Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Immigration has extended the stay for tourist

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hector L View Post
    I am now thoroughly confused. I am going to enter as a tourist for 45 days. Will I just pay the usual $10usd for a tourist
    card that is now good for 60 days not 30 before it is necessary to pay the overstay fee?
    You tourist card continues to be valid for 30 days but you can stay legally for up to 60 days and you pay overstay after your 30 day tourist card expires.

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Tourist cards, tourists visas, extensions of either, logistically problematic and confusing for this government and visitors.

Set up a website. Tourists go online at least 72 hours before they arrive in the DR and purchase a visitors visa (like Australia for example). Two options available. 30 days and 90 days priced accordingly. Passport and proof of online visa presented to the airline at check-in and to immigration upon arrival. Overstay the 30 day visa and the exit fee is $150. Overstay the 90 day visa $500.

Overstay twice in a five year period and the system declines to issue you another visa for a 5 year period. At the time of purchase, the system can check for any other conditions that might concern the authorities and refer potential problems to a local embassy for clarification.

Simple, straight forward, easy to implement, easy to enforce and everyone is playing on the same field. If people dying or getting injured here is an issue with people staying over 30 days, add a condition requiring proof of valid travel insurance coverage for the period visitors are in country.

The need to go somewhere after arriving to extend is stupid. The current process is stupid (imo) and needlessly onerous. But in my world, I realize that what I think always makes more sense to me than reality. I am so glad I have residency. At least between renewals, I don't have to deal with the apparent foolishness.

We'll just have to wait and see what settles out of the turbidity in time.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No confusion. If you are from Venezuela or Haiti you will have a problem. Any major Country you will not. They are looking to stop the Venezuelans that are coming in droves and working illegally and for less than Dominican salaries.

4. Likes Garyexpat, yacht chef, Caonabo, jinty05, ljmesg liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I , too, am confused .

The only bright spot is that I'm only an observer.

Somebody did catch a unicorn - they got the 60 day extension and reported it here

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is Melisa's statement in post #1: "The Immigration Department has extended the legal stay for tourist to 60 days..". This seems to imply that the tourist card will now be valid for 60 days. The letter from MIP seems to say the same(?).

Then, from the letter from MIP, those who need to stay in the country for more than 60 days need to apply for the applicable visa:

"...los nacionales extranjeros que pretendan permanecer en el pais por un periodo mayor a los 60 dias, por estudios, trabajo, residencia, inversion, o otra actividad cuya naturaleza requiera exceder el periodo establecido, deben solicitar el visado correspondiente....". "Tourist isn't mentioned - just students, workers, those applying for residence, investors, and others that have a specific need to stay longer(?).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hector L View Post
    I am now thoroughly confused.
    Join the club!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    No confusion. If you are from Venezuela or Haiti you will have a problem. Any major Country you will not. They are looking to stop the Venezuelans that are coming in droves and working illegally and for less than Dominican salaries.
    I don't see how this has anything to do with Venezuelans or Haitians. With maybe very, very few exceptions, they aren't coming here and travelling back and forth overstaying their tourist card. They are coming here to stay if at all possible. 99.9% of Haitians don't even have or qualify for a tourist visa.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to pay attention to all these worrying changes, but now I've decided that until I see evidence of someone being denied entry after overstaying, it will probably just continue to be "Business as Usual".

10. Likes yacht chef, pelaut liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Tourist cards, tourists visas, extensions of either, logistically problematic and confusing for this government and visitors.

Set up a website. Tourists go online at least 72 hours before they arrive in the DR and purchase a visitors visa (like Australia for example). Two options available. 30 days and 90 days priced accordingly. Passport and proof of online visa presented to the airline at check-in and to immigration upon arrival. Overstay the 30 day visa and the exit fee is $150. Overstay the 90 day visa $500.
    Whoa there buddy.
    Slow down. This isn't Australia.
    Things work just fine the way they are.
    There has been a lot talk in the news
    lately about the problems Venezuelans
    are having with immigration therefor
    bringing more attention to the issue.
    Probably has more to do with the negative
    press than denying entry to every single
    person who's ever overstayed their tourist
    card.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Im confused. whats the difference between a tourist card and a tourist visa? It seems this is speaking of the latter

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast