Puerta Plata Dining

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
Looking for recommendations of a good dining place to eat and drink. Clean, quality food and good environment. In the El Manguito/Urb. Atlantica area. Family of 6. 

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
One of my favorite restaurants is La Locand, in the new plaza on the Luis Ginebra. The steak is great, the salmon also. Their sushi is also really good.

Another of my favorite restaurants is Kilometro Zero, been going there for years and it was always good. (Also on the Luis Ginebra). Especially their schnitzel and their chicken cordon blue.

Mares (behind rillix-gasstation) is the best restaurant in pop, but more expensive than the others.

Also if you like meat: IL Gardino is a good place (bitt further up to road from the main office from claro, in the same street as the small Jose Luis).

Tacita de plata (next to the chocolate factory) is also good for seafood. We ordered steak there once, but that was really bad.

If you want to drive to Playa Dorada: Green Jack, the restaurant from Blue Jacktar is also really good and not so expensive, you can just drive up there and go eat.
Also the restaurant of Casa Colonial is really good, but a bit more expensive and I think you have to make a reservation.

The restaurant in front of the post office (I always forget the name) is also pretty good.

Some people like Las Tarappas, Las Palmas or Bergantin, but I didn't like the food there.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One of my favorite restaurants is La Locand, in the new plaza on the Luis Ginebra. The steak is great, the salmon also. Their sushi is also really good.

Another of my favorite restaurants is Kilometro Zero, been going there for years and it was always good. (Also on the Luis Ginebra). Especially their schnitzel and their chicken cordon blue.

Mares (behind rillix-gasstation) is the best restaurant in pop, but more expensive than the others.

Also if you like meat: IL Gardino is a good place (bitt further up to road from the main office from claro, in the same street as the small Jose Luis).

Tacita de plata (next to the chocolate factory) is also good for seafood. We ordered steak there once, but that was really bad.

If you want to drive to Playa Dorada: Green Jack, the restaurant from Blue Jacktar is also really good and not so expensive, you can just drive up there and go eat.
Also the restaurant of Casa Colonial is really good, but a bit more expensive and I think you have to make a reservation.

The restaurant in front of the post office (I always forget the name) is also pretty good.

Some people like Las Tarappas, Las Palmas or Bergantin, but I didn't like the food there.

the restaurant in front of the post office is Skina..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is really no consistency when it comes to food in PP, maybe apart from places that are consistently bad. for instance i do not like la locanda, their service is extremely slow, the food is not good and desserts are very bad.

most places are hit and miss. bergantin, la tarappa - i had both good and bad visits. bergantin fell out of my to-go places because their desserts suck (see a pattern here?). la tarappa's saving grace is a decent pizza but they are very slow and other dishes are nothing to write home about.

kilometro zero has okish food and good tiramisu.
sebastian (also on luis ginebra) has good food but their tiramisu was half frozen.
kaffe (on juan bosch) is a beautiful place but the food is just ok and the desserts are not tasty at all. right next door to them there is a cheap venezuelan arepe place i really like but it's basically street food.

the chocolate factory on the main square is simply bad, the pizza is bad and the desserts are even worse.
village restaurant opposite metro is decent but strangely i never had a dessert there.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Skini atmosphere is nice and food pretty good. But they made parking in front problematic with the darn posts they are placing all over POP. Last time I was there we had to park around the corner on a dark street.
Two Dominicans, one rather tall that looked to be a transvestite, approached us and seemed to have some bad intentions till an old lady next to where I parked came out and started yelling at them - she apparently knew them. They turned and decided against coming closer.

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
Thanks guys for the reply. When we were in Punta Cana we ate at a Mexican place that was unbelievable. Was hoping for something along these lines. Sounds to me that POP is not the best place to eat. Pollo asada is another favorite for us. No Pollo Asada places?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks guys for the reply. When we were in Punta Cana we ate at a Mexican place that was unbelievable. Was hoping for something along these lines. Sounds to me that POP is not the best place to eat. Pollo asada is another favorite for us. No Pollo Asada places?

ask a motoconcho to point you to Albert Pollo...if you take 27 Febrero toward the clinica, and you turn left at the light, it will be on the left, just before the chinese restaurant. best roast chicken in POP.

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
ask a motoconcho to point you to Albert Pollo...if you take 27 Febrero toward the clinica, and you turn left at the light, it will be on the left, just before the chinese restaurant. best roast chicken in POP.
Will do. Beer and Roast Chicken. Thank you

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015

Agreed...Playa Dorada: Green Jack...very good food and service....pleasant ambiance....Saturday night live music....beach next door....

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
Aguaceros on the Malecon has always been great (consistently the best fajitas I've ever had in Puerto Plata) ... been going there for about 10 years and never had a bad meal (well over 10 meals there)... I haven't been in a couple years ... I'm craving their fajitas now!

I remember after 1 meal, we crowded around a little TV watching the Aguilas play (the 3 of us and the kitchen staff haha) ... they've done a lot of renovations since those days.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Aguaceros on the Malecon has always been great (consistently the best fajitas I've ever had in Puerto Plata) ... been going there for about 10 years and never had a bad meal (well over 10 meals there)... I haven't been in a couple years ... I'm craving their fajitas now!

I remember after 1 meal, we crowded around a little TV watching the Aguilas play (the 3 of us and the kitchen staff haha) ... they've done a lot of renovations since those days.

want an even better fajita? try SKINA, across from the post office. and the ambience is just wonderful

torrock

Jun 5, 2006
want an even better fajita? try SKINA, across from the post office. and the ambience is just wonderful

Awesome, thanks ... just found the location on Google ... definitely going to check it out in a few weeks!
Morua Mai in Sosua always had great fajitas too.

I love whole, grilled fish (most of my favourite places are either gone, aren't as good anymore, new owners, etc) ... any recommendations for that?

torrock

Jun 5, 2006

Looking at the pics of Skina online, it reminds me of a place I stopped in for a beer many years ago.
I was staying at the RIU resorts and took a guagua into the city for the first (or 2nd) time ... I had no idea where I was going and got totally lost ... all I remember is a place that looked like Skina ... a big cemetery ... then getting to the main road and seeing a few RIU staff members standing on the corner ... I got a ride back on the staff bus! hahaha (gave the driver a few $ tip when I got off)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Looking at the pics of Skina online, it reminds me of a place I stopped in for a beer many years ago.
I was staying at the RIU resorts and took a guagua into the city for the first (or 2nd) time ... I had no idea where I was going and got totally lost ... all I remember is a place that looked like Skina ... a big cemetery ... then getting to the main road and seeing a few RIU staff members standing on the corner ... I got a ride back on the staff bus! hahaha (gave the driver a few $ tip when I got off)

actually, it is an outdoor spot, under the trees. fantastic music, great ambience, nice owners. it is one of the spots where the POP upper crust congregate, so it is very civilized. and the food is very good. service a tad slow, but when you are under the moonlight, in the tropics, who's rushing?

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Today I went to paradise grill, a new restaurant (opened last week). If you drive on the Luis ginebra from Palacio de justicia towards the centre, you pass the Chinese restaurant, then kilometro zero, furgon and then you take the next street on the right (there is a small banca on the corner).
Beautiful new building and the food is good. Expecially the appetizers (I had tuna tartare and it was great).
Prices look a bit high on the menu, but that is because the taxes are already included, so it is the same as the other restaurants.