Help choosing a veterinarian for cat 'fix'

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
A pregnant feral cat has shown up at our door in Costambar and has given birth to 4 kittens. We have no prior experience with cats and need help in selecting a vet for a 'fix', as we wish to keep her. I've searched the archives but found no recent recommendations.
Is Dr. Bob still practicing? Can Heidi (Asociation de Amigos) be a good choice? Should we avoid the vet in PP?
The kittens are now about 1 month old and painfully CUTE!!
All responses will be appreciated.

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
If you know Patricia at El Carey ... she can give you the name of the vet used by the individuals with the DRDC... They also do neutering clinics from time to time in Costambar.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dr de la Cruz,,, Sosua,,,, just great - young, capable & has some English if you need it

Veterinaria Dr. De La Cruz
(21) · Animal Hospital
19°46'22. 70°29'49., 5 0
+1 809-571-2982
Open ⋅ Closes 5 p.m.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
There is a great vet here in Puerto Plata, the street next to me. No need to go to sosua or cabarete or other campo lol.
If you drive on the malecon and take the street next to Acapella, you go up, take a left and then the first right. 20 meters up ahead. She is a Colombian women. One of the best vets in Puerto Plata.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
There is a great vet here in Puerto Plata, the street next to me. No need to go to sosua or cabarete or other campo lol.
If you drive on the malecon and take the street next to Acapella, you go up, take a left and then the first right. 20 meters up ahead. She is a Colombian women. One of the best vets in Puerto Plata.

I can recommend them too. The address is calle Las Caobas something. I had their business card but cannot locate that at right this moment. They used to have a their office at 27 de febrero and before that on Camino Real, we've used them for our dogs the last 8 years, and would not change and have only positive feedback.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
google suggest that it's called clinica veterinaria marcela?

You are right, just checked on Google myself. I recall the business card has the large title "Veterinaria POP", I don't recall seeing "marcela" anywhere though, but cannot comment on the name, as other than the business card, I have no idea. On the building itself, they have no signs apart from a small "veterinaria" at all, no names, no nothing. It also looks like just a regular house outside, no signs of business really anywhere, apart from that small sign "veterinaria".

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
He killed my cat, took her in for not eating and she never made it out,
Dr. Bob, just past the gas station outside sosua towards Cabarete, quick right, he did my other cats

singletravel

Dr de la Cruz,,, Sosua,,,, just great - young, capable & has some English if you need it

Veterinaria Dr. De La Cruz
(21) · Animal Hospital
19°46'22. 70°29'49., 5 0
+1 809-571-2982
Open ⋅ Closes 5 p.m.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Thanks for all the help!

And special thanks to dot for suggesting that I talk to Patricia from El Carey. She went out of her way to contact the folks that do the clinics and was also helpful in dealing with the surgery.
A 'shout-out' also to BelgianMik and josh2203 for steering me to The Colombian doctor at "Veterinaria". Her address & phone#s are:Caobos #22, PP;809-261-1255 829-508-5335(C).

As I said in my initial post, we have no prior experience with cats. So the clinic's follow-up care (including both drops to be administered by mouth and a salve rubbed on her belly) sounded a bit difficult for us to pull off.
We never got the chance! We set the crate down in a covered area, near the place where the four kittens were hiding, thinking that was the best approach:the kittens had scrunched themselves in a corner behind a water tank and never appeared, even to eat or drink since the morning of the operation. When we went out later, Mooch was GONE! And stayed gone all night and the next day, finally showing up in the afternoon two days after the operation. Since then the kittens are constantly with her. Quite a touching sight. But why did she disappear like that???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
But why did she disappear like that???

our cats are all former street cats. there is one we call necio (a fitting name, btw) who used to be homeless stray and started to come inside our house through the window to eat. long story short one day he had a mega bad paw injury and was nearly dead. we took him to the vet, forked out cold hard cash to fix him up. brought him home, locked him up in a spare bathroom for post-op treatment. day one, all went well. he let us inject him in the ass with antibiotics, was all calm. the following night the fcuker jumped to a high window, opened it with a paw and we have not seen him for two or three days. he did recover from his surgery without further injections.

fast forward, having saved his mooching ass two more times from more injuries we now have him sleeping on the sofa and going out for walks with our dog.

so yeah, running away to lick the wounds in peace is kinda common and nothing to worry about.