And if so where do I find it. I need to be close a lo mio

Thank you,
Eljayiano

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Quite a few Dominicans in Toronto.....

Not sure exactly where they hang out tho' but I have heard of a bar/restaurant that they frequent.
Maybe someone from Toronto will be able to give you the name.....

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I know that there is a restaurant in Toronto called, "The Friendly Dominican Restaurant". It's really good. I can't recall where it is located though

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
In Montreal, we have a restaurant called Sosua on St. Laurent and a bar/disco on Jean Talon called Punta Cana.

(Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed in the names of these places...Zero originality here.)

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
Meredith said:
I know that there is a restaurant in Toronto called, "The Friendly Dominican Restaurant". It's really good. I can't recall where it is located though

I've been to the friendly Dominican, it's at 879 St. Clair Ave W, intersection Dufferin st. and St. Clair. Tel. no. (416)658-6364. Don't recall many Dominicans in the restaurant when I was there however the employees are Dominican and perhaps they can tell you where the Dominicans hang out in TO.

eric

Feb 13, 2002
Eljayiano

Come on down to Massachusetts.We have several Dominican communities here.Lawrence,lots of dance clubs,several good restaraunts,Salisbury beach in the summer,no Dominican clubs but plenty of Dominicans!The party is on the beach!Except for the water temp,and lack of palm trees,you would swear you are in the DR!Well almost.I don't have official stats,but I bet Massachusetts has the second or third largest Dominican population in North America.We need to get someone like Mobrouser or CES (someone who knows where to look for such info)to make it official.Thats one of the things about this area I really like.I was at a good Dominican restaraunt in Lawrence the other day.Small and family owned.The waitress doesn't speak English as she hasn't been here long and most customers speak Spanish.The food is good and I get to help her with her English and she helps me with Spanish.I get to hang out and pretend for a couple of hours that I'm in the DR.Now that I'm reading this and not just thinking it,it looks pretty pathetic.I think I will go see a travel agent tomorrow.Its almost low season right?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Eric.....

Would you be kind enough to disclose the name of the restaurant you like in Lawrence,Mass? I wouldn't mind checking it out myself one of these days.

thanks,
mondongo

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
I hear there is a very popular Dominican bar in North Bay, I think its called Sankies .

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Actually there are only two Dominicans.....

in North Bay and neither of them are sanki's. They're both female.....One is a lab technician and the other is studing to be a teacher. They both come from the Puerto Plata/Costabar area and are very intelligent ladies.
Maybe you'd like to come meet them Terry. I'd be more than happy to arrange introductions. They could give you some real insight into the Dominican psyche.

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
Momm C

I probably know more Dominicans here In Toronto than you do in Juan Dolio.There are thousands of hard working Dominicans here.
I am well aware of the "Dominican Psyche" .

But yours I am not to sure about. I am at a loss why you visit the D.R.,you dont seem to have a high regard for Dominicans.

Terry

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You probably do Terry if you live in Toronto......

I'm a 3 1/2 hour drive from TO and don't get down near as often as I used to in my "younger" days before there were very many Dominicans there. I'm also not part of the "club" scene so when out friends told us where they hang out I really didn't pay much attention and as that was a couple of years ago I don't remember the name of the place. One of our friends works as a "bouncer" in one of the bars however his phone is no longer in service so we're waiting for him to contact us now that we're home to give us his new number (this is a regular occurance so we know come May he'll be calling to come up for a visit and some fishing!!).
Actually most of the Dominicans we know live in Los Conucos,Guaycanes, Boca Chica, San Cristobal,Santo Domingo and San Pedro. Since you've been to Juan Dolio you know it's a resort area village and not too many Dominicans live there. We do know a lot of those that do however and most of them know us because of all the "stuff" we bring for them or the clinic or the school when we come........
And what have you done lately?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Funny how these threads become pissin' contests

There is a smaller group of Dominicans in the Peterborough area. They are from Santiago. The woman is a former student of mine, and according to her hubby, she knows all the Dominicans in Canada, eh?

Send me an e-mail if you want to get in touch...

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Funny you should mention Peterborough......

We have a Dominican friend there also!! His wife (common law....he still hasn't got his divorce from the one that brought him to Canada) is Canadian and their little boy is a darling!!! He's originally from Boca Chica - his mom and brothers/sisters still live there but he lived in Juan Dolio as a resort worker for several years before making it to Canada about ten years ago.
He's hoping to move back to the DR....to Boca Chica in another 10 yrs. once he has enough money to "live comfortably" but I doubt if his "wife" will last long. She's definitely NOT the DR. type.....

eric

Feb 13, 2002
Mondongo

The name of the place is the Restaraunt Melinda.Its on Broadway street(rt 28) directly across from the Punto Final Dance Club.Now its nothing fancy.It is very small,but the food is good.I was passing by it one day when I seen the Presidente sign in the window.I went in for a beer and the food looked good,so I couldn't resist.Now I stop in for lunch whenever I am working in Lawrence.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hee - the Punto Final disco? Sounds intimidating!

(Eric - Na na nah na...Na na nah na....Hey-eh-eh...Good-bye...)

D

Dubld

Dominican Clubs in T.O.

Our hispanic community is not too large (somewhere in the area of 400.000..) and maily from Central or South America. There are a few discos that you will find the few Dominicans at...El Rancho on Cleege street and Plaza Flamingo right across the street. There is also a Dominican Social Club somewhere in Weston-mailny a large dark room for drinking, etc! Or try Latin night at the Courthouse on Adelaide Street (Fridays only). You will eventually meet some Domincans as well as many others that love to dance!

eric

Feb 13, 2002
Punto Final

Hey I never go there.You know us white guys can't dance!They won't laugh at us to our face at a resort in the DR(bad for tourism),but they sure as hell do at the Punto Final!If you go there,you had better know how to dance!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Eric...I thought you would get my hockey lingo...Helloo? I'm taunting you!

I repeat: Na na nah na...Na na nah na....Hey-eh-eh...Good-bye...