Questions about US tourist visa

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Hi!

So here is our situation,

I am Canadian (29yrs old) my GF is 24yrs old, we have a baby together (1year) and have been together for a while.

I would like to visit the USA this summer for 2-3 weeks with them if possible, me and my baby not a problem since we both have our Canadian passport and citizenship (done in DR) but i'm wondering if we have a valid shot for her.

She doesn't have a house/business etc under her name. She does have a bank account with money in it for a while (around 10k usd), credit card with a bit of a cash flow etc but nothing too serious.

Currently she is not working but was studying over the past 2 years, she just had her diploma in the profession she was studying (kitchen/chef's) in one of the good school (A&B Masters) in Santo Domingo and she just started another course. No idea if this help at all, she speaks english, never have been married, jail or anything bad in general, only one children with me, only other country that she visited so far was Colombia with me.

We are not married.

- Is there any chance that she get approves right now for a tourist visa?
- If she is married to me (Canadian) does that help to get a tourist visa to USA or doesnt change anything at all?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hi!

So here is our situation,

I am Canadian (29yrs old) my GF is 24yrs old, we have a baby together (1year) and have been together for a while.

I would like to visit the USA this summer for 2-3 weeks with them if possible, me and my baby not a problem since we both have our Canadian passport and citizenship (done in DR) but i'm wondering if we have a valid shot for her.

She doesn't have a house/business etc under her name. She does have a bank account with money in it for a while (around 10k usd), credit card with a bit of a cash flow etc but nothing too serious.

Currently she is not working but was studying over the past 2 years, she just had her diploma in the profession she was studying (kitchen/chef's) in one of the good school (A&B Masters) in Santo Domingo and she just started another course. No idea if this help at all, she speaks english, never have been married, jail or anything bad in general, only one children with me, only other country that she visited so far was Colombia with me.

We are not married.

- Is there any chance that she get approves right now for a tourist visa?
- If she is married to me (Canadian) does that help to get a tourist visa to USA or doesnt change anything at all?

I've filled out many visa applications and, IMO she doesn't seem like a good candidate for a US visa as her most important ties are abroad (or can be placed abroad), and she doesn't have a job or business. Speaking English doesn't help, as it is irrelevant for a tourist visa.

As for her bank account, having US$10,000 K sounds great, but lately, most applicants are not asked to show their bank statements. For the US you could have $30 K PESOS in the bank and still get the visa. Also, that's a lot of money for someone who doesn't work.

She has a career and that's good for a future application. Why not wait until she has a job to apply?
By the way, do you live here or in Canada?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Reports are that US visitor's visa are easier to get than ever. From your description, I would say your girl friend getting that visa will not be likely. She needs to prove ties that are strong to the DR and what you mentioned is probably not strong enough.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Take a shot at it. Visa's seem to be easy to obtain right now. know house keepers etc that have been approved. no bank accounts, 3 kids, family in Boston and NYC. flew right through the process. It's a crap shoot. hope whoever does the interview either got some or at least did not have a fight with the livein or wife/husband.

Good luck

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Take a shot at it. Visa's seem to be easy to obtain right now. know house keepers etc that have been approved. no bank accounts, 3 kids, family in Boston and NYC. flew right through the process. It's a crap shoot. hope whoever does the interview either got some or at least did not have a fight with the livein or wife/husband.

Good luck

You never know until you try. My wife's cousin, a moto mechanic, applied and received a ten year tourist visa. He is divorced with ex-wife, an American citizen living in NYC. Children all grown up, and one brother living in the USA. Several of these would be considered red flags, but he still got the visa. Why not apply for a Canadian Visa first?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, Professor Hillbilly and I attended a meeting at the Embassy last week. The question of visas came up and they said that the number of applicants has tripled to 300,000 and the refusal rate is actually higher but because of the sheer numbers more DR citizens are getting visas.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Spouse's cousin just got a US visa...student, no real income to speak of, family in NY, etc...I was very surprised. I say try it, you never know. Those you think should be able to obtain one get denied and those you think don't have a chance get approved. Sometimes with Immigration you never know...good luck and as Anna posted be completely prepared and organized.