Sosúa Lawyer: Yanilda de la Cruz

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi
I am considering using this lawyer

Has anyone used her before?
Does she complete property transfers of title CORRECTLY?

Have you found her to be honest?
Only respond VIA PM if you have used her services. Thanks in advance

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi

Take the advice of Harleystock and use a trusted lawyer otherwise you will be back posting how you were swindled out of your money. If you know nothing about the lawyer you are considering than consider what others tell you. The other attorneys I would consider are from the Guzman firm. Look it up on-line.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Guido Perdomo or Julio Brea at Guzman in Sosua are both great. Others???????

Bob K

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Maria Elena Gratereaux in Cabarete is a fantastic lawyer and specializes in property transactions.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I second Julio Brea at Guzman. Guzman Ariza is one of the oldest and largest law firms here with offices all over the country. You can't go wrong here.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The stories of real estate purchases that have not worked out as expected are copious. The purchaser needs to be completely sure that spending a big chunk of coin is going to get them exactly what they expect it will. If a problem presents itself after the parties have been paid, in this country, it can takes years (if ever) to sort out. It is not worth risking a hundred thousand plus dollars and skimping on a few thousand for a lawyer instead of a prestigious law firm with an national and international presence.

If the transaction goes bad, you want big guns not a squirt gun.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Hi

In general, one should choose attorneys very carefully........especially anything regarding property transfer.....all is so disorganized here regarding title. If however you have a large enough property, that a US Title insurance would be obtainable, that would be the way to go.

A friend of mine just was sued years after the purchase, because someone claimed to own a piece of land within his land (pure extorsion). Case was in court for years...........Buying property here can be scary.......Another case, my lawyer just told me about a house someone bough that had a Divorce judgement against it (Division de Los Bienes).....Now the husband is suing him for the 50%.......all nutty. Just do your homework and never act hasty.

BTW, years ago have I seen Steward Title offereing business here......Top Title Insurance there is.......I do not know if they still do business here.......also I met with a Rep. once, she was very educated on the subject and was bi lingual.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
and she's not answering me
FWIW, she's now the 4th lawyer that I've heard of that owe other expats money that they have had no success in getting returned. Lawyers here do not like to sue other lawyers and there's no real equivalent of the Bar Association here. I wish you luck.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
FWIW, she's now the 4th lawyer that I've heard of that owe other expats money that they have had no success in getting returned. Lawyers here do not like to sue other lawyers and there's no real equivalent of the Bar Association here. I wish you luck.
A bit off topic, but what is the best way to get paid if you are selling a property if you can't trust a lawyer? The payment and legal transfer really has to be done simultaneously.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
PLEASE take the advise from all the other prior posts on your Topic.
STAY WITH GUZMAN. For you it might be hard to believe but all the negative coments about other lawyers
are an understatement !!! 99% of the DR Lawyers are Criminals or stupid or both !!!

Reactions: XTraveller

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A bit off topic, but what is the best way to get paid if you are selling a property if you can't trust a lawyer? The payment and legal transfer really has to be done simultaneously.
The buyer can wire the money directly to you before you sign over the title, but would a buyer do that without an attorney?