$ or pesos

sand

Apr 22, 2002
peut on payer les hotels en pesos lorsque les prix sont donn?s en dollars ?
Y gagne t'on ?
Sandrine

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
you can pay all hotels in pesos, most will take $US dollars but will not give you a good rate of exchange. If you use Visa or Mastercard you can pay some hotels with that, and you will get the best exchange rate.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
kjdrga said:
you can pay all hotels in pesos, most will take $US dollars but will not give you a good rate of exchange. If you use Visa or Mastercard you can pay some hotels with that, and you will get the best exchange rate.

While officially all hotels charge pesos and if you use a credit card they will charge it in pesos, they for the most part in Boca Chica charge in US$ and then you are at the mercy of the rate THEY use to convert US$ TO--> pesos first.

Then the bank that issues your card works out the rate for pesos BACK to US$ if you are US or to CDN$ as I am.

So you have to ask the hotel first what they use as a rate. The place I use charges 17 which is OK and I do get a OK rate on the card statement from RD$ to CDN4. I use the card mainly to get American Airlines points, otherwise I'd pay cash.

Also a great many will likely take US$ cash and maybe "forget" the ITBIS 12% tax if there is no record of the deal shall we say, no harm in asking.