What's going-on with CEPM?

Jan 7, 2016
We have had 3 area-wide power outages in the past week, the latest being this a.m. Now we have had 2 this morning alone! I'm running on battery at 8:30 am on a Saturday. Sucks!

Used to be, CEPM was fairly reliable and we didn't have but neighborhood outages on occasion. Is it because of all the new development? Lack of generation capacity? What happens when they finally open-up all these new AIs under construction now and starting sucking-up the electricity?

I know they claim they are increasing generation capacity and adding a solar farm, but will it be enough to satisfy the masses?

I think we might be in for a very rough ride. :confused:

10:10, now power back on...who knows for how long?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Count your blessings

These short power outages usually are not because of breakdowns, averias. They are routine changeovers of generators, to take one offline for a quick maintenance matter. A backup generator provides power until the maintenance is performed and then the original is brought back online. The reason why it may seem to take so long, 20 minutes, is because once the unit is online, each distribution zone is loaded in a sequence so not to create a disruptive power surge. These events will be happening more often because of explosive development in the tourist area is creating more power demand and wear on equipment. However, CEPM is adding additional generation capacity which will reduce the apagons.

Count your blessings that we have CEPM as a power source. If you live or work in other parts of the country under the government cloud of power distribution the apagons are long and continual.

Regards,

PJT

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
These short power outages usually are not because of breakdowns, averias. They are routine changeovers of generators, to take one offline for a quick maintenance matter. A backup generator provides power until the maintenance is performed and then the original is brought back online. The reason why it may seem to take so long, 20 minutes, is because once the unit is online, each distribution zone is loaded in a sequence so not to create a disruptive power surge. These events will be happening more often because of explosive development in the tourist area is creating more power demand and wear on equipment. However, CEPM is adding additional generation capacity which will reduce the apagons.

Count your blessings that we have CEPM as a power source. If you live or work in other parts of the country under the government cloud of power distribution the apagons are long and continual.

Regards,

PJT

Thank you for this clear explanation...looks like you work there :classic:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Here's what they posted on their fb page earlier:

En la madrugada de este sábado experimentamos un disparo en nuestra línea de transmisión, presentando como resultado
intermitencias del servicio en algunos sectores. Nuestro equipo trabaja sin descanso para resolver el incidente a la mayor brevedad posible. Pedimos disculpas por los inconvenientes causados.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
No, do not work there. But, been around long enough to know their routines.

Regards,

PJT

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014

Regards,

PJT

True .  We have been spoiled by CEPM   - we expect expect nothing less than 24 hours of uninterrupted service, paperless billing , weekly energy usage reports via email , online bill payments from anywhere in the world and top notch service - they are “one of the best ( three ) electric service providers in Latin America” after all. 

...in return pay a lot more for our electricity ...Expensive , but worth it , methinks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
13.95/kWh is what I pay

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Correct!
Doesn't matter if it's 1 kWh or 100,000kWh.

True .  We have been spoiled by CEPM   - we expect expect nothing less than 24 hours of uninterrupted service, paperless billing , weekly energy usage reports via email , online bill payments from anywhere in the world and top notch service - they are “one of the best ( three ) electric service providers in Latin America” after all. 

...in return pay a lot more for our electricity ...Expensive , but worth it , methinks.

What are the rates with CEPM?

If one were to use 701 kWh with and EDE such as Edenorte, then your rate would be 10.86 RD/kWh. CEPM at 13.95 is 28% higher for those in that situation. (Under 700 kWH, there is a graduated scale from 4.44 RD to 10.86 for the EDE's, so there is an even higher percentage difference. )

Good luck LT with staying out of the dark very soon.

Jan 7, 2016
I live 50/50 here in Punta Cana and near Nashville, TN, USA. We have a municipal power company there that is a subsidiary of Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA--- Think Hiroshima and Nagasaki). The rates here are actually much more reasonable than in the U.S. I feel very fortunate, but the only draw-back are the more frequent power outages.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I live 50/50 here in Punta Cana and near Nashville, TN, USA. We have a municipal power company there that is a subsidiary of Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA--- Think Hiroshima and Nagasaki). The rates here are actually much more reasonable than in the U.S. I feel very fortunate, but the only draw-back are the more frequent power outages.

Being European, I have to agree, even with the highest Edenorte rate (yes, it's less than this CEPM rate, but still), it still does not compare to what we'd pay for electricity back in Europe (depends on the country of course).

Here in the DR the only big consumer we have are two A/Cs which are not running constantly, but in EU, we'd have the stove and heating (in the worst case scenario, there are of course other heating options available as well). I personally even prefer gas stove over an electric one, and my wife uses the oven sometimes even on a daily basis, yet with gas it's not expensive at all.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am on the 24/7 circuit in San Cris, and we receive 5-6 hours blackouts on a daily basis.