Hi from Toronto

pmcd

Apr 7, 2018
A bit chilly, but nice, up here. Not quite palm tree weather! Really like the Samana region of the country. Would love to spend two months each winter ( am retired) but it seems that 30 days is the max and extensions are now complicated?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
A bit chilly, but nice, up here. Not quite palm tree weather! Really like the Samana region of the country. Would love to spend two months each winter ( am retired) but it seems that 30 days is the max and extensions are now complicated?

Greetings. IDK why DR does not do a 60 and or a 90 day tourist card. They could charge more for the longer stays. Lots of folks here know about the over stay issues, so you found the right place.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Come on down. You can still just pay the overstay fee when you leave. Don't let the commotion keep you from enjoying what this country has to offer (especially when your alternative is being snowed in).

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Welcome fellow Canadian. I stayed in several areas before I settled on the Playa Dorada/Puerta Plata area. Samana is nice but to me it’s a bit remote, and a bit overpriced due to the European influences in the area. Where I stay during the winter I have easy access to the two major cities, more frequent flight options, and a multitude of towns and beaches (both remote and popular) to choose from. Come down, stay in different areas and then decide. Don’t get swept up in the place and buy real estate until your absolutely sure you want to go that route. Rent first, learn the language, soak up the culture, and then decide what the future hold for you in this diverse country. You have the option of paying for an extended visa when you arrive. I do it and I have friends who stay for two to six months and pay the extended visa fees when they first arrive at the airport. It’s not that expensive.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Welcome to DR1 pmcd,

Hope springs eternal that someday there will be an easy option for people who wish to visit this country for longer than 30 days. I'd suggest you contact the DR Consulate in Toronto or Ottawa and inquire about a 60 day tourist visa. Maybe that will meet your needs. There is supposed to be such a visa available.

We can all agree that overstaying the 30 day tourist card handed out by the airlines puts one in a "special" situation. For most, pay a little bit of money when you leave and that's it. For others, though, it didn't work out quite that well. There are those that don't mind spending their time drinking and swimming with a dubious immigration status and others who are not all that comfortable doing that. You'll have to decide for yourself if being here beyond beyond 30 days without an extended visa is something you are prepared to do.

There are lots of other places you can go that have palm trees and no snow without having to wonder whether you might encounter immigration issues for half your intended stay.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Don't really think it is a big hassle to overstay another 30 days and pay the fee on the way out. When you arrive, simply tell DR Immigration that you are here for 1 MONTH. You will have no problems. This beats North America in January and Feb. Good luck and good travels.