Puerto Plata - Suicide Prevention

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I'm out of my depth, but there's a suicidal young woman in the barrio. She definitely has a mood disorder or possibly a personality disorder as she can be plowing dirt one moment, and streaking across the stratosphere the next. On her hard crashes, she's suicidal and has attempted it twice now.

Any ideas on a therapist? Or, maybe even a psychiatrist?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
There is a psychiatrist at Centro Medico Bournigal, Dr. Judith Morrebel. Perhaps you could take to see her or to emergency asking for a consultation with her.. or a priest?

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
It sounds like bipolar maybe the problem in which case it can be stabilized with the right medication Dr. Judith Morrebel helped a friend of mine...

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If the person lives in the barrio and cannot afford Bournigal, I was introduced to a psychiatrist who works at Cento Sanitario (Public Health Building). I was there to pick up written permission for a dental clinic and her office was next to the office of the dentist in charge for Salud Pública.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The vecinos have her on a suicide watch. It's really a tight knit community. They are definitely poor in material things, but rich in spirit.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
She probably has a very serious Chemical imbalance, and needs MEDS which she probably can not not afford ...
I doubt a Psychiatrist is going to help her much in the long run , unless Some tragic event happened in her life recently and she just needs someone to talk to ...to work it out.
People who need Meds , need those Meds and fast ... not a therapist ...

just saying.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
She probably has a very serious Chemical imbalance, and needs MEDS which she probably can not not afford ...
I doubt a Psychiatrist is going to help her much in the long run , unless Some tragic event happened in her life recently and she just needs someone to talk to ...to work it out.
People who need Meds , need those Meds and fast ... not a therapist ...

just saying.

Most people that are bi-polar have a chemical imbalance and the medication is very likely available in the government pharmacies for next to nothing. Many people that are bi-polar stop taking their meds once they start to feel better. I have a niece that has been bipolar since her late teens and is now in her mid thirties and still needs her meds.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
She cycles too fast for bipolar (usually measured in months), so I guessing Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) (measured in days, hours, minutes) and wonderfully impulsive which isn't good when it comes to suicide.

Unfortunately, personality disorders are mostly immune to meds. We're trying some mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics on low doses to see what she tolerates and works. IMHO, psychiatry is equals parts of educated guesswork and intuitive witchcraft.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Lithium would be a good starting point. Mixed state mania/depression is a b!tch. If that is what she is experiencing. 

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Lithium would be a good starting point. Mixed state mania/depression is a b!tch. If that is what she is experiencing. 

I've never heard of mixed state... more reading...

Tried Lithium. She seems to share dislike for medications like most people with bipolar. Moved on to another mood stabilizer...

btw, I thought a psychiatrist prescribes meds. I wasn't looking for the talking cure thing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
only a doctor can suggest a therapy that works but most of those meds would carry a hefty price tag. only a few are sold in farmacias del pueblo: carbamazepina, haloperidol, risperidona, fluoxetina.