USA Tourist Visas 2017: DR 6th in World, 4th in Latin America

What is your impression of the number of Dominicans gettig tourist visas to the USA?

• It’s a lot more than I thought.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • It’s more or less what I originally thought.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • It’s a lot less than I thought.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh... I’m indifferent.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apparently, the US Embassy in Santo Domingo is one of the busiest issuing tourist visas.

Last year was the second consecutive year that the amount of tourist visas granted surpassed 100,000 for Dominicans (if experience from family members, friends, and acquaintances is representative, then its safe to assume the typical tourist visa is for 10 years before it needs to be renewed.) 

For a person to be granted a US tourist visa, they basically have to prove they are at least middle class with strong assets tying them to the country.

Only China, India, Brazil, Argentina, and Colombia surpassed the DR in US tourist visas granted.

Non-immigrant visas to Dominicans surpassed 200,000 in 2017 and over 146,000 in 2016. The DR might be number one in Latin America and probably worldwide too on a per capita basis.

Sign of the changing times in the DR.

https://www.listindiario.com/la-rep...ue-recibio-mas-visas-de-turista-ee-uu-en-2017

Last edited:

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Apparently, the US Embassy in Santo Domingo is one of the busiest issuing tourist visas.

Last year was the second consecutive year that the amount of tourist visas granted surpassed 100,000 for Dominicans (if experience from family members, friends, and acquaintances is representative, then its safe to assume the typical tourist visa is for 10 years before it needs to be renewed.) 

For a person to be granted a US tourist visa, they basically have to prove they are at least middle class with strong assets tying them to the country.

Only China, India, Brazil, Argentina, and Colombia surpassed the DR in US tourist visas granted.

Non-immigrant visas to Dominicans surpassed 200,000 in 2017 and over 146,000 in 2016. The DR might be number one in Latin America and probably worldwide too on a per capita basis.

Sign of the changing times in the DR.

https://www.listindiario.com/la-rep...ue-recibio-mas-visas-de-turista-ee-uu-en-2017

Poor soul........NGOs just trying to empty the eastern portion of the island so Haiti can take over it. It has nothing to do with "strong assets," to prove that; look Colombia as being #5, do you know how much poverty is there in Colombia?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually, the number of tourist, non-immigrant visas issued last year surpassed 320,000, FYI,,,,

It has tripled over the past two years.

Just sayin'

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Poor soul........NGOs just trying to empty the eastern portion of the island so Haiti can take over it. It has nothing to do with "strong assets," to prove that; look Colombia as being #5, do you know how much poverty is there in Colombia?

Do you know how many rich people there are in Colombia?

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I remember Pichardo said that there would be a lot more tourist visas granted. Seems like he was right on this. Some neighbors of my wife got visas approved, however don't seem to make that much. They have land and do a bit of farming.

What is middle class in DR?? 1500 plus a month??

I also thought that with Trump in office there would be less visas granted. That does not seem to be the case.