New Cars/SUVs Registered in the DR in 2017

In 2017, did you or someone you know bought or registered a vehicle in the DR?

• Yes, a 2017 or 2018 model.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes, a 2016 or older model.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No, but I rented a car/suv.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII), aka Dominican IRS, published its annual Parque Vehicular report. The following are the most registered vehicle brands in 2017, counting only new vehicles (2017, 2018 models).

To have an idea of the Dominican new car business, lets take one small assumption and apply it to an actual reality. The cheapest Lexus SUV sells for about US$36,000 without adding the extra bells and whistles and before taxes and other charges. Assuming that the 428 new Lexus SUV's registered in the DR in 2017 are the cheapest SUVs (which is unrealistic, because the best selling Lexus SUV's in the DR are actually the most expensive models, often in excess of US$100,000 per vehicle), then the Lexus SUV business produced over US$15 million. Not bad.

As per Dominican business custom, each brand has a single exclusive importer and distributor, and this is the case not just with vehicles but with brands of just about anything. Since I already used Lexus as an example, the exclusive importers/distributors is Grupo Najri, owned by the Dominican-Arab family of the same last name. They also own exclusive rights to Toyota and I think one other vehicle brand.

And keep in mind, the example is only about new Lexus SUV's and below I only list cars and SUV's, not other vehicles also sold such as buses, trucks, etc; not mention that older models are not taken into consideration.

Most Popular New Cars (2017/2018 models) in 2017
Kia 1,430
Hyundai 955
Suzuki 451
Mercedes-Benz 173
Chevrolet 98
Ford 93
Toyota 91
Peugeot 89
Audi 76
Mazda 66
Volkswagen 49
Porsche 48
BMW 39
Honda 34
Renault 30
Fiat 19
Nissan 17
Lexus 13
Dodge 1
Others* 121

Most Popular New SUVs (2017/2018 models) in 2017
Hyundai 2,981
Toyota 2,329
Kia 1,979
Nissan 1,073
Suzuki 910
Ford 592
Chevrolet 579
Mazda 455
Honda 438
Lexus 428
Mercedes-Benz 385
Subaru 142
Mitsubishi 118
BMW 105
Audi 98
Porsche 77
Dodge 14
Volkswagen 10
Acura 1
Others* 622

* Others include brands such as Isuzu, SsangYong, Alfa Romeo, Bentley, Citroen, Ferrari, Land Rover, Mini, Seat, Volvo, Cadillac, Jeep, Lincoln, Mercury; among other lesser known brands.

Parque Vehicular 2018

In December 2017, the annual Popular Autoferia event by Banco Popular sold roughly RD$5 billion (US$104 million +/-) worth of new vehicles in just 4 days.

[video=youtube;mHO6hn6ooPs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHO6hn6ooPs[/video]

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII), aka Dominican IRS, published its annual Parque Vehicular report. The following are the most registered vehicle brands in 2017, counting only new vehicles (2017, 2018 models).

To have an idea of the Dominican new car business, lets take one small assumption and apply it to an actual reality. The cheapest Lexus SUV sells for about US$36,000 without adding the extra bells and whistles and before taxes and other charges. Assuming that the 428 new Lexus SUV's registered in the DR in 2017 are the cheapest SUVs (which is unrealistic, because the best selling Lexus SUV's in the DR are actually the most expensive models, often in excess of US$100,000 per vehicle), then the Lexus SUV business produced over US$15 million. Not bad.

As per Dominican business custom, each brand has a single exclusive importer and distributor, and this is the case not just with vehicles but with brands of just about anything. Since I already used Lexus as an example, the exclusive importers/distributors is Grupo Najri, owned by the Dominican-Arab family of the same last name. They also own exclusive rights to Toyota and I think one other vehicle brand.

And keep in mind, the example is only about new Lexus SUV's and below I only list cars and SUV's, not other vehicles also sold such as buses, trucks, etc; not mention that older models are not taken into consideration.

Most Popular New Cars (2017/2018 models) in 2017
Kia 1,430
Hyundai 955
Suzuki 451
Mercedes-Benz 173
Chevrolet 98
Ford 93
Toyota 91
Peugeot 89
Audi 76
Mazda 66
Volkswagen 49
Porsche 48
BMW 39
Honda 34
Renault 30
Fiat 19
Nissan 17
Lexus 13
Dodge 1
Others* 121

Most Popular New SUVs (2017/2018 models) in 2017
Hyundai 2,981
Toyota 2,329
Kia 1,979
Nissan 1,073
Suzuki 910
Ford 592
Chevrolet 579
Mazda 455
Honda 438
Lexus 428
Mercedes-Benz 385
Subaru 142
Mitsubishi 118
BMW 105
Audi 98
Porsche 77
Dodge 14
Volkswagen 10
Acura 1
Others* 622

* Others include brands such as Isuzu, SsangYong, Alfa Romeo, Bentley, Citroen, Ferrari, Land Rover, Mini, Seat, Volvo, Cadillac, Jeep, Lincoln, Mercury; among other lesser known brands.

Parque Vehicular 2018

In December 2017, the annual Popular Autoferia event by Banco Popular sold roughly RD$5 billion (US$104 million +/-) worth of new vehicles in just 4 days.

[video=youtube;mHO6hn6ooPs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHO6hn6ooPs[/video]

just being nitpickey, NALS, but the sale of an imported article does not produce anything, in economic parlance.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The cheapest Lexus SUV sells for about US$36,000 without adding the extra bells and whistles and before taxes and other charges.

NALs,
What Lexus SUV sells new here for US$36,000? A new Hyundai Tucson will run close to that here.

Cheapest Lexus SUV I see here is a NX390 and runs about US$63,000

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
At a 5%-7% net net profit, the sales of new vehicles in the DR generates massive direct economic impact and good jobs.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
just being nitpickey, NALS, but the sale of an imported article does not produce anything, in economic parlance.

I think you're wrong. I purchased a brand new vehicle last year and is because I am economically in way better shape than previous years (in 2012 I remember dreaming about being able to afford a 1998 Honda). I can say the same about the other people I personally know who purchased a brand new or close to brand new car; they're generally in better shape than previous years. Though they're always the ones who want to keep up with the Joneses, but regardless, in my opinion, apartment and vehicle sells have increased which means that there have been some economic growths.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I don't know whether to cry or laugh at this OP but it sure it is a crime shame to the common Dominicans to even dare to talk about buying Lexus, seriously?

What world are some of us living in, it certainly isn't DR related?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think you're wrong. I purchased a brand new vehicle last year and is because I am economically in way better shape than previous years (in 2012 I remember dreaming about being able to afford a 1998 Honda). I can say the same about the other people I personally know who purchased a brand new or close to brand new car; they're generally in better shape than previous years. Though they're always the ones who want to keep up with the Joneses, but regardless, in my opinion, apartment and vehicle sells have increased which means that there have been some economic growths.

you may think i am wrong if you are like other posters who do not seem to understand the term ''production''.

in economic parlance, production is the name that is applied to the process wherein the material factors of production, such as land, labor, and capital, are combined with the immaterial factors of production, such as technology and design, to realize a finished product intended for an end user. selling of said product is not production. you might want to apply some loose connectivity of the term to activity which takes place after the sale, but that is not production.

let us say that you buy 100 cases of beer from a company, and you sell them at a party. you make a 20,000 peso profit, which you use to pay the rent for the spot, and to pay the help. what have you produced? you might have created temporary employment for some people, but that is not production.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013

I would also disagree based on a few points. No vehicles are manufactured in the DR so they are all imports. Next, the people that import them, sell them and eventually fix them generate money back into this country so therefore they are in fact helping the local economy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would also disagree based on a few points. No vehicles are manufactured in the DR so they are all imports. Next, the people that import them, sell them and eventually fix them generate money back into this country so therefore they are in fact helping the local economy.

nobody said they are not helping the local economy. at the very least, people get jobs moving them from the wharves, dealer prepping them, and just generally do all the pre sale activities. guys make salesmen's commissions selling them. the owners of dealerships make money over and above what they pay for them. i am aware of all that.

but none of that is considered to be production, in economic terms.

this is a simple definition of production....

Production is a process of combining various material inputs and immaterial inputs (plans, know-how) in order to make something for consumption (the output). It is the act of creating output, a good or service which has value and contributes to the utility of individuals.[1]

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

Apartment sells would mean something if most were being made to cover the deficit in habitation this country has. As it is, the current constructions have all the markings of money laundering, since most of the new constructions seem to involve towers with apartments catering to a wealthy clique, and we all know how fleeting those kind of gold rushes are (specially since they inflate prices artificially for the benefit of a few). As for the SUV importations, it is just another show that the country is misspending its dollars on luxury goods rather than on importing machinery or other kinds of inputs for its production (agrarian or manufacturies). No country has ever reached developed status spending its gold on luxury goods. Just ask the Portuguese about what the heck they did with all the Brazilian gold and diamonds they received when they owned that country.

Last edited:

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Apartment sells would mean something if most were being made to cover the deficit in habitation this country has. As it is, the current constructions have all the markings of money laundering, since most of the new constructions seem to involve towers with apartments catering to a wealthy clique, and we all know how fleeting those kind of gold rushes are (specially since they inflate prices artificially for the benefit of a few). As for the SUV importations, it is just another show that the country is misspending its dollars on luxury goods rather than on importing machinery or other kinds of inputs for its production (agrarian or manufacturies). No country has ever reached developed status spending its gold on luxury goods. Just ask the Portuguese about what the heck they did with all the Brazilian gold and diamonds they received when they owned that country.

Words of wisdom, somebody gets it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
nobody said they are not helping the local economy. at the very least, people get jobs moving them from the wharves, dealer prepping them, and just generally do all the pre sale activities. guys make salesmen's commissions selling them. the owners of dealerships make money over and above what they pay for them. i am aware of all that.

but none of that is considered to be production, in economic terms.

this is a simple definition of production....

Production is a process of combining various material inputs and immaterial inputs (plans, know-how) in order to make something for consumption (the output). It is the act of creating output, a good or service which has value and contributes to the utility of individuals.[1]

I know what production is but I'm not sure why it matters. As you pointed out the import process and subsequent resale and repair of basically the whole automotive industry here creates jobs, income and certain wealth to many people.

Why does it matter where the production cycle starts. It seems to me this is a true win/ win situation without the environmental disaster that usually comes with automotive production.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I know what production is but I'm not sure why it matters. As you pointed out the import process and subsequent resale and repair of basically the whole automotive industry here creates jobs, income and certain wealth to many people.

Why does it matter where the production cycle starts. It seems to me this is a true win/ win situation without the environmental disaster that usually comes with automotive production.

i am not gong to argue this with you. the OP mentioned the word PRODUCTION in his posting, and, when i studied economics at university, production was a process. simple as that. if you can point me to a new definition in some new textbook, i will be ready to peruse it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
When I read the OP's post it said that the Lexus "produced $15 million in sales". I'm still not sure why or how you turned this into production of cars.
Simply put sales produce revenue. It's a basic economical principle.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Simply put sales produce revenue. It's a basic economical principle.
And revenue-total costs=profit, profit builds wealth, and wealth creates capital.

A simple concept that those of us who live in Realville understand perfectly.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
you may think i am wrong if you are like other posters who do not seem to understand the term ''production''.

in economic parlance, production is the name that is applied to the process wherein the material factors of production, such as land, labor, and capital, are combined with the immaterial factors of production, such as technology and design, to realize a finished product intended for an end user. selling of said product is not production. you might want to apply some loose connectivity of the term to activity which takes place after the sale, but that is not production.

let us say that you buy 100 cases of beer from a company, and you sell them at a party. you make a 20,000 peso profit, which you use to pay the rent for the spot, and to pay the help. what have you produced? you might have created temporary employment for some people, but that is not production.

A party with 100 cases of beer - I say they produced one heck of a party, why wasn't I invited ?

But I get your point G.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why is this thread all about beating the hairy chests like gorillas in the jungle? yet again personal stabs instead of sticking to the subject of new cars?

i know quite a few people who buy new cars. my FIL does for himself and his wife, so he buys a new ride roughly every two years. most of the older folks in the family do the same, actually. they have the money, they want to spend it, good for them. seeing some of their kids i totally understand they'd rather blow off the inheritance than leave those parasites every peso.

in any case, i observed that often those brand new cars cost some people less than others would pay for used models. when wealthier dominicans buy new cars, they get good price and often no interest at all if the monies are to be paid within a short period of time. the dealer knows a good client who is likely to come back time and again. whereas poorer folks will get an older car at high interest rate and take ages to pay it off.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Used cars are not necessarily a sign of poverty any more than a new one is a sign of wealth, maybe just debt.

I have only bought two new vehicles in my life - both pickup trucks. I have the money for a nice brand car if I wanted - but I don't mind a scratch or not having a backup camera or the latest shiny object (Heck I'm going to scratch it too).
I understand that some Dominicans want new cars, because frankly most people in DR don't maintain a car and some beat the heck out of them, so a new one gives them peace of mind.

The hard part is finding a good used vehicle in DR. It is really easy to do in the US & Canada, even buying from a personal party.
Here in DR you may need an experienced guide to help you.