north coast paradise, gotta say...

Would you happen to know if a Dominican with a UK visa would be able to transit through Poland enroute to UK without a Polish/EU/Schengen/transit visa?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Would you happen to know if a Dominican with a UK visa would be able to transit through Poland enroute to UK without a Polish/EU/Schengen/transit visa?

as far as i know no transit visa is required.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
It's been a while since anyone posted in here and I'm still looking for flights from POP to the UK in September. Eurowings look about the only option if you don't want to go through the US. If anyone has any updates, I'd be grateful. Birmingham, my airport of choice, is off the radar if you want to buy a through flight, which I do as I'm hoping my Dominican husband may get a visa to travel with me. You need a through ticket with connecting flights to avoid having to apply for the transit visa in Germany (and probably some of the other countries mentioned here, too). I'd appreciate knowing of any more options. Thanks.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Have you tried a flight search engine such as Kayak?

I just did a search for Puerto Plata to London for two weeks in September and it gave me literally a 100+ options.
At the top of the list was a round trip departing POP at 5:45pm on September 6th, Connecting in Munich and arriving in London at 7:30pm on Sept 7th. 
Return flight departs London at 8:15pm on Sept 19th and arrives in POP at 4:10pm on the 20th. 
Total round trip cost; $869 US.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Timotero, those dates don't work for me but I'd love to take a look at other options. Which company was that with please, if you remember? Yes, I have been trying a lot of flight search engines. That is around a 26 hour journey, which is high for that route, but willing to look at all options. The Eurowings I mentioned was 14. Thanks very much for your help.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I have the same issue for flights from POP to LON this year, Birmingham I can imagine is even harder. For some reason Condor is not offering it via Germany and only gives you via USA and very expensive (avoid at all costs). I heard someone mentioned they are changing their hub to Dusseldorf from Frankfurt and will show new schedules via there soon.

I PM you another option I found, I don't want to advertise it to be filled up before I get a chance to book mine for Nov. ... lol

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Condor have stopped operations into POP as of last week.  They will resume in Oct this year.  I hope it's not the start of something more sinister for POP, but this is the first time Condor have stopped flying to POP for 25 years.

But the fact remains, POP is not a profitable airport to fly to.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I just booked for a return trip to England in Sept./Oct. I checked various flight search sites and Eurowings seems the best/cheapest option, especially starting from POP. They don't go to Birmingham, it seems, but you have a choice of London Stansted or Heathrow. Unfortunately, their "Best" class, which I used to consider good value for the relatively small extra cost, now doesn't seem to be available.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I cannot with a direct flight but I have flown WestJet -

POP to YYZ to Gatwick...
easy connection going from POP but YYZ overnight on the return

Not perfect but an option
and quite affordable in the winter months