Vistors Visa

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
My mother in law has a 10 year visa to visit the USA. Question is can she stay with us for 4 months or is there a limit?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My mother in law has a 10 year visa to visit the USA. Question is can she stay with us for 4 months or is there a limit?

I heard that you can stay up to 6 months, but inmigration prefer you dont unless you have a lot a lot money to prove that you are on vacations, the max of a regular person get for vacations is 30 days, other than that they can assume that she is not visitting that she is living there, and as the name says is Visitor visa.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

With a 10 year multiple entry visa you can stay up to a maximum of 6 months cumulative per year, however, the immigration officer at the time of entry can limit your stay for whatever time period he wants.

Check your entry stamp to see if your stay is restricted. Unless indicated, you can stay a maximum of 6 months.

Jan 9, 2004

The maximum stay as others have indicated is six months. That stay can be extended for an additional six months under narrow extenuating circumstances, i. e., caring for a sick family member.

Note however those who do multiple entry almost six month stays over the course of the 10 year visa now run a heavy risk of denial when time for renewal......unless they can also establish a valid reason or reasons for those stays. Immigration is aware that many come here and work illegally...then return home for a 6 month period....then return. That has now become a red flag.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011

Maximum visitor stay for Mother-in-law in my house is one week. No exceptions. (And even that is TOO LONG!) (;-)

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
They stamped her visa for 6 months. She cannot work due to her ability to stand. We are helping her because we love her. #bestmotherinlaw