Thought I’d seen it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Earlier this week, a neighbor (who we never met) died. He owned 60 tareas. 

Almost immediately after he died, other neighbors descended on the land with wooden stakes and wire, and started marking off “their” lots. Our caretaker showed up at 7, and told us our maid is there staking her claim (she’s still not here). Yesterday, two different people asked Mr AE if he wanted to buy a lot. 

How can anyone think this is legal?  Buyer beware doesn’t even begin to apply. 

I’m told if the man’s children/siblings/etc show up, the squatters can all be arrested. But if no one claims it, they believe it’s then theirs. Meanwhile, they’re happily clearing the land with machetes. 

Another “Only in DR” moment. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Earlier this week, a neighbor (who we never met) died. He owned 60 tareas. 

Almost immediately after he died, other neighbors descended on the land with wooden stakes and wire, and started marking off “their” lots. Our caretaker showed up at 7, and told us our maid is there staking her claim (she’s still not here). Yesterday, two different people asked Mr AE if he wanted to buy a lot. 

How can anyone think this is legal?  Buyer beware doesn’t even begin to apply. 

I’m told if the man’s children/siblings/etc show up, the squatters can all be arrested. But if no one claims it, they believe it’s then theirs. Meanwhile, they’re happily clearing the land with machetes. 

Another “Only in DR” moment. 

you are pulling our legs....you must be.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Wow. Not to mention disrespectful to the recently deceased.

I am always amazed to watch squatters camps go up. You drive by once and see a blue tarp. Couple weeks later a pile of Presidentes, Later more tarps and junk wood walls.

I've never asked, but there must be no law that grants land rights after a certain amount of squatting time.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They are practicing "redistribution of Wealth" ... bless their little hearts ...

but seriously , that is just sad ...the thinking behind it, and the act of trying to SCAM Sell something they clearly do not own.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Nothing in this country surprises me anymore. The utter lack of respect for someone's life or property seems to be normal.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife and I were interested in buying a lot here in Jarabacoa. The owner was deseased and his widower, who lives in Santo Domingo was selling. There is a lady that has been farming this lot for the past 15 years without permission. She said the owner gave her permission the deseased owner say she didn't have permission and has been chased off several time. Now the squatter has got a lawyer to say that she is entitled to part of the property for looking after it for the past 15 years. The poor lady in SD doesn't have the money to fight this in court. We told her we are out of here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maid showed up about 15 minutes ago, and now I have more details. According to her, he didn’t just die, he’s been dead awhile. She claims that there is a time frame, during which someone has to claim the land, and when that passes, it’s up for grabs. 

Sounds fishy to me. 

I sent her home. 

Mr AE just heard a young man across the road returning home, upset because he ran out of wire. 

It’s a frenzy!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My wife and I were interested in buying a lot here in Jarabacoa. The owner was deseased and his widower, who lives in Santo Domingo was selling. There is a lady that has been farming this lot for the past 15 years without permission. She said the owner gave her permission the deseased owner say she didn't have permission and has been chased off several time. Now the squatter has got a lawyer to say that she is entitled to part of the property for looking after it for the past 15 years. The poor lady in SD doesn't have the money to fight this in court. We told her we are out of here.

Mr AE recommends the lady in Santo Domingo hire a lawyer who will accept a piece of the property for payment. 

Not a bad idea 

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
"Tierra invadida" is a common thing - and the law, somewhat, supports it. If there is no deslinde, and no actual title for the land someone from the family has to come up with documentation to prove that it is theirs. This particular situation is a little fishy because the land is newly "ownerless", usually tierra invadida is land that has been empty for while (a long while), like is the case in Santiago Oeste. There is a large swath of land on the "other" side of the cienfuegos canal that is purportedly owned by the Munoz family, (along with land on "this" side of the canal), but they've been absent for so long that the squatters now have rights to titles as long as they go through the proper channels.

Our foundation bought a piece of land in Santiago about 8 years ago in los reyes, near the new jardin botanico, that when we went to build miraculously had 9 other owners who all showed up with deeds of sale to tell us we were building on their land. We've been in court since then (no lie) with the Serulle family trying to get our money back. They claim they have none. (what a joke)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Maid showed up about 15 minutes ago, and now I have more details. According to her, he didn’t just die, he’s been dead awhile. She claims that there is a time frame, during which someone has to claim the land, and when that passes, it’s up for grabs. 

Sounds fishy to me. 

I sent her home. 

Mr AE just heard a young man across the road returning home, upset because he ran out of wire. 

It’s a frenzy!
Wanna bet there is no actual title on this property?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I should have foreseen this....Mr AE has gone over to see the land and the segregated lots. 

At least he didn’t go with wire and wood stakes, :)

There may be photos to follow. 

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I think you just may have missed a big Opportunity here ... would be a Hoot if these people with their purchases of Posts and Fences, get the last Laugh ..
beats throwing money away at the Banca ,or betting on the Roosters.

just saying.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
This really shouldn't surprise us, after all, it was our choice to live in a cartoon. I just didn't think it woukd be this silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.