EYEGLASS PURCHASE

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good day,

I arrived many moons ago from the USA with several eyeglasses. My eyes are pretty bad.
The time has come where I do need to purchase new ones. Any recommandation on an Optica? It seems that Optica Lopez is a major outlet. I am looking in Santo Domingo.
Also, I am interested in transition glasses. Are these a lot more expensive than regular ones?

Thank you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can't specifically answer your question about DR optical opportunities as my DNA precludes me from even considering such a steeple chase.

I went to an optician here in the DR and got a semi legible updated prescription. I went online to one of the many discount eyewear sites in the US. I uploaded my prescription and ordered a very cheap pair of glasses. When they arrived, I tried them out to make sure I could see things to my satisfaction, went to a Puerto Plata eyeglass place where they helped bend the frames to fit my face. While there, I was floored by the cost to have this place produce my next set of glasses locally.

Satisfied with the ordered pair and able to get them fitted easily, I went back online and purchased a better pair of everyday glasses and a couple pairs of sunglasses with polarized lenses and all the coatings.

Cheaper in the end, a better frame selection and better coating/lens options online than available to me in Puerto Plata. Things may be different in the big cities, but like I said, I choose not to dink around procuring the important things in this country. It's so much easier, better quality workmanship and a better replacement guarantee doing it from home, imo.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@Cdn_Gringo when shipped did they tax you on the glasses because a good pair of eyeglasses with all the lens trimmings can easily be over $200 USD.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo orders frames online and has prescription lenses fitted locally. he gets transition lenses and they are more expensive, will ask him how much he paid last time.
i am half blind myself but i stick to contact lenses. regular glasses do not work for me anymore. i really like his transition glasses tho. seems like a good idea in DR.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I ordered my daily regular eye glasses separate from the sunglasses to keep the cost under the tax limit.

Free shipping to Miami so it made no difference how many individual orders I placed. You should not have to spend $200 on a good pair of glasses if you shop the online discounters. Lenses and frames are like mattresses, usually marked up beyond any reasonable price point by the optical houses. My cheapie test pair to verify the prescription came to $35.95.

I think transition lens were around $65 before for extras. Fine for walking around but from bright sun to darkness in a tunnel while driving a bit of a problem.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I ordered my daily regular eye glasses separate from the sunglasses to keep the cost under the tax limit.

Free shipping to Miami so it made no difference how many individual orders I placed. You should not have to spend $200 on a good pair of glasses if you shop the online discounters. Lenses and frames are like mattresses, usually marked up beyond any reasonable price point by the optical houses. My cheapie test pair to verify the prescription came to $35.95.

I think transition lens were around $65 before for extras. Fine for walking around but from bright sun to darkness in a tunnel while driving a bit of a problem.

Transition lenses can be bifocal transitions, not just for light so potus what type of transition are you talking about. I have Nikon bi-focal lenses that transition from near sighted portion to reading portion without a line, the larger the area of the lenses that is covered by this transition the more expense the lenses.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The detail with transitions lenses in tropical countries is the hotter the weather, the slower it activates and rarely gets really dark. It doesn't activate much either inside a car because you don't have the sun shining directly on them. I ended up splurging a bit last year and got a pair that had sun glass magnetic clip (they're not common anymore as a combo) plus the transition on my regular lens. This way when I really need protection, I clip on the darker, polarized clip and when I don't need it, my normal lens takes over.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Transition lenses can be bifocal transitions, not just for light so potus what type of transition are you talking about. I have Nikon bi-focal lenses that transition from near sighted portion to reading portion without a line, the larger the area of the lenses that is covered by this transition the more expense the lenses.

This is what they are also called: Photochromic lenses

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Any feedback on Optica Lopez or the general accuracy of following the prescription.......(I assume they use the same equipment as everywhere else here. Therefore I hope all should be fine.....).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Get a local script and then order online, works out a lot cheaper. You should also get your script checked at a couple of different places. You get good and bad optometrists.

I remember many moons ago explaining to an "optometrist" in an Optica Lopez store why the Auto-refractor (default settings) they used needed to be set to a vertex distance of 13.5mm and not 12mm (Yes, I have a background in optics). She had no idea that Asian eyes had a shorter distance from the back curve of the glasses lens to the cornea, she was shocked but changed the setttings. After that, I always got a second opinion on my script :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, i asked. miesposo paid about 6k pesos for his lenses. plus the frame. so to speak, because his glasses are frameless. it's cheaper with regular frames.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........You should not have to spend $200 on a good pair of glasses if you shop the online discounters. Lenses and frames are like mattresses, usually marked up beyond any reasonable price point by the optical houses. My cheapie test pair to verify the prescription came to $35.95.............

I respectfully disagree as eyeglasses and lenses with the trimmings can easily get over $200 USD online or not. Start with a good quality frame with hinged arms, progressive/transition lenses, add on UV coating, scratch resistant, and you will see how quick you break that $200 dollar mark.

Don't believe me just go to any online eyeglass place and see the prices..................

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I respectfully disagree as eyeglasses and lenses with the trimmings can easily get over $200 USD online or not. Start with a good quality frame with hinged arms, progressive/transition lenses, add on UV coating, scratch resistant, and you will see how quick you break that $200 dollar mark.

Don't believe me just go to any online eyeglass place and see the prices..................

Online would not be an option.......cheap ones for me in the USA were more than USD200 already 13 years ago........

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Online would not be an option.......cheap ones for me in the USA were more than USD200 already 13 years ago........

Exactly, I can't remember the last time I bought frames and lenses in the $200 price range. I have ordered replacement lenses online but prefer to try on the frames. I usually wait for a sale at BJ's or Costco. At least this way any problems or refitting I can get it taken care of free of charge.

POTUS maybe give that place Dolores suggested in the other thread and let us know how you make out.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
14 years ago I paid 18000 for progressives, when the peso was close to 30.  Last year I paid 5000 for progressive with hard coating.  I am smarter and took a Dominican friend with me.