Tourist Visa/Citizen

Status
Not open for further replies.

edjc

Mar 20, 2018
Hello all!

I have a question, that Google does not seem to help me with (lol!) and I would like to know this before heading to the Dominican Republic or at least some info for the best place to contact!

So I will be going in about 3 months, I will be getting my dual citizenship through Dominican born parents. I have decided to do the process over there rather than in the US. My question is, if I enter the country with a tourist visa and decide to stay for a while - when I leave will I get charged the overstay fee? Do I need to report it somewhere once I receive dual citizenship?

Thanks so much in advance!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You will be charged an overstay fee if you are not a legal resident or a citizen. Once you are a citizen, you won't have to worry about it at all.

edjc

Mar 20, 2018
Thanks windeguy! But do you think I need to let someone know of my status change? I just don't want to leave the country and get charged the fees because I entered as a tourist.

Thanks so much again for your reply! :)

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Thanks windeguy! But do you think I need to let someone know of my status change? I just don't want to leave the country and get charged the fees because I entered as a tourist.

Yes, you will be charge if you do not have you Dominican papers by the time you leave Dominican Republic. At least if you get done the transcription of your birth certificate that can realease you to pay the charges.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As others have said, by the time you are ready to leave, you will need to have some DR documentation detailing that you are not a tourist or you will have to pay like all the other visitors to the island who remain longer than 30 days.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

If you have your cedula as a DR citizen and you have a DR passport (as well as the one you entered with) , there should not be any charge as you leave. I suspect the DR citizens cedula will be sufficient to not incur the exit fee charge.

edjc

Mar 20, 2018
Thanks riva_31 and cdn_gringo! But do I need to go to any government building or contact someone about my status change? When I do decide to leave, or just showing my cedula at the airport fine enough?

Thanks!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Thanks riva_31 and cdn_gringo! But do I need to go to any government building or contact someone about my status change? When I do decide to leave, or just showing my cedula at the airport fine enough?

Thanks!

No needs to go goverment office, you just show your Cedula or passport and that will be good.

Jan 7, 2016
This from Guzman Ariza by email this morning:

Tourist cards for foreigners visiting the Dominican Republic will be billed with airline tickets
The Internal Revenue Service in the Dominican Republic announced that, as of April 25, 2018, airline tickets sold for flights to the Dominican Republic will include the tourist card charge.

The airlines are obliged to apply the amount corresponding to the tourism card on tickets to the Dominican Republic, with the only exceptions: (a) tickets sold in the Dominican Republic; and (b) Airline tickets purchased by in transit passengers.

Tax Agency General Norm 08-2018 also establishes the terms and conditions to request a refund at DGII designated offices and online at the DGII website if the request is placed within the 30 days of the issuing of the paid ticket.

If you request more information, please do not hesitate to contact Fabio Guzmán Saladín, fabio@drlawyer.com and Melisa Alcántara, malcantara@drlawyer.com, or telephone +1.809.255.0980. You can also visit our website http://www.drlawyer.com.

edjc

Mar 20, 2018
This from Guzman Ariza by email this morning:

Tourist cards for foreigners visiting the Dominican Republic will be billed with airline tickets
The Internal Revenue Service in the Dominican Republic announced that, as of April 25, 2018, airline tickets sold for flights to the Dominican Republic will include the tourist card charge.

The airlines are obliged to apply the amount corresponding to the tourism card on tickets to the Dominican Republic, with the only exceptions: (a) tickets sold in the Dominican Republic; and (b) Airline tickets purchased by in transit passengers.

Tax Agency General Norm 08-2018 also establishes the terms and conditions to request a refund at DGII designated offices and online at the DGII website if the request is placed within the 30 days of the issuing of the paid ticket.

If you request more information, please do not hesitate to contact Fabio Guzmán Saladín, fabio@drlawyer.com and Melisa Alcántara, malcantara@drlawyer.com, or telephone +1.809.255.0980. You can also visit our website http://www.drlawyer.com.

Wow, thank you so much Tashi Siu's Dad! I actually wanted to buy my ticket soon but I will wait until after that date!

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I entered as a Tourist yesterday.
Through Puerto Plata.
I was finger print recorded.
They had a long list of people who overstayed... and checked my name against the list.
I was not on it, even though I was 9 days overstay last time.
Then was told to have a good stay.
Everyone on the plane was finger recorded...took a long while to clear immigration.

So that is the new routine in POP.
Russell

edjc

Mar 20, 2018
Through Puerto Plata.
They had a long list of people who overstayed... and checked my name against the list.
Everyone on the plane was finger recorded...took a long while to clear immigration.

Russell

STI has been fingerprinting for a while, I have never overstayed on my own planned trips. I will be getting my cédula in my next trip to be able to stay longer!

Have a great stay!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Through Puerto Plata.

Russell

Did the immigration officers tell you that was what they were doing, or someone else?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Through Puerto Plata.

Russell

Finger printing has been going on for quite some time in both SDQ and STI. No big deal except it DOES slow down the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.