Im a 54 year old male,who looking into buying a house,and reiring in dr

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
north coast

Near sousa
Near airport,like a hour away
Not sure if i want to live in town or country
Love driving,yes i drove in dr...lol
Coming down in Oct for a month ....will be looking, not serious.....4 more years to i retire just planning a head
If i can find a nice place might buy it down...rent it out

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Do you speak spanish? It may be an important factor as to where you want to situate.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Welcome. Have fun. Never marry (or buy) what you can rent. Several of my Canadian friends have discovered this the expensive way.
Seems to be a Canadian thing.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Melphis

I new here
Trying to learn as much as possible
You said dont buy when you can rent.....could you explain this more

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
joe

No i don't speak Spanish
I do have a couple Dominican friends in dr, and it seems here could get alot of help

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Oh incase your wondering about funny user name
Thomas(Tom) Robert Thompson

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I new here
Trying to learn as much as possible
You said dont buy when you can rent.....could you explain this more

Without getting into to much detail and ticking the mods off it's pretty simple. Find the area you like. Rent the apartment and all the lady friends you can handle without signing any contracts or pledging anything to whatever God you worship.

At the end of your vacation you can then re-evaluate the pros and cons of your experience. You might decide the north coast sucks or it's the best place on earth. If you hated it and bought it (or married it) then your stuck with it.

All I'm saying is take your time. And hide your valuables really good !!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Between auto correct, spell check and all the other new features on tablets, cell phones and PC's it's a wonder we can even communicate with each other.
I have re read some of my posts and anyone else reading them probably wonders what my first language is.
It's english by the way

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I just figured you were typing with a tumbler in each hand. :)

Thomas,

Take things slow. Daily life here when you actually live here, is not everything you imagine it to be.

Don't buy real estate because it's next to impossible to sell in a timely fashion without losing lots of money. Don't marry anybody because it's impossible to get rid of them without losing lots of money. Don't get involved in a business to fill the retirement hours because it's next to impossible to make lots of money. Many here will be your new best friend, for lots of money.

You're not in Kansas anymore, and clicking your heals three times will not solve your problems, but lots of money can.

Come, relax, enjoy the country. Try not to die, go broke, or try to find a Robertson screw.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
joe

No im not Chinese
Family been in Canada think around 1742
Im white,part german,dutch,english, irlish,and what ever else they thru in
Not chinese thou.lol
No offense taken

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thats to all posting and making this a honest site
For like me a Canadain who loves to visit your beautiful country
And hope to retire there

Wonderful, just make sure that you educate yourself on all that is required to own property and live in the DR. Have you looked into what is involved in getting residency? That starts in your home country through a Dominican Consulate. That's the first step. Before you buy anything rent in the area that you think you would enjoy living in. Check out what it is really like living in a developing country. Rent for a few months and see if it is what you expected. Proceed from there. Just remember, "paradise doesn't come without of price."
Good luck and good travels.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Thats to all posting and making this a honest site
For like me a Canadain who loves to visit your beautiful country
And hope to retire there
Welcome to Dr1.
Well you heard all the positives, now I shall be negative (since negative is the opposite to positive).
The DR people are some of the friendliest people in the world.
Some of my best friends are Dominicans.
The only real criminals that tried to con me were Americans and Canadians here in RD.
I find my RD friends to be honest and forthright.
I have lived in Deseronto in the past and back in August 12 1992 my military airpland took off without me (I was late and already in the CACA) It crashed in a farmers field in Napanee.
So I know your home area.
It was good advice for you to rent before buying......
May I suggest Luperon which is one hour from Puerto Plata Airport. Several great expats here from USA, Europe and Canada.
Quite safe here as well.
Would be more than willing to show you around. Have been here for almost 9 years ; off and on.
Married to a Dominicana and enjoy the lifestyle.
I presently live out of Yarmouth N.S. Canada and travel back and forth to RD. I still operate businesses in RD and Canada.
All the previous comments and advise is well worth taking into consideration.
If you want to e mail me i can be contacted at rafe43@live.ca
Russell