Uber from STI to Sosua

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Anyone have luck using Uber to go from Santiago Airport to Sosua/Cab? And back. Is it available there yet?

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Yes from JBQ when i returned from Haitai. Taxi's weren't happy (I gave them a chance first, after they saw me making the reservation the leader came back with a discount but was UBER was still like 50% cheaper). Took maybe 5 minutes to get to me, nice guy.  Also used them from STI when my plane was cancelled due to the hurricane.  

singletravel

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Yes from JBQ when i returned from Haitai. Taxi's weren't happy (I gave them a chance first, after they saw me making the reservation the leader came back with a discount but was UBER was still like 50% cheaper). Took maybe 5 minutes to get to me, nice guy.  Also used them from STI when my plane was cancelled due to the hurricane.  

singletravel

I used to squeeze the taxis with Uber prices in SD all the time. Screw em for trying to charge me 3x the regular rate.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At the time of this posting, the app is quoting a price between $RD 1530 - 2089 Downtown to downtown.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
At the time of this posting, the app is quoting a price between $RD 1530 - 2089 Downtown to downtown.

I saw that on the quote site. Doesn't seem right, to be honest. Gas alone will cost RD$2000 round trip from STI to Sosua. I've done that trip many times.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I took Uber yesterday from the Santiago airport to Sosua and it worked great!

As I came off the plane I was able to connect with the free WiFi at the airport. I sent the Uber request just before I reached the immigration counters.  The Uber driver was waiting for me curbside as I came out of the terminal (only a carryon bag -so no delay at baggage claim). 

The car was a newer Hyundai Sonata 4 door sedan. Clean, comfortable and air conditioned. 
According to my emailed receipt, I was picked up at 2:03pm and dropped off in El Batey Sosua at 3:34pm.
Total trip time 1:31. Distance: 78.26 km, cost: 2,154 DR pesos (charged to the CC linked to my Uber account).

FYI, we took the “Moca route” (route 21 to Sabaneta).  The new bridge at Jamao had both lanes open although there is still finishing work to be done (and a small crew was working.....on a Sunday afternoon!).  

So if your budget is tight, taking the bus (Metro or Caribe tours) is still the best option. But for convenience (and time savings) IMHO, UBEr is now the way to go. And the price beats the $100+ US that the airport taxis try and charge by more than half!  

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I took Uber yesterday from the Santiago airport to Sosua and it worked great!

As I came off the plane I was able to connect with the free WiFi at the airport. I sent the Uber request just before I reached the immigration counters.  The Uber driver was waiting for me curbside as I came out of the terminal (only a carryon bag -so no delay at baggage claim). 

The car was a newer Hyundai Sonata 4 door sedan. Clean, comfortable and air conditioned. 
According to my emailed receipt, I was picked up at 2:03pm and dropped off in El Batey Sosua at 3:34pm.
Total trip time 1:31. Distance: 78.26 km, cost: 2,154 DR pesos (charged to the CC linked to my Uber account).

FYI, we took the “Moca route” (route 21 to Sabaneta).  The new bridge at Jamao had both lanes open although there is still finishing work to be done (and a small crew was working.....on a Sunday afternoon!).  

So if your budget is tight, taking the bus (Metro or Caribe tours) is still the best option. But for convenience (and time savings) IMHO, UBEr is now the way to go. And the price beats the $100+ US that the airport taxis try and charge by more than half!  

That's a fantastic rate. I'm surprised the Uber drivers aren't having a problem the the airport taxi guys. Uber will put them out of busines soon.

Your driver must have been flying. I've done that route from STI many times and the best I ever did was 1:25 - and that is to the east side of Cabarete about 3km.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
I've also used it a bunch of times from STI to Cabarete. Super easy, cheap and much less hassle than dealing with the taxi drivers. I tipped my Uber driver 500 pesos in cash, the 2,100 peso base fare barely covered his fuel. 

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I've also used it a bunch of times from STI to Cabarete. Super easy, cheap and much less hassle than dealing with the taxi drivers. I tipped my Uber driver 500 pesos in cash, the 2,100 peso base fare barely covered his fuel. 

So the question begs , why would anyone in their right mind continue to do this , when the fare barely covers the Fuel Cost ?
now factor in the Uber Fee, which I think is 20% right off the top ?

not knocking Uber ..at all
but why would a guy take a fare just to break even .? that makes absolutely no sense . for the long run.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
And then factor in the additional expenses you have due to maintenance, depreciation, repairs, tires, etc. associatied with all the miles you're putting on your car. Sounds like you're actually losing money(?).

Apreton

Sep 26, 2004

singletravel

Is there WiFi in STI? I normally go to Sosua from Santo Domingo but this Uber price is hard to beat considering time spent and taxi fare to the bus terminal.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Yes, free WiFi at STI. 

I believe there is a TIME LIMIT though... not sure what it is ..

I thought it was something like 2 hours ,, but someone tells me its longer ..
there is a thread from 2015 on here .. also about wifi at STI specifically ..

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
One of my frinds worked for uber in Santiago and he said he was lousing money and went back to driving the A rout car.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Sti is 3 hours I believe, and always works for me but I have had 2 friends recently who reported the wifi was down.