City Under Siege

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
What's going on in SD? Cops in Black Uniforms With Rifles Everywhere.

It looks like Natzi Germany...What's up with this?

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
The same could be said about NYC, heavy police presence everywhere... Of course, nobody says NYC is under siege!! Neither is Paris, London and Berlin, where you could also regularly see cops with assault rifles thanks to all the terror attacks.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

More police have been mobilized to work through Semana Santa, but the cops in black that your refer to are probably DNCD (La Direccion Nacional de Control de Drogas) who have been more visible in recent months in the capital and elsewhere. They often are seen riding around on a few motorcycles in convoy two up with automatic weapons especially near barrios known for trouble. I've seen them a lot recently on Av Independencia, Nunez and even Bella Vista. I also saw them in Bani and Barahona last week on travels.

PN are out there this past week and now at most shopping malls providing extra security and soldiers can be seen assisting with more frequent checkpoints on the roads alongside AMET and PN.

No issue for us. I was touring extensively out west nearer the Haitian border last week and despite many road blocks in those parts had no issues and was always waved through with a smile.

........I suspect that some North Coast gringos have conditioned the PN there to expect being given a propina lol.

potus

Dec 27, 2015

Natzi Germany>>>What is this? If you feel the need to bring up a nations darkest hour so leisurely, at least do it properly.....Thank you.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Doesn't DCND work on intel/tips?

Maybe they knew something.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"City under Siege"? What a rubbish.

When there is no police, people complain. Now there is police and the town is "under siege"? Laughable...

potus

Dec 27, 2015
"City under Siege"? What a rubbish.

When there is no police, people complain. Now there is police and the town is "under siege"? Laughable...

All around not the smartest post I have ever seen here.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Police presence has been a bit more present but being Semana Santa it is not surprising. Living in Santo Domingo you will see this from time to time. More police presence for a bit and then not so much. Goes in cycles.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The same could be said about NYC, heavy police presence everywhere... Of course, nobody says NYC is under siege!! Neither is Paris, London and Berlin, where you could also regularly see cops with assault rifles thanks to all the terror attacks.

I would disagree about Paris, London and Berlin being under siege. I do not however feel that S.D. is "under siege". They have more police and even military in the streets in an effort to combat violent crime.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
I would disagree about Paris, London and Berlin being under siege. I do not however feel that S.D. is "under siege". They have more police and even military in the streets in an effort to combat violent crime.

That's exactly my point!!! Im not saying that Paris, London and Berlin are under siege, what im trying to say is that those cities also have cops with rifles patrolling public places due to recent terrorist attacks and you don't see nobody saying they are under siege.

You obviously misinterpreted what i said.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I drove through the Nov 6 expressway toll booth a few times over the weekend.

I got a big kick out watching police with a radar gun about 200 ft from the toll booth pulling people over.