Best hotel in Puerto Plata for 2 week stay

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
I am planning to vacation again in Puerto Plata again for two weeks. Besides AI hotels what hotel would you recommend that is in Puerto Plata or close. Looking for a place to stay and not have to worry about things missing from my room (passport) decent security and with a fairly safe surrounding area. Does not matter if it has a pool.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Billma90 ,
Why don't you try Casa Colonial - not an AI , wonderfull location, with a super spa with excellent massage and wellness facilities. The roof top lunch restaurant is fantastic and you can always spend some time in the roof top pool. Not cheap mind you but then you did NOT want an AI

Olly and the Team

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...i recommend Casa Colonial as well...........If you get bored buy a day pass to Sunscape next door......

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Actually looking for something a bit less pricey. $260 U.S.$ a night is kinda expensive considering i still have to buy airfare. Not looking for anything very fancy, just with good security and clean premises, hot water shower :cheeky:
Iberostar is $2450. Canadian $ for the time slot i am coming for 2 weeks, includes air fare and bus to the hotel from the airport.
I see hotel Mountain View is about $50. a night and in a central location close to everything. Seems to have a pool also, wifi included. Photos show rooms to look comfortable. thoughts?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Flashy, spendy place... Casa Colonial

small little chink of property but really pretty hotel

maybe try lunch....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mountain view is puta paradise and it's located smack in the middle of the city, surrounded by barrios. but to each their own. many may enjoy it.
if you are looking at the lower prices aparta hotel lomar on the malecon may be more up your alley. that area is fairly safe, short walk to la sirena and bars/restaurants on the malecon and on luis ginebra.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Garden by the sea. I highly recommend it. it is a small (7 units, I think) hotel run by a retired american lawyer. I think the price is in the area of $65/night. Owner lives on property, and the service is personal.
PM me, if you want additional details.
It is actually in Sosua, not PP.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Garden by the sea. I highly recommend it. it is a small (7 units, I think) hotel run by a retired american lawyer. I think the price is in the area of $65/night. Owner lives on property, and the service is personal.
PM me, if you want additional details.
It is actually in Sosua, not PP.

It's in Playa Laguna.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
ok, ok, So, I don't know where one boundary ends, and another begins. I'm just a stupid gringo

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
mountain view is puta paradise and it's located smack in the middle of the city, surrounded by barrios. but to each their own. many may enjoy it.
if you are looking at the lower prices aparta hotel lomar on the malecon may be more up your alley. that area is fairly safe, short walk to la sirena and bars/restaurants on the malecon and on luis ginebra.
I think i remember seeing that hotel but never really took a good look. I like the area. Thanks, i will look into that. I always go to the malecon, sure would save me some travel time.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Sounds what i am looking for, but security? How secure would my cash and passport be there?

It's been a while since I've stayed there. There must have been a safe either in the room or at the front desk. I can't say for sure. Drop them a line.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Another good option, maybe i will just book for one week at a hotel, and if i don't like it i can book another week at another.

actually, Portofino is nice. i am not sure about price, but my buddy stays there all the time, and likes it a lot.

once he thought they had stolen his iphone, and later discovered that he had dropped it in his car, under the seat. he made a public apology to the chambermaid, and gave her 50 bucks ...

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
hotel kevin is an other Option (search in facebook: hotel kevin puerto plata).
I only stayed in Mountainview and the rooms are good, you don't have a swimming pool and the neighborhood is not the best, but I would stay there again if I needed to
The other ones, I can only say what I heard from my clients, I didn't tried them myself, but as a bar owner I hear a lot:

- Lomar:
Pro's:
at the malecon
Swimming pool
Security at night
Good price
Con's:
Outdated chambers

Portofino:
Pro's:
Close to the malecon
Swimming pool
Con's:
Nobody that I know was happy there. The owner treats the customers rude, prices are high if he knows you are a tourist, chambers are not good, food is terrible

Kevin:
Pro's:
Honest owner
Good price
Con's:
Not at the malcon

If I have friends asking, I would send them to lomar or kevin, maybe mountainview if they speak a bit of Spanish so that they can take a motoconjo

Last edited:

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Thanks, i appreciate your comments and time. I was also looking at Hotel Kevin the other day. I don't think it is too far from the malecon, short moto concho ride & i enjoy walking there. Vacation is so nice, no schedule, Puerto Plata is almost like a 2nd home as i have been coming there every year since 2009.

Off topic but one day walking on the malecon i hear someone shouting my name, "Bill, Bill" Imagine 1800 miles from home and being remembered by so many people. Anyhow it was a friend i met, he used to be a security guard at Iberostar and he had invited me to his home to meet his wife and children. Doesn't happen here, really lost in the crowd. :hurt:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
mountain view is located smack in the middle of the city, surrounded by barrios. but to each their own. many may enjoy it.

I would have to agree on this. We pass by that sign frequently due to the mercado and pulga, and somehow I've never even thought that a real hotel that I'd consider using is located there... I've lived in a few nicer barrios in Puerto Plata, but I would hesitate staying in that part of the city... Yes, close to everything but on the wrong side of the city...