Dominican Nationality Through Descent

Apr 16, 2018
Article 18, Section 6 of the Dominican constitution extends nationality to "the direct descendants of Dominicans residing abroad", so, how would I, the grandson of Dominicans (through my mother) go about claiming Dominican nationality? My mother and I were both born in NYC and both only hold U.S. nationality. My grandparents, however, are dual citizens of both the U.S. and the Dominican Republic.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Article 18, Section 6 of the Dominican constitution extends nationality to "the direct descendants of Dominicans residing abroad", so, how would I, the grandson of Dominicans (through my mother) go about claiming Dominican nationality? My mother and I were both born in NYC and both only hold U.S. nationality. My grandparents, however, are dual citizens of both the U.S. and the Dominican Republic.

I think first of all your mother would have to get Dominican citizenship. I would ask at the embassy.

Apr 16, 2018
That's the thing though. I don't she is required at all in the equation except needing her birth certificate to prove I am descended from a Dominican. There is a whole separate section about children of Dominicans, and if she had gotten Dominican nationality, I would get Dominican nationality from that other section of Article 18, extending Dominican nationality to children of Dominicans. That is why I was confused on their wording. I presume I would just need my birth certificate, hers, my grandfather's and possibly also his cedula.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Still... talk to the Embassy.

Other countries allow what you are talking about...
going back only as far as grandparents.... UK for example.

You prove birth and marriage through the family to establish the direct connection.

Only the Embassy can truly clarify it for you -- say I.......