money makes the world go round

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why dominicans call money "chele", "cuarto" and "clavo"? a little bit of language and a little bit of history in educational article in listin diario today:
https://www.listindiario.com/econom...icano-le-llama-cuarto-clavo-o-chele-al-dinero

i don't remember ever hearing "clavo" in reference to money but "cuarto" (cuaLto as most people would say it) and "chele" are very common. i've also heard "plata" which is kinda self explanatory.
miespso also brought up "hoja", "papeleta" and "tabla".

what dominican words/expressions for "money" do you know?

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Efectivo or efe and billete (El tiene billete!= He has a lot of cash/He's rich).

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Many years ago there was a coin called a cuarto (cualto if you're from the Cibao) It was printed on the coin itself. Back in those days, people were paid in "cuartos"

That is where the phrase "dame my cuarto" comes from.

Cuarto_de_Real_1848.jpg

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Many years ago there was a coin called a cuarto (cualto if you're from the Cibao) It was printed on the coin itself. Back in those days, people were paid in "cuartos"

That is where the phrase "dame my cuarto" comes from.

Cuarto_de_Real_1848.jpg

I have a few 1/4 coins as part of my collection. I wonder how much are they worth ?  Are 1/4 the same as a 'mota' ?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Basically, all of South America uses plata for money and so do I. It’s also very common in the Financial Services industry in Latin America. Plata is not common at all in the DR, PR and Cuba since each island has an even more local word as evidenced by examples in the thread.

I remember many years ago on a beach in Colombia a kid came up to me and said dame 25 peseta’ and I just looked at him and said no, no te doy nada.

-MP.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I think plata is much more Central and Northern South America. I don't think I've ever heard it in the DR.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I think plata is much more Central and Northern South America. I don't think I've ever heard it in the DR.

I appreciate your comment and of course our experience differs. However,  I have worked with clients from every Spanish-speaking South American country except two and all say plata when referring to money. Therefore, it is not just the Northern South American countries. It is from Colombia right to Uruguay. 

In the Financial Services sector it was always Hoy voy a mandar plata para saldar la cuenta.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
listin diario continues the subject with a nice article about the history of money in DR:
https://www.listindiario.com/econom...rrido-por-la-historia-de-la-moneda-dominicana

I don’t know if anyone that posted in thread actually read the articles but I found it interesting that RD had a monetary system long before other countries in the Americas. As well, it is interesting that the name of the first coin phased out fast. Cuarto which was introduced during the colonial period has survived the passage of time which I find surprising because the actual coin itself can change (I say this with regards to any currency).    

Cuarto very DR. Dinero very generic in Spanish.

-MP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i guess DR was the first for many things: cathedral, university, money.