Gov official says too much drinking in the DR!?!?!?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Please, tell me something that I don't know? The availability and ease in which to purchase alcohol is part of the problem. It seems just about every shop in the DR can sell the stuff. Drinking and driving laws are only now being taken with any seriousness and every holiday revolves around the party atmosphere. It's hard to legislate a vice that is part of the fabric of the DR but at some point I can see the DR Gov. revising the laws on what types of retail locations can have license to sell hard liquor. They could make a small fortune on requiring store owners to pay a hefty fee for an actual liquor license. They could also start a major protest over this. Tread lightly and be careful what you wish for.

Feb 7, 2007
Liquor licenses and ABC stores is an Anglo-Saxon thing (US/Canada/UK etc.)

They don't exist anywhere in Latin America or Europe Europe (with the exception of UK); you can buy liquor freely, in any store. No need to change that and make the DR even more Americanized than it already is.

Anyway I don't worry much about this, take away cerveza y romo from Dominicans, and the government that does that, is not going to be government next time around.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Please, tell me something that I don't know? The availability and ease in which to purchase alcohol is part of the problem. It seems just about every shop in the DR can sell the stuff. Drinking and driving laws are only now being taken with any seriousness and every holiday revolves around the party atmosphere. It's hard to legislate a vice that is part of the fabric of the DR but at some point I can see the DR Gov. revising the laws on what types of retail locations can have license to sell hard liquor. They could make a small fortune on requiring store owners to pay a hefty fee for an actual liquor license. They could also start a major protest over this. Tread lightly and be careful what you wish for.

Some of like things the way they are. Some of us are not at all interested
in seeing things change (hence the desire to live in a under developed country
without all the damn laws) I wish these people would do me a favor and take
a long walk off a short pier.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm still not sure why anyone thinks selling beer and wine is ok but not hard liquor or spirits. One shot of 40% alcohol is the same as a 5 oz glass of wine or a 12oz bottle of normal beer. So if you drink 6 of any, your blood alcohol is the same. Granted the average person can down more shots than beers but drink for drink you still get just as tipsy.

And as Cristo Ray said enough with the rules. If you miss the rules of north America or Europe they have flights going back everyday.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Rubio, really?  no special license or permission of any kind?  Just go to the wholesaler buy in bulk then sell retail?  

Are there rules about making homemade spirits and selling them? Can a person buy/make a distillery and sell the rum equivalent of moonshine?  

just asking.  Not provoking.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Rubio, really?  no special license or permission of any kind?  Just go to the wholesaler buy in bulk then sell retail?  

Are there rules about making homemade spirits and selling them? Can a person buy/make a distillery and sell the rum equivalent of moonshine?  

Moonshine is all over where we live. It’s called claren (sp???). 

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
interesting.  thank you.  apparently it's the hip new thing in Brooklyn.  apartment sized distillers.  along with stove top coffee roasting.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Moonshine is all over where we live. It’s called claren (sp???). 

There were recent (last several months) reports of deaths linked to this alcohol within one of the border provinces. I believe there was a thread within this forum dedicated to it.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I don’t drink, so no. I think my husband tried it - once was enough.   Last I heard, it was 60 pesos a bottle. 
 There were several deaths from consuming contaminated cleren a few weeks ago; according to the newspaper articles. I know a limpiabotas who is a mini celebrity on El Conde who partakes of the spirit in question on the  weekend and is a mess come Monday morning. Not a pretty sight. 

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It's an on going problem in most countries. As soon as the government starts over taxing alcohol the poor start making home made stuff that will literally kill you.
Everyone gets in an uproar but nothing is ever done because the government will not give up the tax base of high priced alcohol.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I agree with a previous poster that if you want all the rules and regs of the US then hop on a flight and get your butt back under the thumb of the Gov. and IRS. As for me, I hope they never adopt the US system as I'll have to leave and find a new Wild Wild West.

Feb 7, 2007

With legal alcohol, yes, you can buy wholesale. For moonshine, you can do your own moonshine as no ATF will be riding your house, but of course you cannot sell it, that's illegal. Also there are legal and licensed distilleries which will distill legal moonshine for your own consumption from your own brought ingredients (fruits etc.). Though the distilling process is only undertaken by themselves and they are the ones who pour in ethanol so you don't end up accidentally pouring in methanol.

As for the last question, you can buy a distillery and start producing rum, just register a company, apply for the health certificate for the product, and you should be good to go. You will also have to pay taxes for both corporate tax, VAT and excise tax.

Last edited:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
 There were several deaths from consuming contaminated cleren a few weeks ago; according to the newspaper articles. I know a limpiabotas who is a mini celebrity on El Conde who partakes of the spirit in question on the  weekend and is a mess come Monday morning. Not a pretty sight. 

Does he go by the name "chic" on DR1. Haven't heard from him in a long time. I kinda miss his unique sense of how life works.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Does he go by the name "chic" on DR1. Haven't heard from him in a long time. I kinda miss his unique sense of how life works.

Ya what happened to chic? Someone claimed he was Korean and was posting from of all places.........Korea.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you don't stop, you could go blind, or worse.

Or it was methyl and not ethyl alcohol.

Methanol Toxicity
Methyl alcohol (methanol) is the bad stuff that could be found in moonshine. Pure methanol is very dangerous and it is definitely able to cause blindness and even kill people. As little as 10 ml of pure methanol could blind someone and as little as 30 ml could kill someone. 30 mililiters is equivalent to the amount of liquid in a standard shot glass.

How is Methanol Produced?
Methanol is found naturally in certain fruits and vegetables. It may also be produced as an unintended byproduct during the fermentation process. Spirits distilled from fruits, such as apples, oranges, and grapes, are more likely to contain methanol. Both beer and wine generally contain methanol. Studies have determined that wine can contain as much as 329 mg/L and beer may contain somewhere on the order of 16 mg/L. This makes distilled wine (grappa, brandy, etc.) potentially more dangerous than all grain shine - such as corn whiskey.

Why is Methanol A Concern for Moonshiners?
If wine contains methanol but doesn't pose a risk of methanol poisoning then why is it potentially dangerous to drink once distilled? The difference is that the methanol concentration in, say, 5 gallons of wine, is evenly distributed among the 5 gallons. For someone to ingest a potentially dangerous amount they would need to ingest more than 5 gallons....or 28 bottles!

During the distillation process methanol is concentrated at the start of the run because it has a lower boiling point than ethanol and water. The boiling point of methanol is approximately 148 degrees farenheit, which is quite a bit lower than ethanol (the good stuff). This means that methanol (148F boiling temp) will start to boil before the ethanol (174F boiling temp). This is why moonshiners always throw out the first bit of shine they produce from each run (more on this below).

Here are a few examples of the dangers of methanol:

If 5 gallons of wine containing the abovementioned concentration of methanol (329mg/L) were distilled, there could be as much as 8 mL of methyl alcohol in the first jar - a potentially dangerous amount.
Scale this up to a 100 gallon batch, distilled all at the same time in a large still, and you could potentially have a very big problem if the methanol was not discarded. Distilling 100 gallons of wine containing 329 mg/L of methanol could result in the concentration of 40ml of methanol, which could be fatal if someone drank it all at once.

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/bl...207958-methanol-will-moonshine-make-you-blind

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I haven't seen it here, but other islands men will fill a gallon glass jug full of herbs, bark, and sugar cane leaves and fill it with raw rum/moonshine. They leave it out in the sun with the cap slightly loose.

The men claim it's good for their manhood and stamina, but it has the added benefit of evaporating off any methyl alcohol making it safer to drink.

I still wouldn't touch it because of lead and other metals could be lurking

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Some of like things the way they are. Some of us are not at all interested
in seeing things change (hence the desire to live in a under developed country
without all the damn laws) I wish these people would do me a favor and take
a long walk off a short pier.

The world is changing my friend, even in "developing countries". I am the messenger so of course your first reaction was to shoot at me. I was simply passing on what a politician in the DR stated. I think your opinion might change if someone, who was drunk ran you or a family member over. Nobody wants to take away your precious right to drink wherever and whenever. You want to live in a country without laws? I'm sure I can find you one.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The world is changing my friend, even in "developing countries". I am the messenger so of course your first reaction was to shoot at me. I was simply passing on what a politician in the DR stated. I think your opinion might change if someone, who was drunk ran you or a family member over. Nobody wants to take away your precious right to drink wherever and whenever. You want to live in a country without laws? I'm sure I can find you one.

I'm not shooting the messenger. I'm just saying I prefer to live in a country where I can do as
I please so long as I'm not hurting someone else or intentionally trying to impact their life in a
negative way. I've already lost friends due to other people's actions while intoxicated and in no
way does it or will it change my opinion. I do not view my ability to drink an alcoholic beverage
on a sidewalk or with my feet in the sand as a "precious right".

I do not want to live in a country without laws. However I do believe in personal freedom(s) and
all I am saying is... I like things the way they are. We don't a bunch of over zealous power hungry
pricks trying to run our lives like all of those worthless good for nothing two faced politicians back
in the US.