Four motorcycle deaths in one week through Cabarete

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
This is getting ridiculous.  Four motorcycle related deaths in Cabarete just this last week.

We actually witnessed one young lad lying in the road opposite Banco BHD on Monday, with his leg hanging half off, and later learned that he died of his injuries.

Two more later on in the week, and last night my friend's brother in law was killed on his bike in Cabarete.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
The sad thing about those motorcycle deaths is that the majority of them can be prevented if those idiots would only obey basic traffic rules and use common sense. Thinning of the herd I suppose. Very sad.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is getting ridiculous.  Four motorcycle related deaths in Cabarete just this last week.

We actually witnessed one young lad lying in the road opposite Banco BHD on Monday, with his leg hanging half off, and later learned that he died of his injuries.

Two more later on in the week, and last night my friend's brother in law was killed on his bike in Cabarete.

i am amazed that the death rate is not higher. i watch these guys in POP riding these Japanese crotch rockets at bird speed, in shorts and tank tops, no helmets. it is an attitude thing. nobody obeys the lights, they ride wherever they feel like, give no signals, have no lights. i am amazed that anybody is still alive.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
It's very simply remedied, make sure people only ride and drive with a valid license, and also make sure they go for a training and pass proper test to qualify for a license.... siiiigh - wait a minute, that is already in place... lol

Whenever I ride my bike, I know I am risking it, but then again life will be very boring otherwise. Reduce the risk as much as possible, but that's all you can do.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They ride in the DR, like we used to ride on dirt Track back in the day . Just not a care in the world .
... but, we had helmets and full padding & Proper BOOTS, which is Key .. so you could take quite a fall, and it was on dirt not pavement...
These kids seem to have no fear , and NONE have ANY riding Gear , not even proper Boots, nor a helmet , and that is a deadly deadly recipe..
I am sure some of our esteemed Biker Posters here , are quite experienced and accomplished at riding all over the DR on Bikes of all sizes will chime in with more intel on these disturbing Death stats ..
Sincere Condolences to the families.
that is quite a weeks death toll ...for one little town ? just wow.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
All those deaths and even more injuries. And still we see them doing high-speed wheelies every evening through the busy Cabarete main street.

May 8, 2009
It’s sad when an innocent bystander is injured. If they choose to risk their life, it’s their choice; just don’t kill anyone else while doing it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It’s sad when an innocent bystander is injured. If they choose to risk their life, it’s their choice; just don’t kill anyone else while doing it.

and that, my friend, is the problem. some of these mopes do not realize that their medieval stunts might very well end up in disaster to unwitting bystanders..

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
and that, my friend, is the problem. some of these mopes do not realize that their medieval stunts might very well end up in disaster to unwitting bystanders..

I think most of them realize but just don't care.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think most of them realize but just don't care.

very true. the guys who drive through neighborhoods at 4 am, with their car stereos at full blast, realize they are disturbing people who are trying to sleep. they just don't care. same deal.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Only 4 in a week. Watching these idiots you would think it would be much higher. I wonder what the actual number per day is in the DR. Not the crap the government tells the media but the actual number of motorcycle related deaths.

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
It is terrible what happened, but it is not always the fault of the motorcyclists,
Saturday our gardener who worked for us for more than 20 years, and for others in Pro Cab, comes from his work in Perla Marina was fatally injured, this was 100% not his fault, by reckless driving.
But a truck was too close to him and hit him.
The truck driver is in prison, but he does not bring back the father of 3 children, and his wife her husband.
Sorry for my english.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
A lot of the fault has to rest with the authorities for not enforcing the laws that are in place ....not going after people who drive through red lights ...not wearing helmets ....carrying a bus load of passengers on one bike ....driving and drinking at the same time
then add in the stupidity of these drivers ...it is amazing not more people are killed

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A lot of the fault has to rest with the authorities for not enforcing the laws that are in place ....not going after people who drive through red lights ...not wearing helmets ....carrying a bus load of passengers on one bike ....driving and drinking at the same time
then add in the stupidity of these drivers ...it is amazing not more people are killed

you are absolutely correct. the cops need to get some unmarked vehicles, and start pulling over guys for traffic violations. confiscate the bikes, and hit them with brutal fines. pay the note, get the bike back. like everywhere else, you have to hit folks in the wallets. painful medicine, but the infirmity is even worse..

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....................not wearing helmets ....carrying a bus load of passengers on one bike ....

I am in total agreement with this but the reality is a vast majority could not afford a DOT approved helmet for themselves nor for a passenger also. As far as a bus load of passengers how else would they get the family from point A to point B? Sometimes necessity overrules safety.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There is an article in Diario Libre today which is reporting that 84% of road accidents involve motorcycles which is an even higher figure than has previously been mentioned.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...o-estan-involucrados-motoconchistas-YY9753313

Because the young and uneducated teens get cheap, unrepairable Chinese crap motos for low payments, no insurance, no lights then they think everyone is impressed with their riding skills zipping in & out of traffic and making noise.

Remember when you were 7 and you put playing cards in the spokes of your bicycle - that's what these moto-punks remind me of.

Sad part is the DR government officials don't have the huevos of responsibility to insist that the malfunctioning and reckless be taken off the road. Because they all have a Tio & Abuela and they vote.

The safe and responsible motorcycle riders are given a bad name by these miscreants.

Jan 7, 2016
It's the same way here in Punta Cana...was going to Fruisa one day and there was a car/motor mix-up on the main street and there were two people laying on the pavement clutching their legs. Later that afternoon, was in the bakery in Cortecito and noticed a gal sitting on the couch with a large ice bag on both her knees. The owner of the bakery said they get 2-3 people a week in there to recover slightly after a moto wreck of some kind. She was a paying passenger on the moto I saw down in Fruisa! I don't know how many times I've been using my signals for a left turn and some Bozo on a moto breezes by on the left lane going the same way I am. They just aren't observant of anything in their environment and they're the first ones who will complain to the Policia National about the "Gringo" who took them out!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

As happened to one of the teachers at my kids school.  He was walking along the pavement in Charamicos when some punk on a Moto pulled a wheelie and lost control.  He killed that teacher.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
And God forbid you get in an accident with one of them because no matter who's fault it is......it's YOUR fault.