DRIVERS LICENSE PROCESS IN DOM REP??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting a dual citizenship and will have a cedula some time this year.

What's the process to obtain a drivers license in DR?

Is there s written and driving test?

Anyone care to shed some light here, much appreciated!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's easy. First you pay at Ban Reservas (can't remember how much). You also need a Certificate of Good Conduct. Take them with your cedula to the local test centre and they give you a booklet which tells you the "rules" of the road. You get an appointment and then you do a "theory" test which is multiple choice on a computer (in Spanish, of course). The answers are pretty obvious, especially if you have had a look at the booklet. They also give you an eye test. After, I think, four weeks you go back and do a practical test which, in my case involved driving once around the Puerto Plata baseball stadium in a little car they provided. It was automatic, and I wanted to be allowed to drive a manual, so I told them so and my licence duly stated that I could drive all types.

There are a couple of examples of the theory test on YouTube, to give you an idea.

I did this three years ago, but I doubt it has changed much.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Let me know if you are a Canadian as there is another process. If you are, I will explain how we did it if they still allow this.

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
It's easy. First you pay at Ban Reservas (can't remember how much). You also need a Certificate of Good Conduct. Take them with your cedula to the local test centre and they give you a booklet which tells you the "rules" of the road. You get an appointment and then you do a "theory" test which is multiple choice on a computer (in Spanish, of course). The answers are pretty obvious, especially if you have had a look at the booklet. They also give you an eye test. After, I think, four weeks you go back and do a practical test which, in my case involved driving once around the Puerto Plata baseball stadium in a little car they provided. It was automatic, and I wanted to be allowed to drive a manual, so I told them so and my licence duly stated that I could drive all types.

There are a couple of examples of the theory test on YouTube, to give you an idea.

I did this three years ago, but I doubt it has changed much.

Thank you for this great reply!

last question, the eye test..... I have a little bit of an issue with my right eye.

Is the "eye test" using both eyes on a chart OR one eye at a time?

Any info here would be really helpful.

Thanks again!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Where do you get the certificate of good conduct from?

At the Tiradentes test centre, you present your cedula and wait for the certificate, before moving onto blood type and vision test, then video presentation of the road rules as booklet and then theory test.

All being well including paying at the onsite Banreserva, you can get your temporary license within 3 hours, the same day.

My recollection was that the vision test was a simple test to read a letter board at distance.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thank you for this great reply!

last question, the eye test..... I have a little bit of an issue with my right eye.

Is the "eye test" using both eyes on a chart OR one eye at a time?

Any info here would be really helpful.

Thanks again!

Both ways.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Go in early and memorize the chart...

Soldiers did that in WWII to beat the color blind testing....

check out the chart... google it and memorize it

billma90

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
if that is the case, and can't pass an eye test it would be safer for everyone just not to drive. Or am i missing something here?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just give 500 pesos to the examiner. This is the DR...................

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just give 500 pesos to the examiner. This is the DR...................

When I go, I act like I've known the examiner for years and it's great to see them again. By the time we get done shaking hands, pleasantries, commenting on the latest scandals and such they just stamp the thing and I'm on my way.

Knowing the lingo has it's advantages.

mekkizm

Jun 1, 2004
My right eye is really messed up.... I won't cheat and may have to let me brother drive me around for now.

womp womp.....

Status
Not open for further replies.